Is it safe to OC ram?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I was wondering if its safe to overclock ram to a higher frequency if I lower the cas timings keeping voltage the same? I mean will there be increased heat that could burn out the ram if I take 1600 ram to 2000 mhz ?

Thanks

Well... it's not 100% safe to overclock anything ever :p
However, running the system memory at a higher clockspeed without increasing voltage shouldn't produce any significant heat increase. Might not work either, but probably not going to fry your RAM.

I use a bootable CD with Memtest86 and Mprime when I overclock in order to avoid possible OS corruption.

However, running the system memory at a higher clockspeed without increasing voltage shouldn't produce any significant heat increase. Might not work either, but probably not going to fry your RAM.

I'm no OC pro, but I can say that OCing RAM is a pain. Just when you think you've got it to a stable level, GO BLUE! :eek: So, I prefer to milk power out of the CPU and GPU rather than deal with finicky RAM.

I use a bootable CD with Memtest86 and Mprime when I overclock in order to avoid possible OS corruption.

This, any overclocking comes at a risk but with proper testing you should be fine and without issues. Just make sure you're stable!

Yes, it is safe. As long as you keep the ram cool and don't exceed the spec voltage.

I have my ram overclock from 1600Mhz to 2133Mhz with 1.65v and 9-11-9-27 2T timing (the 2T timing for stability)...

Back