Is it time for a new model of Dell 3007wfp?

petreza

n00b
I am interested in the Dell 3007wfp. However I don't need it right away so I am asking if you think Dell is planning to release a new 3007wfp model (3008wfp I guess) soon? If "yes" how soon?

On a side note (question): Do you think the new model should come with a HDMI port (in addition to DVI of course) and if it doesn't would that be a big deal considering that there are HDMI-to-DVI adaptors?

Thanks!

They just released the 3007-HC in the last couple of months. I imagine that it will be quite some time before they release another 30" model.

I am interested in the Dell 3007wfp. However I don't need it right away so I am asking if you think Dell is planning to release a new 3007wfp model (3008wfp I guess) soon? If "yes" how soon?

On a side note (question): Do you think the new model should come with a HDMI port (in addition to DVI of course) and if it doesn't would that be a big deal considering that there are HDMI-to-DVI adaptors?

Thanks!

The new model is already out and it is named 3007WFP-HC.
No, the new model does not include a HDMI port. HDMI-to-DVI works but you can only get 1280 x 800 resolution on that. Basically 30'' monitors are obsolete to computer use only.
You might as well look for an alternative if gaming is your object.

What are the improvements with the HC vs. the non-HC model?

I was thinking of making this connection:

3007wfp-hc--->DVI-cable--->DVI-switch--->

1st connection from DVI-switch--->DVI-cable--->(DualLink)-Computer
2nd connection from DVI-switch--->DVI-cable--->DVI-to-HDMI-adaptor--->HDMI-cable--->HD-Cable-Box

so am I to understand that with this setup I cannot get the full HD resolution from the cable box. (1280x800 why is that?)

What are the improvements with the HC vs. the non-HC model?

I was thinking of making this connection:

3007wfp-hc--->DVI-cable--->DVI-switch--->

1st connection from DVI-switch--->DVI-cable--->(DualLink)-Computer
2nd connection from DVI-switch--->DVI-cable--->DVI-to-HDMI-adaptor--->HDMI-cable--->HD-Cable-Box

so am I to understand that with this setup I cannot get the full HD resolution from the cable box. (1280x800 why is that?)

HC stands for "High Color." It has 92% color reproduction whereas the older model has only 72%. You can only get up to 1280 x 800 resolution because above mentioned connection does not support dual link. 3007's max resolution over dual link = 2 x single link resolution 1280 x 800.

I read some on the HC model. It apears that for now it is shipped only with select systems and that when it becomes available for genaral purchase the initial price would be $1699.

Do you know when it would become available for general purchase?

How long do you think we will have to wait for its price to fall to $1275 when on sale?

You can only get up to 1280 x 800 resolution because above mentioned connection does not support dual link. 3007's max resolution over dual link = 2 x single link resolution 1280 x 800.

But wouldn't that mean that it is just a matter of time that someone would make a HDMI(1080i/p)-TO-dual-link-adaptor

With this monitor - 3007wfp-hc what are my options if I want to watch HDTV on it (in addition to the computer use)?

Thanks!

I read some on the HC model. It apears that for now it is shipped only with select systems and that when it becomes available for genaral purchase the initial price would be $1699.

Do you know when it would become available for general purchase?

How long do you think we will have to wait for its price to fall to $1275 when on sale?

The 3007-HC is available now by itself (I have one sitting on my bench at
the moment) if you know the right salespeople to ask - check this thread out:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1159824

You can either go to page eight of the thread, or PM me if you want the
contact info for a "cluefull" Dell SB saleman.

It'll be a while before it's ~$1,275, but it's still a very good deal at ~$1,450
that most people are paying now (I paid a touch under $1,400).

But wouldn't that mean that it is just a matter of time that someone would make a HDMI(1080i/p)-TO-dual-link-adaptor

With this monitor - 3007wfp-hc what are my options if I want to watch HDTV on it (in addition to the computer use)?

Thanks!

This is still up in the air, as far as I know. I expect someone will release a
solution to using a 3007-type monitor for HD purposes, but have no idea when.
I expect these 4Mpixel class monitors to become more common, and as they
do, someone will develop an adapter or software to give them better connectivity
(at least, I sure hope so...).

CAMster

Back