Is it possible to mix POE adapter brands?

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Hi All

I use POE adapters to connect my various devices around the house. Turns out I need an extra one but I can no longer find the generic brand I bought.

Does anyone know if you can mix brands together on a POE network or do you have to use the same brand/model? Changing all of them would set me back $150 so its really a waste unless I have no other choice.

Depends really. Some companies use "POE" but at 24V. Standard POE is 48V. Make sure to check the voltage on the POE adapter.

If you're just using a single PoE injector on each line, it shouldn't be any issue.

I have a TP Link AP and if I use my ASA 5505 port 6 and 7 which are POE it will not power on. However when I use the injector it will...

It makes not sense since Cisco uses the exact IEEE specification of POE

It depends on device some are on old cisco setup and some are not so just watch out on what POE adapter your using on POE device.

If it is an TL-WA901ND then it isn't 802.3af POE its 12v and you have to use the TP-Link injector.

If both supplier and consumer are fully 802.3af compliant, theoretically there should be no issue. If you have or plan to have more than 1 or 2 PoE devices, I would make sure everything is 802.3af

The biggest concern is knowing if your end devices need POE or POE+. Especially when its a WAP on the far end.

I have had some Ubiquiti products be particular about POE injectors, also.

Back