Is it time to upgrade? 3800x or a 3900x....or wait for the 3950x lol

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
No way i was spending more than msrp...but it seems the prices are back down to normal prices. Maybe i should just wait for black Friday deals cause it aint like i really need the upgrade right now...but its only money. Does that 70MB of game cache really help out? You 3900x people glad you bought them?

3900x... hell yea I love mine. I can play a windowed session of D3 while encoding a few gigs of videos, while running newsbin and youtube. My previous 7820x even at 4.8ghz would choke with half that load.

Reactions: dgz
like this
3900x... hell yea I love mine. I can play a windowed session of D3 while encoding a few gigs of videos, while running newsbin and youtube. My previous 7820x even at 4.8ghz would choke with half that load.
whats the best AIO cooler i can purchase that fits my case? Not sure if my Mugen is equipped for a 3900? Maybe i get better results using a nice pad vs paste? Since mine has a stupid convex base for god only knows why

I'm merely a 3600 peasant, but I can speak to the benefits of the big@$$ cache. A couple of my content creation workflows got massive speedups (as much as x1.7) coming from an OCd 1600, and that's with "only" 32MB of L3. 64MB on the 3900X is bonkers! idk if that will affect gaming much though. I saw mad gainz in a couple games but it's hard to say if that was related to the cache or just the higher IPC

Up in Canada I’m still waiting on my 3900x...

EDIT:
I talked to my supplier and he honestly believes that they will have their hands on the 3950x's before they have their existing 3900x backorders fulfilled. So I had him put me on the list for one of those as well so that they will just ship me the first of what ever of the two they have available and cancell the other. AMD has to fulfill all their orders in the US before Canada according to them.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you do with it. You could certainly "get by" with a 3700x/3800x. Hard to answer without more info. For strictly gaming, I don't know if you'd notice a huge difference (if any). For content creation along side gaming...maybe you would.

I need to order one of those pads or something....I really feel like my cooler doesn't make very good contact.....I have to admit Amazon having them 3900s in stock is calling my name and work Should be good thru New year's already

It'd be helpful to know games played, settings of games or % use in-game, GPU, monitor spec.

My old 2600 and 1080ti were 160fps average @1080p in the MW beta. 1440p was 145fps.

I run 180hz 1080p and 165hz 1080p monitors.

My 1080ti has been in 4 builds, and is about to be in a 5th.

My production workloads don't rely on local processing power exceeding the capabilities of a 2600.

It's like telling someone 300-350hp is fine for street driving, and they insist on a Hellcat to spend most of their time in traffic.

It'd be helpful to know games played, settings of games or % use in-game, GPU, monitor spec.

My old 2600 and 1080ti were 160fps average @1080p in the MW beta. 1440p was 145fps.

I run 180hz 1080p and 165hz 1080p monitors.

My 1080ti has been in 4 builds, and is about to be in a 5th.

My production workloads don't rely on local processing power exceeding the capabilities of a 2600.

It's like telling someone 300-350hp is fine for street driving, and they insist on a Hellcat to spend most of their time in traffic.
Settings would ALWAYS be max.....Biggest actual reason for me to upgrade would be time spent shrinking Videos or helping in bonic events or stuff like that. Sometimes i just want to spend money on crap and next year the cycle starts all over with the 4000s series lol (if for no other reason than they boost to exactly 5ghz lol) AMD was genius by not requiring new motherboards

Settings would ALWAYS be max.....Biggest actual reason for me to upgrade would be time spent shrinking Videos or helping in bonic events or stuff like that. Sometimes i just want to spend money on crap and next year the cycle starts all over with the 4000s series lol (if for no other reason than they boost to exactly 5ghz lol) AMD was genius by not requiring new motherboards

It definitely sounds like the 3900x would benefit you. Would it benefit you $180 more than a 3700x? Hard to say.

If you wait and put me on your list, I'm gonna sell my 3900x and board as soon as Threadripper 3 drops. I need more cores. I have so many damned video projects that never end

With no intention to hijack this thread:
Is it stupid to go and buy a 3700x instead of the 3900x?
- i mean do you really see a huge difference decrease?

My objective is just casual gaming, encoding , general CPU tasks instead of using GPU - some video encoding for best quality, Crypto Mining.

I like the fact that the 3700x is only using 65 Watts instead of 3900x at 105 Watts

top tier cpu's aren't meant/needed for casual anything.

The lineup from amd isn't like intel where they disable features in cheaper products.

The primary difference between desktop amd cpu's is peak frequency (sometimes) and core count and the total shared cache count.

you'll be fine with the 3700x and wont really miss a hundred Mhz or two ....nor would you miss the extra cores.

