is it possible to access plex content via the cloud outside your network?

Discussion in 'Cloud Computing' started by xternal, Jun 16, 2017.

1. xternal

xternal [H]Lite

i was wondering today if it were possible to put a plex server in the cloud & access it outside your network? say from your phone, public computer, etc. possibly having different user accounts with passwords, things like that?

2. Shockey

Shockey [H]ard|Gawd

You can do this now with plex from inside your network if you have control over router/gateway.

go to https://www.plex.tv/sign-in/ and create account/login
    Connect your server to your plex account
    Configure your server to be reachable via internet. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access
    Download the app for your phone or to go plex.tv/sign-in to access your content.

canyouseeme.org is great site for verifying port is open.

you can do it from anywhere really.

3. boss99

boss99 2[H]4U

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, just configure a port forward on your router to your plex box IP via TCP/32400 (default) and you should be good.

4. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

as stated this is all possible from withing plex, but keep in mind to access it from a phone you need to purchase the phone app or a plex pass. As for other users what you need to do is have someone create their own plex account then you can send them an invite to your plex server so they can view your content as well, nice thing about this is you can control what they see (as in pick which content you want). I used this for my kids, made them their own plex accounts on their tablets then created a "kids" channel with only kids tv shows and movies" that their accounts can access. You just need to be able to open the ports up on your server and your good to go. I use this to watch shows over lunch break at work all the time, works great lol

plex 1.JPG plex 2.JPG

5. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

you need to have a Plex Pass to add Users to your server as well.

6. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

nope, I do it without one. I believe you need a plex pass to create "user profiles" on your 1 account, but simply adding a friends account to view your library can all be done with the free accounts.

7. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Oh, ok. That seems pretty cool.