Is it the economy or is it me? (no driver CD included)

Dubious9

n00b
Hello:

I'm interested in your thoughts about this situation: New motherboard, no driver CD-ROM included. Did newegg sell me an 'open box' motherboard or is it the latest trend not to supply users with driver CD's?

Dubious9

If it's a brand-new board, it should have a driver CD included. Are you missing anything else, like SATA cables or the user manual?

The good news is that the lack of a drivers CD isn't a deal-breaker. Go to the manufacturer's product page (which is also accessible from NewEgg) and download the most recent drivers straight from there.

Thank you for your response. The model number is ASUS M4A785-M. You got my wheels turning and I decided to visit the newegg website to see if there were photos of the board w/ a driver disk and all included pieces.No photos of a driver disk were found, not even from the ASUS website. The motherboard had the sata cables, manual, & i/o shield. Windows update installed the drivers and the motherboard seems to be functioning. I know you think that it was opened but is it likely that this was a 'value' motherboard and they omitted the driver disk to cut costs?

I've never used any included cd, if someone can't be arsed to download the newest driver and install they probably shouldn't be building a computer.

just my thoughts :D

I cannot remember the last time I used a CD I always go online and get the latest drivers now if they are missing online and only on the CD then I go to the CD. But ASUS always has included CDs in the MBs I have bought from them.

No photos of a driver disk were found, not even from the ASUS website.

I see it on Newegg on the last photo right in front of the manual, but if that's all that is missing its no big deal. You could drop a line to ASUS maybe and get a disc if you really want one.

I see it on Newegg on the last photo right in front of the manual, but if that's all that is missing its no big deal. You could drop a line to ASUS maybe and get a disc if you really want one.

This.. I see it too.

Also whenever I install a new mobo before I begin I go to the manu website & get all the most recent drivers & put them on a thumb drive.. Much faster then CD.

now if they are missing online and only on the CD then I go to the CD.

That happens? I thought everything was on the net. :) I think the last driver I had trouble locating was back in Windows 98se days.

I'm waiting for hardware manufactures to include the drivers on the device, a little flash memory and you have the basic drivers without the CD... But then where would we get our bloatware...

That happens? I thought everything was on the net. :) I think the last driver I had trouble locating was back in Windows 98se days.

I'm waiting for hardware manufactures to include the drivers on the device, a little flash memory and you have the basic drivers without the CD... But then where would we get our bloatware...

yeah, new ASUS boards without any driver updates from ASUS, yet, are missing a small load of drivers and utils on the online site. Case in point, my P8H67-I Deluxe :p

The only time the lack of a driver CD bugs me is if the machine has a NIC that requires a driver before it works, because then you can't go download the newest drivers. Of course, that was more of a bother in the days when I didn't have a second computer or a flash drive. Now I have both, so it doesn't matter as much.

yeah, new ASUS boards without any driver updates from ASUS, yet, are missing a small load of drivers and utils on the online site. Case in point, my P8H67-I Deluxe :p

OUCH! One would think that companies stay on top of issues like that... There is where the economy comes in, the Asus tech responsible for the drivers on the website was 'downsized'...

lol.... maybe just a lither :p in order to allocate resources to the "autodetect your product" java program, lol.

I've never used any included cd, if someone can't be arsed to download the newest driver and install they probably shouldn't be building a computer.

just my thoughts :D

yeah, almost waste of company resources imo

Not mandatory that you get a cd. Drivers are updated quite often better to get the updated ones.

That board should have come with a CD, I know when I got that exact same board, mine did.

I think the omission of the CD is leading the OP to believe he got an open box when paying for new is the real issue here.

Being an open box might be true too, see if the cd isn't stuck inside the manual somewhere. Does the box sticker match the mainboard serial number? Are there any signs of tampering when you opened it? Tape missing/cut on the static bag? Stretching on the bag from peeling tape?

While I think its wierd, I wouldnt think anything of it, the CD is useless anyway. Any time I do a new build I always go to their website and get the newest drivers anyway.

Back