is it ok to talk about wardriving? few questions..

MATTRESS

Gawd
just curious if anyone has done it/wants to do it/has any information on it.

I'm curious to start doing it. I've read about cantennas, using old DirectTV dishes, all kinds of ways to make antennas...

I was told a cantenna is not good for driving ...

Can someone post some links? I tried writing a post at netstumbler's forums, but got flamed ... :p

I would do my research, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for any info!

Only do it if you connect and alert the person that thier network is not secure and show them what they can do to secure it. Be a white-hat wardriver. :D

Yoblad said:
Only do it if you connect and alert the person that thier network is not secure and show them what they can do to secure it. Be a white-hat wardriver. :D

i would highly advise against this.

as paranoid as people are, you tell them the network is open and you just proved to them that you accessed it, even if it was a simple stumble.

also, keep in mind that if you do wardrive and find an open AP NEVER use anything online that has plaintext passwords, i see fake AP's all the time just sitting out there to steal data .

Revelation said:
also, keep in mind that if you do wardrive and find an open AP NEVER use anything online that has plaintext passwords, i see fake AP's all the time just sitting out there to steal data .
/me *whistles*

Wardriving, while a fun saturday night, hardly legal. I don't think your average cop would get on your case, or even know what you are doing, but you'd find that one asshole who is suspicious of all things he doesn't understand. Further, the entire point behind it is to at least MAP open AP, and for what else but to use their bandwidth. That's wrong, no matter how you try to dress it up ( unless their SSID is called something like, "FREE AP" ).

having discussed this subject with Lethal before
it legally breaks down like this

"wardriving" is perfectly legal, in that your simply mapping
actually connecting and using bandwidth without permission however is not

and a further caveate, this isnt my forum and each mod has their own take on their "home" forums, so this isnt necessarilly the "final" word ;)

but will do for now until BobSutan shows up ;)

Netstumbler + intel intergrated or linksys G or Cisco Airnet
has turned up an alarming amount of open access points while driving with the g/f.
No real need for specialized stuff if you're just starting off.

Sucka said:
TV broadcasts/radio signals ect aren't illeagal

to receive
not broadcast passive not interactive
ergo, mapping is allowed, using someone elses property to access the internet isnt
without permission

this stays strickly within the "legal zone" of discussion or its locked
and warnings issued

fair warning ;)

Ice Czar said:
to receive
not broadcast
ergo, mapping is allowed, using someone elses property to access the internet isnt
without permission

this stays strickly within the "legal zone" of discussion or its locked
and warnings issued

fair warning ;)

"TO PICK UP ON" also means to receive :p

Sucka said:
To much grey area in this subject.

was trying to point out that there isnt a grey area on this
at least here

"18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES."

I hope that is clear, if not I'll lock this now

Ice Czar said:
was trying to point out that there isnt a grey area on this
at least here

"18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES."

I hope that is clear, if not I'll lock this now

I wasn't encouraging illegal activity at all, just mearly stating an opinion. I can delete if you would like me to.

look at it this way
there where 4 posts by members saying this is a verbotten topic
then I come along and say, that "wardriving" as in mapping isnt
then you post your opinion that if someone leaves a door unlocked
the deserve what they get

yes Id edit it

the problems with these threads is no one can seem to color within the lines :p

this is the edge, and such threads almost always stray over the line and are locked

Ice Czar said:
look at it this way
there where 4 posts by members saying this is a verbotten topic
then I come along and say, that "wardriving" as in mapping isnt
then you post your opinion that if someone leaves a door unlocked
the deserve what they get

yes Id edit it

the problems with these threads is no one can seem to color within the lines :p

this is the edge, and such threads almost always stray over the line and are locked

Let me clarify then. I didn't say they deserve to get stolen from/attacked/targeted for malicious attacks and so on, i was just stating that an open AP is a grey area in general. I leave mine open but protect my network in other ways. I have no problem with someone browsing web on my connection (hasn't happened yet), if i see anything otherwise i would shut it down. If someone doesn't want to share their internet, they have that choice and i agree with you it should be respected. I guess i did word it wrong, but my point remains, the means are there to protect it, and by reading their manuels they can secure it within 1 minute so ignorance is not a legit excuse imo. I went to my folks house and they even had theirs secured, i asked my mom how she did it, all she did was read the manuel :)

Along with that link i posted, i also found some other good reads on this subject, perhaps you should read some articles, you'll see it isn't cut and dry. And i agree, topics can get outa control real fast on subjects like this, so i'll just leave it at that.

Actually Im familiar with a few of the cases sited in that article (and yes I read it)
pay special note to the "Texas" reference, where our servers are :p
(this is not the first time this has come up and Im the unofficial [H]ard|Forums seeker)

the parameters here are the only ones that bear on this thread
while the law has yet to fully sort itself out (certainly when you consider the mutlitude of jurisdictions) there is a fairly broad codex of potentially applicable law regarding electronic intrusion, unlicensed broadcast, ect et al

we can discuss "mapping" technical aspects
but for the purposes of this thread we will limit the debate of spplicable law
as it is far more likely to incite someone to get far too creative with their box of crayons :p

Sorry for my disappearing act, but my machine went down for a few days.

For wardriving it goes like this, as Ice Czar already hit on...

The act of "wardriving" is perfectly legal, in that your simply receiving a signal and not making use of it. As soon as you start tapping network resources then you may be breaking the law, depending on our area. By default, consider the current laws that may be enforced against you for using network resources without permission, unless local laws state otherwise. Check with a lawyer before proceeding to truly CYA.

as ambit said- you do not need any antennas. if i have my laptop on and the wireless enabled during the metro ride home i will usually come up with a few WAPs. wierd thing is it never seems like there is even a building nearby that looks like it'd have an office with a WAP in it.

also, wardriving is a force for good and if you want to use it that way then learn more and play with it. as a net admin it is a good idea to "wardrive" your office. if you don't have any WAPs, but some pop up during your netstumbling then you may have a problem. if you do have WAPs, but suddenly there is an extra one appearing then you may have a problem.

wardriving is not evil. it is your intent on how you use it that is or is not.

Back