Last edited:
You might find a board or some RAM at slightly reduced prices for Black Friday, but I highly doubt you'll see a 3900x or 3950x at anything below MSRP. In your case, assuming you're only looking for a CPU to drop into your existing board, I don't think it makes any sense at all to wait, unless you're hoping to pickup a lightly used 3900x from those who decided to upgrade to a 3950x

My objective is just casual gaming, encoding , general CPU tasks instead of using GPU - some video encoding for best quality, Crypto Mining.

I like the fact that the 3700x is only using 65 Watts instead of 3900x at 105 Watts

For me it's 3900x all day. I've been keeping the same platform around longer and longer with each new build. Kept my last system for 7 years before upgrading to the 3900x. Beyond longevity, your uses would actually be able to take advantage of the 3900x straight away. When I look at power consumption charts, I do so for curiosity. It's never been a deciding factor for me.

Darth Ender's post was spot on. AMD's chips are all quality and are not neutered for lower price points. That said, more cores allow for more work and especially higher multi tasking ability beyond the clock frequency differences of course.

Some good deals on eBay for the 3800X for the next day or so.
Newegg on eBay is selling the 3800X for $370+$4 shipping - 3% instant coupon at checkout ($11.10) - 8% eBay Bucks promo (you must activate it first) ($29.60) - Chase VISA Paypal 4th Quarter 5% points (you must sign up for it first) ($17.90) = $311.40

Some good deals on eBay for the 3800X for the next day or so.
Newegg on eBay is selling the 3800X for $370+$4 shipping - 3% instant coupon at checkout ($11.10) - 8% eBay Bucks promo (you must activate it first) ($29.60) - Chase VISA Paypal 4th Quarter 5% points (you must sign up for it first) ($17.90) = $311.40

Sadly for my location it is not worth using Amazon or Newegg... im not 100% sure.... but i see Newegg and Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com all deliver to Philippines, BUT i am not sure what the price would be for shipping and customs and post office collection... blah blah...

Sadly for my location it is not worth using Amazon or Newegg... im not 100% sure.... but i see Newegg and Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com all deliver to Philippines, BUT i am not sure what the price would be for shipping and customs and post office collection... blah blah...
Yes, I should have mentioned in my post that this was probably for US only. I don't know if eBay has "eBay Bucks" or if Chase offers quarterly rewards in your country.

If you wait and put me on your list, I'm gonna sell my 3900x and board as soon as Threadripper 3 drops. I need more cores. I have so many damned video projects that never end
Them coming out pretty soon arnt they ?like next month or something? You would have to sell off your board somhow as well I suppose.....what kind of price you thinking? I'll be taking a huge money hit off when I sell mine here (but I paid full price on mine cause I needed it right then) and now there barley selling for half price lol....shit happens and we have a nice hobby

I like my 3700x / RX 5700 flashed and it is my very first 8core/ 16 trend cpu and should last me long after AM4 is died .

I’m personally waiting for the 3950X. Haven’t been this excited about a PSU in quite some time.

Them coming out pretty soon arnt they ?like next month or something? You would have to sell off your board somhow as well I suppose.....what kind of price you thinking? I'll be taking a huge money hit off when I sell mine here (but I paid full price on mine cause I needed it right then) and now there barley selling for half price lol....shit happens and we have a nice hobby
Yeah November supposedly.

I like my 3700x / RX 5700 flashed and it is my very first 8core/ 16 trend cpu and should last me long after AM4 is died .
So for you , u reckon buying a 3900x is not really a must ?
Or is it okay if am not in the game yet ? and leaving overclocking alone?
Or , i was thinking, why not get the 3700x with a decent board and then over clock?
u said u have 5700 , not the xt? and how does the card fair ? intensions to get an rtx2070+ or radeon vii ? no point?

The problem is shipping so i would allow for somebody else to take on your CPU.

Or , i was thinking, why not get the 3700x with a decent board and then over clock?
u said u have 5700 , not the xt? and how does the card fair ? intensions to get an rtx2070+ or radeon vii ? no point?

Overclocking the 3000 series will at best give you marginal benefits and at worst decrease performance for lightly threaded workloads. It’s not a worthwhile consideration when selecting which CPU to buy. Maybe if your looking at a X vs non X model but it when you’re looking at two CPUs with different core counts. Memory tweaking is the most common and beneficial form of OC on these CPUs.

Overclocking the 3000 series will at best give you marginal benefits and at worst decrease performance for lightly threaded workloads. It’s not a worthwhile consideration when selecting which CPU to buy. Maybe if your looking at a X vs non X model but it when you’re looking at two CPUs with different core counts. Memory tweaking is the most common and beneficial form of OC on these CPUs.
Okay that just confused or made my descision harder now, because i was not planning on buyng amazing memory as for me it seems to be less of a concern , maybe for gaming 1-3 fps acordingly what i have watched... ?
I was planning on getting kingston z someting i forgot the name already

Okay that just confused or made my descision harder now, because i was not planning on buyng amazing memory as for me it seems to be less of a concern , maybe for gaming 1-3 fps acordingly what i have watched... ?
I was planning on getting kingston z someting i forgot the name already

Not saying you need anything particularly amazing, just saying that traditional CPU overclocking isn’t going to get you far at all with these CPUs and can even degrade performance in some workloads. Memory tweaking Is more beneficial.

