Is it posible to change the c harddrive to another harddrive?

Wendig0

Gawd
My grandma needed more harddrive space on her pc so I installed an 80 gb harddrive on her pc. Right now it's just her slave drive. Her c harddrive is only 20gb, so could I just copy everything on that harddrive to the 80gb and make that the master hard drive and the old one the slave? Or would that cause problems? I want to do this so she can continue saving files to her c harddrive instead of a different harddrive.

You would need to create an image of the the current 20GB drive and map it onto the 80GB drive (most ghosting/imaging utilities allow you to expand the 20GB partition to the full size of the drive without issue). The most common way to go about doing this is with Norton Ghost, but it's not free. There's a few Linux boot disks that can do it as well I believe, but I don't know any off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion for a free boot disc.

You would need to create an image of the the current 20GB drive and map it onto the 80GB drive (most ghosting/imaging utilities allow you to expand the 20GB partition to the full size of the drive without issue). The most common way to go about doing this is with Norton Ghost, but it's not free. There's a few Linux boot disks that can do it as well I believe, but I don't know any off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion for a free boot disc.

So once create the image of the drive and move it onto the 80gb drive will it keep the same windows desktop settings as it did when it was on the 20gb drive? Like how the taskbar and stuff is? Also after I use the application all I do is just format the old 20gb harddrive then change it to my slave and the 80gb to the master and it should automatically change the drive letter of the 80gb to 'c' correct?

thx for the help so far

Just go grab Acronis Disk Manager v10 and it'll do exactly what you need it to do.

Make sure the 80gb is empty then tell acronis you want to 1:1 the 20 to the 80 and you'll be able to boot from the 80 once its done and have it as your primary.

okay, thanks. The 80gb is new and I just formated it to ntfs. I'll use that app. Does norton ghost do the same thing?

Ghost and Acronis True Image will do the same thing. Some drive makers, like WD, I believe, also have free cloning tools on their website.

Back