Is it possible that a 6600/6600GT card work on a AGP2x mainboard?

mitsuhide

Limp Gawd
I found a N/B 6600 for $56 and a SPARKLE 6600GT for $90 today
(both of them are the second hand card ,no driver discs no box ,card only)

there is a old Pentium3 system of my friend

Pentium3 (coppermine) 850 coppermine @124x8.5
SAMSUNG 1024MB PC166 SDRAM
Creative Geforce 2 Ultra 64MB DDR
abit BH6 mainboard (440BX chipset ,slot 1 )

the mainboard only has AGP2x support

Is it possible that a 6600/6600GT card work on a AGP2x mainboard? :confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe AGP 2x has a different slot then 4x or 8x thus making interchangeability a bit diffucult.

I saw a 6800XT box, its back side write : at least a AGP2x slot

but that card sold for $190

AGP x8 card is a backward compitable with other agp slot. :)

It will fit on agp x2 for sure.

A 6600GT would be total overkill for an AGP 2x machine. I did some benchmarks with my card on 4x and 8x boards, and sometimes the frame rates were double on the 8x board. Same CPU, RAM etc. The only other difference was the 8x board was Nforce 2, and the 4x board was SiS 735.

However I don't think it would actually fit anyway, I used to have an AOpen Pentium 3 machine with an AGP 2x slot and the card it came with (I forget, think it was an S3 one!) didn't fit in my 8x board. It did fit in the 4x one though.

8x cards work in 4x slots. So if a 2x card worked in a 4x slot, that means an 8x card can work in a 2x slot. Correct?

http://www.abcd.com.au/v/agp_slot.htm

OK, here's how to know for sure. If it's a 2x/4x universal slot, the card might fit, but there's no guarantee it would work. If it's an old 2x slot, with the key at the far end of the slot (near the edge of the board), it won't fit.

For a 2x-only slot, your best bet is probably a Geforce 4 Ti or Radeon 9700.

One more thing, some AGP cards are keyed to fit in any slot (like a cheapo OEM MX440 I have here), but they still might not work for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the 6600GT is only keyed for 8x or 4x.

On an AGP slot, there may be a notch. If the notch is closer to the back of the case, that means it uses 3.3V signalling, and the connector on the card must have two notches. If it does not, you're out of luck. If the notch on the AGP slot is not present or closer to the front of the case, then the slot is compatible with 1.5V signalling.

9600 and newer Radeons require 1.5V AGP signalling. Not sure on the NV side, but I'd expect a 6600 to require 1.5V signalling support.

Back