Is it Ok to run 3 OS X on Mac Mini

My Mac 500 GB, 4 GB RAM have OS X El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks. Will my Mac performance degrade using 3 OS X on the same machine? I mostly use 10.11.5 and occasionally 10.9.4.

I'm assuming you mean by multiboot and not something like virtualization:

Yeah, that should work fine, but I've never tried it. 500G may be a bit tight to support 3 different installs. I can't think of any reason it would degrade performance just having other versions installed on separate partitions.

I'm assuming you mean by multiboot and not something like virtualization:

Yeah, that should work fine, but I've never tried it. 500G may be a bit tight to support 3 different installs. I can't think of any reason it would degrade performance just having other versions installed on separate partitions.

Thanks for your reply mate.
I think removing the Yosemite partition and adjusting the free spaces to the OS X El Capitan should ensure a smoother performance. isn't? Should I get rid of Yosemite or Mavericks?

Not sure why you need to run such recent earlier versions of OS X. Software compatibility is not hugely different.

I say just run El Capitan.

You need to keep about 10% free on your install partition for each of your installs - which allows for swap space, temporary files, and the like. Past that, you won't see any real difference in performance based on free disk space.

I do agree with Terpfen, if you don't need all those different versions for compatibility, there isn't a lot of reason to keep them around. I use OS X almost exclusively for work, and occasionally there will be some odd or end that has compatibility issues when a new OS X release first comes out, but a couple months in pretty much everything just works again.

Thanks for your replies. I want to keep 2 OS X including 10.11 and 10.9 since I want the older and newer version of the Disk Utilities.

You can run the old DU on El Capitan, though the latest comments say it isn't working on the upcoming Sierra (10.12.x).

DISCLAIMER: Using an outdated version of a system utility bears a lot of risks and may result in the complete loss or corruption of your data. If you’re doing this, you are on your own and Apple will certainly not support you in any way.

Simply having any number of any OS on a single drive would never degrade performance since only one of them ever runs at a time, so long as you have free enough space for each OS's needs.

WIth that said, where an OS is physically installed on a hard drive can have a slight impact on performance due to the differences in data transfers rates of inner tracks (slower) vs outer tracks (faster)

Thanks for your replies. I want to keep 2 OS X including 10.11 and 10.9 since I want the older and newer version of the Disk Utilities.

What do you need the older version of Disk Utilities for? Seems awful wasteful to keep and maintain and entire operating system for a single utility.

There's no reason to do this. The El Capitan version of Disk Utility has the same functionality as previous versions, just with a different UI.

There's no reason to do this. The El Capitan version of Disk Utility has the same functionality as previous versions, just with a different UI.

Disk Utility on OS X El Capitan is equally unfriendly therefore I keep an older version. I formatted a USB with FAT and it wasn't recognized on Windows PC. Reformatted again with the Mavericks DU and it was visible on Windows OS. This is just one case. Partitioning is sometimes a headache on the El Capitan which is why I keep a previous version of OS X.

Disk Utility on OS X El Capitan is equally unfriendly therefore I keep an older version. I formatted a USB with FAT and it wasn't recognized on Windows PC. Reformatted again with the Mavericks DU and it was visible on Windows OS. This is just one case. Partitioning is sometimes a headache on the El Capitan which is why I keep a previous version of OS X.

There is no functional difference between the redesigned DU and the classic DU.

Back