Is it possible the RTX series is the scrapped mining cards re-purposed?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by ds9voy, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ds9voy

ds9voy n00b

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    gigatexal and Gamerdad like this.
  2. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

No, crypto cards were Just io stripped, but I do like your conspiracy theory. Let's see how the 2080 does in compute. Must suck to be a gpu only company pushing Ray tracing that can be much more easily be done on a cpu. Future is bright for an APU card with Ray tracing. Can't wait for that instead of some half baked RTX crap at insane prices.

Edit spelling

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    CaNNoN likes this.
  3. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

• Inappropriate Behavior
    The RT cores in the RX series are (ASIC) Application-specific integrated circuit .
    Put down the cool-aid and stop posting crap.

Thank you.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  4. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

It is an interesting point to make.
    But consider they were due to release the new cards anyway which must already be in production.
    I imagine the mining ASICs can be re-purposed to other data processing projects.

5. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

No way any hardware company like nVidia would make specific hardware (as in the chip) for mining. It’s too fluid.

6. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

7. Dayaks

8. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

If the RT cores easily can, it could reignite crypto and pump more money into it again.

9. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

seems like a pretty heavy investment though doesn't it?

the ROI better be weeks.

10. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Right now it does but they will drop in price a bit in next month or so after release.
    ROI won't be weeks again any time soon though, more like months. 775mm² vs 471mm² is a bit of a jump especially if the gate density has improved like TSMC said, of course we have not seen the uncut product yet. Just have no idea of what the split in die area is for RT and typical GPU die functions.

11. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

12. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

This begs the question, was part of NVidias reasoning on the high price to reduce sales/value to miners?

dragonstongue likes this.
  13. Dayaks

1080 FE MSRP was $699. Now the 2080 is $799. I imagine the chip is much larger but I haven’t see a number yet.

The 2080ti would normally be launched as a Titan at this point and you can get it for cheaper/better cooling right now. Personally, I’d rather it this way. The die size is 50% larger than the Titan X.

Anywho my point is the prices didn’t move much and like others said I highly doubt anyone is buying cards. The return on a 1080ti is about two years if you have free electricity. If you pay normal prices it’s 4-5 years....

14. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Are you insane? Who in their right mind wants to pay extra money just so miners don't buy cards? What difference does it make if miners buy cards or not? For the average guy who only needs 1 video card, who cares if Dude #2 buys 15 for his mining rig as long he's not paying $800 for the 1 he wants.

dragonstongue likes this.
  15. Dayaks

I didn’t say that at all. The first half of my statement was the prices didn’t change at much or at all.

The second half is that mining is dead right now. It’s not a market.

That part you quoted was that I’d rather a “2080ti” now at slightly below Titan prices than what we normally get, a Titan at the same price / worse performance / worse cooling (you have to custom water loop cool...) and worse power limits.

My personal opinion is this has nothing to do with mining.

16. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

The profits per card have dropped substantially so a small price increase reduces desirability a lot more.
    Its just a thought.
    My initial comment on their pricing was wtf?
    They have lost many fans over their domineering and now pricing, I despair.

17. Dayaks

I think their margins must be way lower on these cards. Just from the BOM.

To me it depends if the 2080ti price drops to ~700-800 in 6-9 months when the ti usually launches after the Titan at reduced cost.

They should have just called the 2080ti a Titan. Everyone would have ate up the price staying the same.

18. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

You can't just call the 2080 a 2080Ti and the 2080Ti a Titan to fit what you're saying because the performance isn't there. It doesn't look like the 2080 is going to be significantly faster than the 1080Ti (maybe 10%). If the 20XX pricing came in at $450, $600, $800, far fewer people would be complaining. But at $600, 800, 1200? Nvidia deserves the backlash they are getting.

19. chx

chx Gawd

I can imagine a lot of things but Application Specific Integrated Circuits can not be repurposed. Bitcoin ASICs are wired to calculate SHA hashes and they can not do anything else.

20. Dayaks

What you are saying is only if true you completely ignore the 1/3 of the die dedicated to RTX features. If ~50% more performance from DLSS (AFAIK) and ray tracing mean nothing to you, then what you wrote is completely fair.

I play a lot of World of Warships which will likely never support these features so it makes it a hard call for me.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  21. schmide

schmide Limp Gawd

This has me thinking, how different is this to a Myriad™ X VPU? The thing costs about $100. nVidia's thing is about $100 more.

The real real question is how well will these things judge boobs?

22. Dayaks

I’ll be quite honest, this thread is too far off the tin foily hat for me.

