Is it okay to switch power and reset buttons?

[X]eltic

Limp Gawd
I have a problem with the power button of my Corsair Obsidian 700D case. I have to press it several times before my PC starts up and I can feel that it is broken. As a quick workaround, is it possible to switch the wires of the power and reset buttons of my case? I hardly ever use the reset button anyway, so if it is possible to use it as a power button instead that would be great.

[X]eltic;1041032312 said:
I have a problem with the power button of my Corsair Obsidian 700D case. I have to press it several times before my PC starts up and I can feel that it is broken. As a quick workaround, is it possible to switch the wires of the power and reset buttons of my case? I hardly ever use the reset button anyway, so if it is possible to use it as a power button instead that would be great.

It won't hurt anything. I've used reset buttons yanked from old cases as test bench power buttons many times :)

On any ATX motherboard/PSU the "Power" and "Reset" switches function identically. they are momentary switches, (only closing the circuit while physically depressed.) I've used this method before, when I had an old motherboard that took either AT or ATX PSU. when I needed to replace it once, I wend from AT to ATX, and since the case only had a reset switch, I used that.

Yeah you can even use a screwdriver in a pinch ;)

Screwdriver, jumper, paperclip, whatever's handy. I've lost track of what i've used to turn on or reboot ATX boards. (including a piece of wire on the ATX plug trick once)

I have this same problem also.. I usually get the switch to turn on by pressing the button untill it "clicks" then it works. But it only stays on for a few minutes then powers off. I got the exact same case as you, Any advice to get this working? please :) ? And f i find anything else on this ill let you know. Thanxs

Totally okay to do it! A relative's PC had the power switch stop working, so rather than go through the expense and bother of replacing the whole case, I just disconnected the Reset and put the Power on the Reset switch. It's a stable build so they never have to reset it.

ahh so basicly take the switch that the power button is hitting , and move it to outside of case , then us it ,or just bypassing the power button. Great IDEA ! :D Why didn't I think of that. :)

ahh so basicly take the switch that the power button is hitting , and move it to outside of case , then us it ,or just bypassing the power button. Great IDEA ! :D Why didn't I think of that. :)

No, no, even simpler. On the motherboard, disconnect the Reset connectors (should be two of them, + and - ) from the case headers (usually a bank of 10 pins on the lower right of the motherboard) and plug the Power connectors into their place.

I have this same problem also.. I usually get the switch to turn on by pressing the button untill it "clicks" then it works. But it only stays on for a few minutes then powers off. I got the exact same case as you, Any advice to get this working? please :) ? And f i find anything else on this ill let you know. Thanxs
It could also be a powersupply going bad. Listen to the psu and make sure it's not crackling or sparking.

Necrobump much? Sheesh, this is a nearly TWO YEAR OLD thread you just bumped...

Back