Is it smart to buy barebone Laptops?

logan1

Gawd
I was wondering is it was a good idea to buy barebone laptop and do the assembly yourself. Monetary how much do u stand to gain by picking this route as oppose to buying a pre assembled laptop form a mass produce like Dell.

I have a lot of experience with Desktop PC’s and I have always built my own Desktop PC's. When it comes to desktops I known it is cheaper to build your own PC if u are shooting for high-end performance. For medium or low end performance it is cheaper to just buy a Dell. Does the same rule apply to Laptops?

no, with a laptop is worth having the warranty on the whole thing.

At least for me, uptime on my laptop is a huge issue - if it goes down, I need it repaired as SOON as possible. The desktop doesnt matter as much becuase I do most productive work on my laptop. Just another reason I only buy IBM laptops, I'm only without it for 3 days if something happens.

Well, while I have the opposite situation for Lithium (any real work I do on the Desktop, the laptop I only had to back up my documents to a SD card and I could live without it otherwise) I'd still recommend going the OEM route. Wait for Dell to come out with massive coupons, and pick one up then for less than you could build it yourself, and get at least a basic warranty in the process.

Guys i really need more input on this subject, This is going to be the first laptop i have ever owned. Is it really worth the trouble to build my own system from a barebone.

I don't think it will be worth the trouble. First, no warranty. Second, there is no major cost savings like there is when you're building your own PC. Just go the OEM route like some people have suggested.

logan1 said:
Guys i really need more input on this subject, This is going to be the first laptop i have ever owned. Is it really worth the trouble to build my own system from a barebone.
absolutly not.

logan1 said:
Hey I am a regular poster at www.notebookforums.com I recommend heading over and doing some reading.

Lithium is dead on. A FULLY LOADED Dell Inspiron E1705 with a nice gaming level Vid card (7900GS) can be had for 1500 shipped WITH a warranty. I mean with some overclocking, the 7900GS reaches into the upper 7000s's and lower 8000's in 3DMark05. That is some power. I got a Dell Precision M90. Bottom line? With a $750 off $1999 coupon and a stackable $35 coupon off of eBay for like $2 you can get a sweet PREBUILT laptop that is also easy to upgrade the vid card on (Ipeople are swapping in 7900 GTX go now) and can and DOES support Merom for future upgrade use.

So there ya go. Check it out. I was in your same boat several years ago, and jumped headfirst into a laptop. You will not regret it.

Back