What we know is in general the information seen has the 2xxx series is 30-60% faster than their counterparts (2080 vs 1080, ect.) DLSS adds another 50% where applicable. BFV runs Ray Tracing right now at 1440p 40-50 Hz and DICE thinks they can get at least another 30% out of it (52-65Hz at 1440p). They are also working on 4k with just Ray Tracing running at a lower res so you can get fps much higher than 60.

I do not believe they would ever gimp a chip for cypto. I could see them developing a coin or miner that would take better advantage of nVidia cards. Kinda like how nicehash has a nVidia only miner that dual mines... that’s my opinion.

Annnndd this is my last post in this thread. Have fun!

GoldenTiger likes this.
  23. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

If people were tracking their time on the forum as billable hours, I bet they've already spent more than $1,200 of time bitching and moaning.

24. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

No.
    What part of "Application-specific integrated circuit" don't you understand?!

Algrim and GoldenTiger like this.
  25. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

I think it's the "application specific" part.

Algrim, GoldenTiger and Dayaks like this.
  26. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

LOL

Factum and GoldenTiger like this.
  27. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

LOL

GoldenTiger likes this.
  28. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

We had real-time ray-tracing 10 years ago? Please stop.

Factum likes this.
  29. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

Wouldn't put anything past Nvidia, but, to have a "full fat (well kind of at least for NV as of late) design" be targeted directly for miner and realizing this probably would not be a good idea any more, in "theory" this concept has a glimmer of possibility.

but, also seeing what Nv has (or has not done) over the past couple of years, they likely would strip everything out they possibly can (more than they had done over the past couple of generations) they would have AND jacked up the price while also "tweaking" to get even more mining performance at a loss of any possible gaming ability.

either way, very far fetched, Nv are jack asses IMO, but, are also not completely stupid as these "coins" are very finicky and hard to know the coin that is popular today will be popular tommorow, and GPU vs custom ASIC might be more "available" for any number of coin types they also suffer huge performance loss in comparison because they need the ability to "crunch" basically anything you throw at them.

ASIC however (which GPU technically are, though not nearly as dedicated) gain massive performance benefit also tend to lose in regards to often enough only being able to "crunch" a limited amount of coin/calculation types..for example, Bitcoin or Litecoin (SHA256, Scrypt and so forth)

in "theory" GPU maker (likely AMD because they tended to have a very clear advantage over Nvidia in this regard for many years...by nature of the way their Uarch is made) could absolutely make a GPU designed for mining and mining alone, BUT, the return on the purchase price vs just putting all that design time into what they already do (standard or high performance GPU) likely probably would not at all be worth it for THEM.

anyways, interesting to think about, the concept kind of makes sense, they designed a Uarch for mining purpose and realized it would no longer be worth it for this anymore as they seen the value of the coins tank HUGE over the last while, so they decide at the last minute to "respin them" towards more focused gaming product...IMO, nah, but, Nv always does things to screw around for a multitude of reasons, so this would "reek" of a "jack prices a bit to get us out of a multi-million dollar colossal fk up"

HA HA ^.^

30. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Actually, the 2080"s msrp is 699. EDIT at least the MSRP is, but Founder's is indeed 799.

Dayaks likes this.
  31. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

And the oddity that was the Titan-V...

32. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

ray tracing has always been insanely cpu intensive, nothing surprising that the first gen does not do it very well. although I'd agree that the pricing structure was built to exploit people wanting to use these for data mining. I am hoping that by the time cyberpunk rolls around there will be an affordable and faster second generation.

33. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

we all know that's just a made up price that doesn't really represent what the cards are officially selling for.

just another one of nvidias little tricks.

34. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

And lol at this thread.

N4CR and Dayaks like this.
  35. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

I compare this thread to a flat-eather thread…
    Conpiracies are for retards to put it bluntly.

Dayaks, DooKey and GoldenTiger like this.
  36. Arcygenical

Arcygenical Will Watercool for Crack

Lol, if only I worked in an industry with billable hours.

cybereality likes this.
  37. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Rumors are usually based on nothing or based on an idea per some patent filed by the company. Someone probably saw Nvidia file a patent for ASIC and went “Loelz they are mining!” That would explain why we only heard rumors of mining. Also Nvidia has nothing to gain by gimping part of their performance GPU for something OTHER than what it was intended for, they don’t have a hard time selling product.

Now look at the flip side, these things are also going into professional graphic producing products, do you think they’d come out with a more expensive product and expect them to be cool with the mining part? Or do you think they’d come out with a dedicated RT engine that was literally being begged for?

38. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

That the OP nuked his first post says it all to me
    /thread

Dayaks and Mega6 like this.
  39. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

This thread is dildos.

Dayaks likes this.
  40. JRUHg

JRUHg Limp Gawd