Is It possible to have a single proc P4 server?

CentronMe

2[H]4U
I have done it in the past. I have a client, or rather a business associate with a client that I help out with, that runs a popular day spa. He was upgrading the software and the new database would not run on their current server. So they got a Dell 2.4GHz P4 server. It included the ServerWorks chipset, 1GB ECC RAM and mirrored 7200RPM drives. Not really a bad deal. It's used to serve a FoxPro database to about 20 users.

It's possible to turn any old pc into a server, depending on what you want it to "serve".

I run a dual pIII 550 copermine boxen as my home server. Does routing / web / ftp / folding@home / Samba and the occasional game or two. Running 384mb ram, i can serve say ET to 10 ppl without much hassel. Review what it is you want to "serve" and then decide what hardware you need.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

like others have said depending on what you want to serve it should be plenty, but keep in mind that if you are doing more then dc/file/web/routing on the server, you will still need a massive ram/HD setup. but i have setup for a buisness a p3 500 with 512 megs of ram, and 4 wd 80gig se drives in raid 0+1 setup to do all there dc/file/web/routing work, and it runs almost 20 users (only 15 on at most time) and it works great for them (note it has room for another p3 500 cpu, and i can upgrade it to dual slot one 1ghz if needed, but i dont see that happening for a while(read never):p)

I use my laptop as a server lol (specs in sig).... Faster then my desktop box.

Depends on what your serving.

My Athlon 850 w/ 92mb ram serves internet to 10 computers, runs apache, postgres, ftp, and ssh without any problems at all :)

i got a C 233 - with 3 120g HD;'s in it and 192mb of ram as a file server for MP3's and movies - max connected is usually 2 - or 3 people - and it runs fine!

i also have an old toshiba tecra with a p133 and 148mb of ram in it that was used as a file server (small files as had a 4g HD) and a Inet sharing server / hub - it ran great - oh - i also had windows 2000 on it @ the time

now i got server 2003 on both the above systems and they run flawless! - and the laptop is now a DNS server as well :)

Back