Is it possible to force windows 7 to revert to a first boot state?

EricFX1984

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it possible to force Windows 7 to revert to a first boot state? As in no installed drivers...

ZERO installed drivers? No, since Windows automatically installs a bunch of generic ones and any TP drivers it has on board.

I think you are taking what I am asking out of context. Basically I need this install to start over as though I had just installed windows,

Ah, while context has nothing to do with it (since there was none given ;) ), then YES, you can.
Put your windows7 disk in and boot form it. When you go to install and it asks you where, delete all of the listed hard drive partitions, format the remaining space, and hit install. You'll get a hard drive with JUST windows on it. NOTHING will remain from the old install.

Ah, while context has nothing to do with it (since there was none given ;) ), then YES, you can.
Put your windows7 disk in and boot form it. When you go to install and it asks you where, delete all of the listed hard drive partitions, format the remaining space, and hit install. You'll get a hard drive with JUST windows on it. NOTHING will remain from the old install.

I don't think that is what he is asking (sorry if I missed any sarcasm). I doubt he want to reformat. IMO, he is asking if he can essentially strip all drivers added after the initial install of windows. I seem to remember back in the XP days you could basically delete or uninstall everything, and force windows to install it's basic drivers. So to answer the question, yes. I think you can, I just don't know the correct steps.

Typical laptops and desktops sold with Windows on them will also have some "f12" or whatever key hold-down at boot to fire up a restore environment that can return the PC to "just got it home from the store" state.

Is it possible to force Windows 7 to revert to a first boot state? As in no installed drivers...
And you want to do that, because?...

you can revert to first state with restore, if you have a restore point that old.

Similar to a repair install with XP? I guess you could reinstall, but put all your stuff in Windows.old directory. I think that may be the closest you will get.

No way to go back without wiping the partition and starting over with a new install or use a back-up image but you would have needed to create that image when you first installed Windows. This is why I always keep a few back-ups of my Windows installation at various points using Acronis.

you could also sysprep. All drivers will be re-installed on next boot.

you should try safemode to uninstall drivers or system restore to restore to an old point.

Windows 8 will have that feature. System refresh... but it's bad bad os you know metro ui and all :rolleyes:

lol, smart ass. hahaha, I know I can do that. Do you do stand up? :p

:D Beautiful.

If you want to revert Windows to a pre-driver installed position without deleting installed programs just type in sysprep in run and click it. Select OOBE and check 'generalize' then select reboot and OK.

The system will start fresh like you just installed the OS. Your user profile will still exist but you can just create a new one (to get fresh registry settings) then delete the old one.

If you want to revert Windows to a pre-driver installed position without deleting installed programs just type in sysprep in run and click it. Select OOBE and check 'generalize' then select reboot and OK.

The system will start fresh like you just installed the OS. Your user profile will still exist but you can just create a new one (to get fresh registry settings) then delete the old one.

Exactly this. Also works good when you want to change out the motherboard.

Sysprep is located at Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe if you have trouble finding it.

Back