Is it possible to throttle a home network?

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
Let me explain the situation.

My roommate is abusing my network with his bittorrent downloads. I know for sure he is seeding at well over 100kbytes upload.
I have asked him time and time again to tone it down, however I believe his lack of knowledge about the software prevents him from using it properly. I'm the one who suggested it in the first place.

I don't appreciate my network being abused this way, but I have no means of going into his room and changing the settings for him: his computer is password protected, and his door has a key lock.

As I said, this IS MY NETWORK. The ISP (Time Warner) account is in my name and has been since before he was my roommate, and I currently pay the entire bill. He will be paying his share in the future when his financial situation is better.

I do not wish to completely disconnect him. He is my friend, and him having net access is mutually beneficial for both of us. Please don't spam me with "just disconnect him."
I have tried talking to him, but as I said before, that isn't working. Either he is selective hearing, or more likely, he isn't knowledgeable about the software he is using.
Also please don't spam me with any "switch to Comcast" jokes in regard to my wanting to throttle his P2P traffic.

Is it possible to limit his bandwidth speed?
If so, is it possible to do it with my current router (D-Link Gaming router DGL-4300)?
Or would it require a small server of some sort to use instead of the router?
Any info would be appreciated.

The DGL-4300 has a feature called 'Gamefuel' which is a fancy way of saying QoS (quality of service) you can give certain ports or IP ranges priority over others. I am not an expert on this, but I have it set up on my network to give priority 255 (lowest) to any connection to the bittorrent ports. Doing this, I have not noticed any slowdowns on my network when using bittorrent.

you are way too nice. sit him down and physically show him what to do on his computer, let him know if it continues you may d/c him
ffs he doesnt even pay any of the bill!

i would just d/c him myself

The best way to handle this with your current equipment is to setup an access control rule against his computer. Basically, just setup a rule to filter out BT traffic for his IP. You can leave it on whenever you need the connection and turn it off when you don't. If your roommate is as unaware as you say he probably won't notice the difference. If he goes postal about it then you probably need to find a better roommate.

The DGL-4300 has a feature called 'Gamefuel' which is a fancy way of saying QoS (quality of service) you can give certain ports or IP ranges priority over others. I am not an expert on this, but I have it set up on my network to give priority 255 (lowest) to any connection to the bittorrent ports. Doing this, I have not noticed any slowdowns on my network when using bittorrent.

The best way to handle this with your current equipment is to setup an access control rule against his computer. Basically, just setup a rule to filter out BT traffic for his IP. You can leave it on whenever you need the connection and turn it off when you don't. If your roommate is as unaware as you say he probably won't notice the difference. If he goes postal about it then you probably need to find a better roommate.
Thank You. However, I have had Gamefuel turned on ever since I bought it. And I am pretty sure its doing its job. He complains his downloads slow every time I fire up an online game. He bitches, I tell him to pay his bill.

However, I was looking to do a little more than what Gamefuel can do. I was hoping I could also physically limit his connection to something like 512KBytes down/ 32KBytes up. I just don't see how to do that with this router. I have 15mbps down/ 1.5 mbps up connection right now, but I seriously doubt he would notice any difference.

There is a "Traffic Shaping" section on the Gamefuel page which has the ability to change the upload speed. Will changing this affect everyone's upload speed, or just Gamefuel rules?
If it affects only Gamefuel rules, do I have to make a new gamefuel rule for every game I play online?

A custom tailored version of this is better imo..say you are threatened of being cut off by your ISP.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/FireStarterBob/comcast_pissed_edited.jpg
LMAO. Thanks, but that is a last resort. I will photochop it if I have too.

the the OP, what you need is a "network bandwidth mamanger". do some google serach as i haven't used any such program before. but for a starter i think this is the type of program you need, to resolve your situation. if you look harder you surely find some similar but FREE tools. :D

umm, bit comet has an in-software upload limiter, just turn the slider down, its in options. Make him do it infront of you.

the the OP, what you need is a "network bandwidth mamanger". do some google serach as i haven't used any such program before. but for a starter i think this is the type of program you need, to resolve your situation. if you look harder you surely find some similar but FREE tools. :D
Thank You, that is exactly what I need. I didn't realize software like that was available that cheap. I also didn't really have an idea what to search for in the first place. I figured this kind of thing had to be done in a server O/S by changing configuration files. A free version would be better though.:D

umm, bit comet has an in-software upload limiter, just turn the slider down, its in options. Make him do it infront of you.
Yes I know this already, hence my several comments in the first post such as his unfamiliarity with the software, his door and his computer are locked down, talking doesn't seem to work, etc. etc.:rolleyes:

He could just change the port

well most of the time you have to forward the port to the comp for bittorrent to work.

so if he blocked the port and didn't forward it his roommate would get horrible down speeds

Back