Is it possible to use a remote server as an internet gateway?

John

Limp Gawd
First of all, I should point out that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to networking. Thanks for your patience.

A client of mine has a site where some of the content is restricted by IP, so if anyone outside of the US tries to access it they get denied. The problem for me is that because I'm working on the site I need to find a way around this restriction. To make matters worse, they apparently have some sort of proxy detection system, so a proxy server isn't going to work.

Is it possible to somehow set things up so I can connect to my Windows server in the US and use it as a gateway? So my PC in the UK would connect to the US server, and relay all data as if the UK PC was accessing the net from the US?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking into VMWare Virtual Appliances to achieve this somehow, but since I don't even know if this is possible I haven't been having too much luck.

What OS is your server running?

I've used OpenVPN running on FreeBSD and Linux to do this. The server runs NAT between the internet and the VPN.

What OS is your server running?

I've used OpenVPN running on FreeBSD and Linux to do this. The server runs NAT between the internet and the VPN.

Windows. Is OpenVPN all I need to do this? (Bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about networking.)

I've never done it on Windows, but OpenVPN will run on it.

As long as Windows can do NAT between the internet, and the VPN it should work. ICS may be able to do it, honestly, don't know for sure.

Yes it's easily done with Windows...RRAS, it'll do NAT, in the Microsoft PPTP VPN client properties...there's a checkbox for "Use remote gateway".

Back