is it too late to get into wow?

piako

[H]ard|Gawd
btw is there a single box item you can buy to have the game plus all the expansions (new one)?

i'm thinking of doing this to get some experience for a possible master's thesis on user behavior concerning heavily synchronous encounters.

Not too late, just be sure you leave some bread crumbs to find your way back to RL..... :)

There's a Battlechest pack that includes the original game and the Burning Crusade expansion, but there won't be a pack including WotLK, BC, and the original game -- at least for a while.

There's a Battlechest pack that includes the original game and the Burning Crusade expansion, but there won't be a pack including WotLK, BC, and the original game -- at least for a while.

:p
What he said.

I'm also pretty sure you can just buy keys for the original and TBC online and download the client. It is a huge download though.

Nope, people are always rerolling and starting new characters. I currently am levelling a new toon 48 right now. I have no problems finding other people to group with in the case I want to instance, etc.

I'm actually suprised about the number of noobs in my guild. Alot of people without a single 70.

Never too late!

You can get the battlechest for 30-40 most places now. I'd get that and get to 70 THEN get the lich king exp. Recommended addons, Quest helper, autoprofitx, fubar(for me anyway), cartographer, ctmailmod and auctioneer.

I would never have my 70 in a guild that allowed non 70s... (Besides some alts)

Other then when my guild all started leveling, I agree LOL.

I quit WoW back in September after playing on and off since mid '06, deleted my five 70s and various other alts and uninstalled. The hardest thing for me is facing that 60 day game card in the store when I have money to burn in my pocket...but I have yet to indulge in that temptation...so far.

The WotLK release coming soon is killing me but luckly I have a large amount of non-MMORPG games to play through.

Never too late!

You can get the battlechest for 30-40 most places now. I'd get that and get to 70 THEN get the lich king exp. Recommended addons, Quest helper, autoprofitx, fubar(for me anyway), cartographer, ctmailmod and auctioneer.

Other then when my guild all started leveling, I agree LOL.

Hey, where do you get mods?

I don't think it's too late to get into WoW.

However, here are a few things to consider if you have never ever played it before.
From level 1 to level 60+ you will be pretty much on your own. Most players do not care to play in the Old World zones (those which were present during the original launch). This can be frustrating if you are trying to get some quests done which require groups, or instance runs. You will also often see some level 70 (or soon 80), running a lower level character through the content you need (i.e. kill some boss), and they will not invite you even though you asked nicely in chat.

The solution is to skip that content and just keep on leveling. It is trivial to level to 70 just by doing single player quests, and never worry about buying gear from the auction house. I recently leveled a Priest to 70, and up till the mid 60's I had a level 23 bracer. I didn't have any trouble at all killing quest mobs while being severely undergeared.

In most cases you will be paying $20 for the original WoW, and then $30 for the TBC expansion, although that pricing may change with the upcoming WotLK expansion ($40 for that).

So you need to put in at least $50 to just buy the game including one month of play time. Depending on your views on this, there are WoW accounts available for $150+ where you get a decent level 70 character and can skip the grind.

Right now is actually a pretty good time to buy an account, because in WotLK everyone will be a noob again, no one knows how the fights work (except the beta testers I suppose), and leveling from 70 to 80 will give you enough time to get comfortable with your class.

Either way though, it's never too late to get into WoW.

OP - i'm going to tell you the same thing i tell the rest of my friends who bring up WoW.

Don't do it man! You have too much to live for! :p

I quit WoW back in September after playing on and off since mid '06, deleted my five 70s and various other alts and uninstalled. The hardest thing for me is facing that 60 day game card in the store when I have money to burn in my pocket...but I have yet to indulge in that temptation...so far.

The WotLK release coming soon is killing me but luckly I have a large amount of non-MMORPG games to play through.

I'll help you fight your urge to buy the game some more, you can have a few of those characters restored level 70's are stored permanently, oh wait...

the greatest trick Blizzard ever pulled was convincing the world that real life didn't exist

I recently started playing again. Just to say i've played through to 70 and done raids etc. Its ok, but the last 10 levels are boring as shit. IMHO. The shear amount of XP it takes is just ridiculous.

