Is it possible to “transplant” parts of another machine for a program's use?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to test how a program generates a seemingly unique system-id by "feeding" it parts of another (virtual) machine.

For example, say I have VMware #1 and VMware #2, both "physically" identical machines, but with separate non-cloned Windows 7 installs. On VM1, test.exe generates a system-id of 12345. I'm wondering if I could re-run test.exe, only this time have it use VM2's registry (which I have exported to a file).

I realize something like this would be messy and likely ruin a live/running virtual-machine. I'm okay with this.

Even better would be the ability to "redirect" specific OS resources for a particular program, like via some type of hooking. For example, instead of test.exe accessing its own machine's registry (or hard drive/folders/etc), I redirect it to read from an exported registry that I have stored on disk.

Ideally, I'd like the ability to say "Okay, test.exe, let's see how you react/respond with:

- VM2's HKLM...
- or VM3's HKCU...
- or VM4's "C:\Windows"...
- or VM5's MachineGUID...
- etc

I've wondered if there might be some way to do this with Sandboxie, as it seems to be employing a similar concept.

Back