Is it really worth it? GTX 295 vs GTX 480?

I'm rather happy with my BFG Tech GTX 295 and plan to buy another one off ebay *BFG Tech is dead Long live BFG Tech!* to set up a water cooled 2 way sli later.

As list in my sig my hardware is able to bust through even starcraft 2 on air cooling with out breaking a sweat on all ultra settings and still stay in the 30-40 c range since I keep my room at 65 degrees.

So really unless I am doing Auto Cad or something else is a Femi GTX 480 really even worth it? Or any Femi?:confused:

what answer are you expecting? yes upgrade so starcraft 2 runs the same speed.

Well getting any upgrade is only worth it from a functional stand point if your existing hardware is not capable of running your applications at an acceptable level to you. If your GTX 295 is running everything you are playing now at the settings you want, then upgrading gains you nothing in that sense.

I'm rather happy with my BFG Tech GTX 295 and plan to buy another one off ebay *BFG Tech is dead Long live BFG Tech!* to set up a water cooled 2 way sli later.

As list in my sig my hardware is able to bust through even starcraft 2 on air cooling with out breaking a sweat on all ultra settings and still stay in the 30-40 c range since I keep my room at 65 degrees.

So really unless I am doing Auto Cad or something else is a Femi GTX 480 really even worth it? Or any Femi?:confused:

If you're doing CAD you shouldn't be using a geforce anyways.

My 295 still plays almost everything I need to *decent enough*. I pretty much skipped this generation, and am now looking to the next. If I did upgrade in the near future, it would be so that I could run a single GPU system, rather than having to rely on SLI support.

I'm not running sli at the moment.. My 2 gpu single pcb BFG Tech GTX 295 is able to play games like starcraft 2 with everything max on settings and my AMD 1090T 6 core black edition is doing just fine.

So with all the hipe about femi.. I have to ask do we really need it?
I don't think I will need to upgrade anytime soon other than maybe getting another GTX 295 and going 2 way SLI but that's it.

Quad SLI gains weren't impressive IIRC, if you're gonna go that route 2x480s would likely do better.

No, I'd skip fermi 1 and wait for something new, if your set on nvidia something new is bound to come in the next few months (3-6) at the most

If your open to it, AMD is releasing new GPU's in 8 days and even more shortly after that. They should have something worthwhile there and if not that short wait will only further aid you as the GTX480 will be even cheaper due to a competitive price cut.

Pretty sure the 2 GPU's on the board are still connected via the same technology traditional SLI configs are. You're still running 2 GPU's, and they still need SLI support to run together, else I think just 1 GPU is used. So technically, you are running SLI - which was my point.

Well he sorta is , but isn't the bridge connection faster? And wasn't there a single PCB version with dual GPUs released later on in the GTX 295 cycle?

My 295 still plays almost everything I need to *decent enough*. I pretty much skipped this generation, and am now looking to the next. If I did upgrade in the near future, it would be so that I could run a single GPU system, rather than having to rely on SLI support.
any significant gpu upgrade that you make is going to need an i7/i5 quad to really be worth it.

I am not sure why you posted as the answer should be no. If your happy there isn't a reason to upgrade. SLI scales well on a phenom (oh, the irony) so no issues and your cpu will last quite a while.

I missed what res your gaming at.

if your looking for a reason to upgarde there are only two that I can think of

you want multi monitor gaming.

you have a DX11 game that you just have to have it in DX11 (not very compelling in my opinion)

any significant gpu upgrade that you make is going to need an i7/i5 quad to really be worth it.

Personally I don't think the price of the intel i7/i5 cpus is worth it..
You don't get that much more performance.
I'll have to look up some benchmarks but I'm sure my AMD 1090T can keep up with an i7 just fine at a fraction of the cost.

I'll have to look up some benchmarks but I'm sure my AMD 1090T can keep up with an i7 just fine at a fraction of the cost.
um I was replying to SUPERGT and thats why I quoted him...

that being said your 1090T is not quite as fast as the i7 when it comes to running the very fastest gpu setups in sli/crossfire.

An I7 950 runs about the same price as your chip and an I5 760 is cheaper. So not sure what you mean when you say at a fraction of the cost.

An I7 950 runs about the same price as your chip and an I5 760 is cheaper. So not sure what you mean when you say at a fraction of the cost.

But, but, but... the ad at the top of the screen says "Our 6 or Their 4"... and obviously 6 is better than 4. :headsmackwall: :rolleyes:

for CAD its more than enough, for lower usage atleast, i mean if your doing it professionally then upgrade to a business grade.....hell my 260 runs AutoCAD w/o any issue i've ever noticed

so if your have slow downs then upgrade, if not dont spend the money

I have a strange suspicion that this thread only exists to stroke your ego, i mean, what kinda of answer are you expecting?

You come here, telling us your game runs maxed out without any problems, and then go ahead and ask if you need to upgrade... wtf?

Depends, but I don't think so in the majority of games. The real improvement I would see would be having a single GPU configuration.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536207

Well he sorta is , but isn't the bridge connection faster? And wasn't there a single PCB version with dual GPUs released later on in the GTX 295 cycle?

The single PCB revision still has the GPU's *linked* together in SLI. Just because they're both on the same board doesn't matter.

Depends, but I don't think so in the majority of games. The real improvement I would see would be having a single GPU configuration.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536207
your card is already almost as fast as a gtx480 so a significant improvement would be something much faster. in other words I was saying that a card faster than a gtx480 would certainly be a bit limited by a dual core cpu in some games. heck my E8500 already limits performance in Ghostbusters, Red Faction Guerrilla, Prototype, GTA 4, Dragon Age, Bad Company 2, ARMA 2 and some others.

Last edited:

What is this bunk? I had a 280GTX on a stock E8400, just upgraded to a 480GTX and my frames have nearly doubled (sometimes more) in every game I've played so far.

Now is it a question of my CPU holding back my GPU...maybe...but it's certainly not a "sidegrade."

What is this bunk? I had a 280GTX on a stock E8400, just upgraded to a 480GTX and my frames have nearly doubled (sometimes more) in every game I've played so far.

Now is it a question of my CPU holding back my GPU...maybe...but it's certainly not a "sidegrade."
please read more carefully. I was talking about upgrading beyond a gtx295 or gtx480.

Last edited:
the 480 is newer tech so runs things such as dx11, and everyone raves about the tesselation feature, which as far as i know of doesnt get you anything but a higher score in dx11 benchmarks for the time being. I would definitely keep your 295 and pick up another one, everyone is selling their 295s to move the the 400 series so you can pick one up cheap!

Back