In other words. Get the CPU that suits your needs. Don’t get one thinking you can OC it to suit your needs.

As for memory. PC3200 C18 at a minimum. C16 preferred.

The price difference between C18 and C16 at 3200Mhz is minimal (if any). I'd get C16. Ryzen 3XXX likes 3600Mhz best (at least according to an AMD slide), but you don't have to go crazy. I picked up the 32GB (2x16GB) kit of Ripjaws V running Hynix CJR and it tightened up to Cas 16 at 3600Mhz at 1.35V and it was $130 for 32GB. Originally it was rated for C19 at 3600Mhz.

Personally, I don't even mess with OCing anymore. I just let the precision boost do its thing. I do tweak the memory.

3733Mhz to match the IF speed is good enough, usually. Diminishing returns above.

Not saying you need anything particularly amazing, just saying that traditional CPU overclocking isn’t going to get you far at all with these CPUs and can even degrade performance in some workloads. Memory tweaking Is more beneficial.

In other words. Get the CPU that suits your needs. Don’t get one thinking you can OC it to suit your needs.

yes the way i see it for most modern amd cpus.....there already factory overclocked/ maxed out for performance with latest bios updates

3733Mhz to match the IF speed is good enough, usually. Diminishing returns above.

Don't need 3733 to match IF. IF is technically only rated to 3200 but will operate at 1:1 UPTO 3733 before needing to set it manually. Above 3733 is also where they say you may need to add voltage. For me, I need to add SOC voltage to even get to 3733. 3666 is the highest I can do stable at default SOC.

Don't need 3733 to match IF. IF is technically only rated to 3200 but will operate at 1:1 UPTO 3733 before needing to set it manually. Above 3733 is also where they say you may need to add voltage. For me, I need to add SOC voltage to even get to 3733. 3666 is the highest I can do stable at default SOC.
yes the way i see it for most modern amd cpus.....there already factory overclocked/ maxed out for performance with latest bios updates
The price difference between C18 and C16 at 3200Mhz is minimal (if any). I'd get C16. Ryzen 3XXX likes 3600Mhz best (at least according to an AMD slide), but you don't have to go crazy. I picked up the 32GB (2x16GB) kit of Ripjaws V running Hynix CJR and it tightened up to Cas 16 at 3600Mhz at 1.35V and it was $130 for 32GB. Originally it was rated for C19 at 3600Mhz.

Personally, I don't even mess with OCing anymore. I just let the precision boost do its thing. I do tweak the memory.

Thanks all,

before u read further --> but i would like a second opinion...

https://www.techsiting.com/x570-x470-or-b450-motherboard-for-ryzen-3000-cpus/

so get the cpu i need and dont mess around trying to OC and get at least minimum C16 ram
As for a board, X470 X570 B?? not sure which would do , for either the 3700x or the 3900x ?
I really only need USBs like 3-6 would be good enough, i dont know what else i need, maybe decond sound and also boosted, because normally they bloody useless and soft.
I use regular headphones like HDJ1000 or just PC headphones.... i cant use earbuds because the wire is too short.
As for GFX card , Nvidia or AMD i was thinkng RX 5700 XT or RTX 2070 +? - i have decided against Radeon Vii because its pretty expensive but then again very similar to the RTX2080... but between those i would not know what is better?
i dont like the Radeon Vii because it seems it needs 2x 8 pin pci-e connectors , although the other guys use 6 + 8 anyways, so not much difference

5700 flashed to xt. X570 for pcie4 futureproof or b to save. You need to weigh the features and cost for the rest.

Same here. 3733 is as high as she goes and it needs 1.1125 on SOC to show 1.1 SOC in Windows. I was really hoping for 3800, but it's not in the cards. I think the IMC is kind of weak on my chip. My B Die RAM needs 1.43v to be stable at 3733 16-15-15-32, but it does seem to work pretty well.

I can't speak 3900x , but I own two 3600's and there fast also so don't overlook it .. 65 watts was the selling point on 3700x and it has so many ways to run it like eco mode . Also I needed that cooler for my retro 2005 case I kept as to restore it with that old window .. lol

Now the XFX 5700 is a non XT by shader count (2304) but gone in 60 sec was that bios = AMD's RX 5700 Super Clocked Edition .

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/20748969

And current state of my RGB = FTW = That Fan = Half the Fun

Last edited:

What I am saying is the BEST speed for ram is to match IF 3733mhz. Never said it's required and in Ryen3k, you can decouple the memory speed but it will degrade your performance. Anything beyond 3733 will be a diminishing return scenario in real world performance.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3000-memory-overclocking-sweet-spot

Back