Is it OK to put a case fan on the CPU_OPT fan header?

Vexorg

[H]ard|Gawd
I am now in the process of putting together a new system based on a P8Z77-V motherboard, in a CoolerMaster HAF X case, and I realized that I'm one fan header short of being able to put all the case fans on the motherboard headers unless I use the CPU_OPT header for a fan. Is it going to cause any problems if I do this?

no mother boards do not care in fact i put the case fan on the cpu fan slot to shut up any alarms since i use liquid cooling and have been doing it for years old mohterboards had alarms or would not boot without a cpu fan plugged in., it will read as any other fan and spin as fast as the power of the motherboard lets it

It used to be a problem 10+ years ago when the headers weren't designed to output enough power for large and/or powerful case fans. I remember when the recommendation was to run power hungry Delta fans off a 4pin molex adapter.

Nowadays...go for it. I'm fairly certain any enthusiast class motherboard could run just about any fan off the header, if not several of them.

The only problem you may run into is the configuration of fan speed for that fan header in the motherboard's bios. Make sure and check the settings for it. Since it is a "CPU_OPT" header, it may be tied into the settings for the main CPU fan by default.

Back