Is it ok to put wifi card right under GPU fan?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
The GPU is a 1050ti that the fans blow downwards, since it takes 2 slots the next one is very close to the GPU fan. The wifi card has a heatsink, but am wondering if the wifi card will be ok that close to the GPU? Doesn't get a lot of heavy gaming, is AX200 card.

fans should be sucking air up over the GPU heatsink? unless you changed them?
Oh ok, that makes sense, I am noob to GPUs, I saw the fan facing down and was thinking it was blowing out that way, but rather the fans are pulling air up into the GPU? So in that case I guess the wifi card wouldn't be receiving heat from the GPU, if anything the GPU fan would be pulling air up away from it?

install it, take a pic, post it and we can let you know. "ax200 card" is too vague too, sizes vary greatly...

install it, take a pic, post it and we can let you know. "ax200 card" is too vague too, sizes vary greatly...
Is this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GPM825D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I could probably put it in that last pcie slot, is just a usb 3.0 card, am removing it anyways, but would have to lose that yellow usb as it blocks the heatsink, don't use that usb anyways so is ok, if you think the wifi card is too close to GPU.

Attachments

• wificard1.jpg
    wificard1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • wificard2.jpg
    wificard2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 16
  • wificard3.jpg
    wificard3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 15
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Many years ago, I had a Palit GTS250 have it's fans covered by a sound card.. Never really posed a problem although it never looked right

Definitely won't be catastrophic. Best way to be sure is to run some thermal stress tests with and without the wifi card there and see if you notice a big difference. You probably won't if the GPU has an ok fan curve, fans might just ramp up a tiny bit.

Definitely won't be catastrophic. Best way to be sure is to run some thermal stress tests with and without the wifi card there and see if you notice a big difference. You probably won't if the GPU has an ok fan curve, fans might just ramp up a tiny bit.
Generally the pc is used by child Roblox, streaming etc. Even earlier after installing GTA5 the fans never came on--they only come on if they need to--and it was being played when I took the pics and felt cool; but I also have a usb wifi adapter that I've been going back and forth with which to use. Think maybe safer bet to just use the external wifi adapter? The internet service is only 40mb and both run at that speed fine, I was just thinking maybe the internal would be more durable, but it's been using a usb 2.4ghz TP Link dongle for over 5yrs without issue.

Generally the pc is used by child Roblox, streaming etc. Even earlier after installing GTA5 the fans never came on--they only come on if they need to--and it was being played when I took the pics and felt cool; but I also have a usb wifi adapter that I've been going back and forth with which to use. Think maybe safer bet to just use the external wifi adapter? The internet service is only 40mb and both run at that speed fine, I was just thinking maybe the internal would be more durable, but it's been using a usb 2.4ghz TP Link dongle for over 5yrs without issue.
sounds like it'll be fine then

Yeah that looks like no problem. With GPUs being what they are these days I do wish the ATX spec would get adjusted to allow some more space in there, vertical mounting with risers is the solution I guess, if your case supports it.

Back