In all reality, i don't find myself playing much after 70 and a few raids. Just too time consuming. (not to mention having other games and a life)

EDIT: I don't plan on picking up WoTLK.

btw is there a single box item you can buy to have the game plus all the expansions (new one)?

i'm thinking of doing this to get some experience for a possible master's thesis on user behavior concerning heavily synchronous encounters.

I think that's like asking if it's too late to start drugs.

OMG WOW is teh suc. ju n33d to play real games taht actually take skillz11!!1!!1!!1

I feel sorry for ne one that knows you because if you start playing WoW your just gonna 4get all about them. I l0st my bro to the horde man and he use to be like super awesome gamer with skillz.

OMG WOW is teh suc. ju n33d to play real games taht actually take skillz11!!1!!1!!1

I feel sorry for ne one that knows you because if you start playing WoW your just gonna 4get all about them. I l0st my bro to the horde man and he use to be like super awesome gamer with skillz.

sigh.. fail. :(

OT: In all honesty, it is never too late, everybody ends up having the same stuff in the game anyways.

On sale for $30 at my local best buy too.

I'll help you fight your urge to buy the game some more, you can have a few of those characters restored level 70's are stored permanently, oh wait...

You evil, evil, bastard! :D

Do want...do not want...do want...NUUUUUUUU...Shit, well it looks like I'm back in business.

what would you guys think of a user-configurable leveling time?
then you can only play online with other characters using that same scheme
ex level fast level slow

seems like it would suit different tastes depending on how much time you'd like to spend to level

They have that in EQ2, where you can turn experience earned through combat off. You still get quest XP, but it's a nice way to slow things down if you actually want to complete quest lines. I liked that approach, seems rather trivial to implement, not sure why Blizzard hasn't done it yet.

Its neva to late to join da Horde!!!

representin.jpg

Yeah the Battle Chest with the original game plus Burning Crusade was only 30 bucks at Best Buy last I checked. If you buy the codes online from WoW's site you're paying too much.

But I agree with the others, don't do it.

Yeah the Battle Chest with the original game plus Burning Crusade was only 30 bucks at Best Buy last I checked. If you buy the codes online from WoW's site you're paying too much.

But I agree with the others, don't do it.

dont do it dont start playing.

OP - i'm going to tell you the same thing i tell the rest of my friends who bring up WoW.

Don't do it man! You have too much to live for! :p

Jesus H Christ people, whats wrong with you? Have some fucking self control and moderation, its not that hard :rolleyes: You don't have to give up life just to play a MMO, noones forcing you to do that besides yourself and your lack of will. I purchased BC back in June and I wanted to get 70 before Wotlk came out, but I only played on weekends so my working weekdays wern't effected and guess what, with help from nice people, knowing were to level and instances, I hit 70 last month without gaining 50lbs, reducing my cholesetrol *per doctors orders* and without loosing a relationship or job :rolleyes:

Jesus H Christ people, whats wrong with you? Have some fucking self control and moderation, its not that hard :rolleyes: You don't have to give up life just to play a MMO, noones forcing you to do that besides yourself and your lack of will. I purchased BC back in June and I wanted to get 70 before Wotlk came out, but I only played on weekends so my working weekdays wern't effected and guess what, with help from nice people, knowing were to level and instances, I hit 70 last month without gaining 50lbs, reducing my cholesetrol *per doctors orders* and without loosing a relationship or job :rolleyes:

Yes, you are visibly superior with your Horde shirt. ;)

My problem with WoW was not it consuming my social life but rather my game time. When I played WoW I wouldn't play any of the other games I had collected. I was sitting on Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon on 360 for months because I didn't want to give up WoW time for them and I'm a huge JRPG fan.

Now that I've caught up on games I really wanted to play I feel the pull of WoW once again. And its about the right time too since the weather will start getting more shittier as the days go by in my area so I'll have a lot more free time to burn.

wow makes me feel dead inside.

no shit last time i played it I caught the worst cold of my life.

