Is it possible to share my pc's network connection w/ my 360?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by dr.stevil, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dr.stevil

dr.stevil [H]ardForum Junkie

In the room where my PC is, I also have my xbox. I do not have a wireless adaptor (yet) for my 360 and the cat cable coming into the room is just long enough to reach the pc. So if I want to go on live, I have to move the xbox near the cable and pull the cable from the back of the pc (which sucks if I need it while on live).

The motherboard that I have has 2 onboard NICs, is it possible to use one for an incoming network connection/to the router and use the other to connect my xbox to provide Internet access to it? How would one go about dong this? Thanks

2. CiscoInside

CiscoInside Gawd

Might be better to just pickup a cheap switch, and hook the PC and xbox up to it?

3. Nacho

Nacho Limp Gawd

You can use internet connection sharing (ics) to do this no problem. Although I would go with suggested previous and get a switch. A 100mbit switch can be had for pretty cheap these days.

4. dr.stevil

well I ordered a wireless adapter for it so I'm not really wanting to spend any more money than I have to. I just need this as a temporary solution until that gets here. I'll check out ICS

thanks a lot guys

5. darkpaw

darkpaw 2[H]4U

Return the wireless adapter and get the switch anyways. Since you already have a line there no reason to go wireless, the switch will cost maybe $20 and the connection will be better.

6. Hallis

Hallis [H]ardness Supreme

i'd just do the Internet Connection Sharing thing if you've got a wireless adapter on the way. Less junk to plug in. that would be the cheapest stop-gap measure.

7. dr.stevil

it's ok. I do move the console around from time to time so having the wireless adapter will make it much less of a hassle when I want to do that. I just wish they didn't charge as much as they do for them.

I did get ICS setup and so far it seems to be working great. Thanks again guys, much appreciated

8. MavsX

MavsX [H]ard|Gawd

lol dude get a cheap ass netgear switch for like 40 bucks. get some longer cat 5 cables too. if it barely reaches. come on man!

9. muzzle79

muzzle79 Gawd

the forums here and craigslist always have cheap equipment too : D

10. MurphNutz

MurphNutz Gawd

You can get a switch for $20, easy. You might want to invest in one anyway, if the cable drop to your room isn't connected to a wall plate and the cable barely reaches.