:p

yeah, you can still play it but once you come back out after leveling you guy up to 70 (or 80 as the case may be) and getting your 2nd tier 6 (or 7) you'll realize just how much of your life you've wasted.

and dont expect to get anywhere in that game unless you pour your time into it.

yeah, you can still play it but once you come back out after leveling you guy up to 70 (or 80 as the case may be) and getting your 2nd tier 6 (or 7) you'll realize just how much of your life you've wasted.
and dont expect to get anywhere in that game unless you pour your time into it.

I dunno, I could think of alot more wasteful/damaging things to waste your life/money on. Cigs, doing drugs or puffing a bowl, great ways to waste money and destroy your body. Or going to bars every weekend getting trashed, trying to feel better about yourself and feel popular while killing your brain cells and hitting on woman you'll regret later both look and STD wise all in the attempt bring meaning to your otherwise pitiful and useless life.

No thanks, i'll stick to gaming.;)

I dunno, I could think of alot more wasteful/damaging things to waste your life/money on. Cigs, doing drugs or puffing a bowl, great ways to waste money and destroy your body. Or going to bars every weekend getting trashed, trying to feel better about yourself and feel popular while killing your brain cells and hitting on woman you'll regret later both look and STD wise all in the attempt bring meaning to your otherwise pitiful and useless life.

yeah but that shits cool. :p

freezebyte said:
No thanks, i'll stick to gaming.

suit yourself. I'm gonna go get stoned with my homies ;)

no, in all seriousness your right, but in world of warcraft at the end of the day you've got nothing done. Now I dont want to get into the argument of virtual goods vs physical goods and the tangibillity of virtual goods vs that of physical goods, thats a can of worms. But, for example, I could sit at home tomorrow, play TF2 and perhalps get my next heavy achievement, but my plan for tomorrow (weather granted) is to re-finish this wooden table which has been needing refinishing for weeks now. I've got all my supplies, and at the end of the day tomorrow earth will be +1 nice looking wooden table, instead of +1 heavy achievement. You tell me which is more valuble.

So yeah, there are infact worse hobbies than playing video games, but dont for a second think that playing video games is in any way a good hobby.

no, in all seriousness your right, but in world of warcraft at the end of the day you've got nothing done. Now I dont want to get into the argument of virtual goods vs physical goods and the tangibillity of virtual goods vs that of physical goods, thats a can of worms. But, for example, I could sit at home tomorrow, play TF2 and perhalps get my next heavy achievement, but my plan for tomorrow (weather granted) is to re-finish this wooden table which has been needing refinishing for weeks now. I've got all my supplies, and at the end of the day tomorrow earth will be +1 nice looking wooden table, instead of +1 heavy achievement. You tell me which is more valuble.

So yeah, there are infact worse hobbies than playing video games, but dont for a second think that playing video games is in any way a good hobby.

To me, pretty much all video games get you "nothing" done. But when we enter the world of online games (especially unending, progress-driven MMOs), where you meet and interact with people and etc., the lines of reality and VR blur a little. Video games are just another entertaining (and often times memorable) form media.

Whether you wasted your life away playing a really crappy game, or one with the greatest storytelling games ever told, not much gets done in RL in the end :D. The same goes for any non-informative, educational, or enlightening types of media.

OT: It's never too late to get into WoW. Blizzard would be in real trouble if potential customers started thinking like that lol.

FreezeByte fails... "I only do it recreationally..." while wearing your world of warcraft shirt. Most WoW players still wouldn't go that far.

FreezeByte fails... "I only do it recreationally..." while wearing your world of warcraft shirt. Most WoW players still wouldn't go that far.

Right, just because I wear a t-shirt with a WoW logo, it automatically makes me a die hard no lifer WoW player. Kinda like wearing a NASCAR shirt makes a fan a backup driver for a team. :rolleyes:

idiot-1.gif

my brother plays plays wow and it seems like a job for him. he tells me i cant go out today or cant do this cause i have a raid at xx time. his guild has meetings about other guild members and how they are performing and if they should punish or let them go. The problem i see with wow is that once a raid begins most of the time you will need to stick with it until its over which can last hours and hours. ur guidl leader aka your boss wont like it if you jus leave half way throught the raid. its rediculous never play a game that never ends.

Back