is it ok to install my XP or Media Center on different computers? how find my serial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InCogneato

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm just wondering... on how many different computers can I install my legit copy of XP or Media Center with everything working great, updates, etc.

I would like to use it on my new computer but I'm wondering if it will be alright.

All info and details would be appreciated.

Also, how can I find my serial for Win XP and Media Center if they came from some crap like Dell or Gateway? Is it the thing that says "Registered to: 4878-JHWK848-whatever" when you right click on my computer?

THANKS

If you bought XP or MCE from a retail location (like Best Buy, Circuit City, Staplces, etc) then you can install it on ONE machine and move it to another machine once its uninstalled from the first machine.

If it came with your Dell, Gateway or some other crap, then its tied to that PC and cannot be moved to another PC.

To find the serial, look on the Dell, Gateway or craps case, it should be stuck on the side someplace, if not, call Dell, Gateway or Crap. :rolleyes:

The Magical Jellybean Key Finder to the rescue once again!!!

It's not a "serial," it's the Product ID you see when you bring up your System Properties. While it is possible to transmute that Product ID back into the Product Key which is what's on the sticker on the case (it should have one), that's not what's used to install the OS.

That's the Product Key, it's 5 groups of 5 digits seperated by hyphens, like so:

AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE

oh ok thanks :)

and what happens if i install on 2 computers? microsoft will say one is fake and wont let me download updates or something?

InCogneato said:

and what happens if i install on 2 computers? microsoft will say one is fake and wont let me download updates or something?

It may not allow you to activate the second copy. Be careful as your treading on the line about software piracy which is not tolerated on these forums.

InCogneato said:

For one it is illegal. Due to that we can't talk about it here.

InCogneato said:

Should it be discussed?

One installation of XP on One machine -- legal
Uninstalling a copy of XP and using its key to install on a new machine -- legal only if it's not OEM (i.e bought as an OEM copy from a retailer with hardware or included on a PC sold by a system builder)
Using the same key on two machines -- not legal
Using the same key more than one on the same machine -- not legal
Using the same key on a physical machine and one or more virtual machines -- not legal

end of story.

The only answer you're going to get here is 'Buy another copy of XP if you want to use it on two computers." Anything else is not allowed to be discussed.

Anything beyond us letting you know that the license only allows one install per machine isn't really for the realms of this forum.

I mean you can give it a go, and see what happens, nothing might. But that discussion isn't allowed on the forums. I should also point out, so it doesn't seem to tyrannical (haha FF spellcheck thank you), mostly the discussion isn't allowed, because first it violates the license, but more that it tends to lead to discussions on how to bypass activation, which is most definitely not allowed here.

i didnt know that that was illegal, how crazy

but thanks for clearing everything up guys :) stupid microsoft IM POOR DAMN IT :(

InCogneato said:
i didnt know that that was illegal, how crazy

but thanks for clearing everything up guys :) stupid microsoft IM POOR DAMN IT :(

It's stupid for microsoft to want to make money on a product they created? If you don't want to pay for an OS go look at Linux distros, most of them are free.

ryan_975 said:
... most of them are free.

All of them are free. That is a requirement of complying with the GNU license that Linus himself puts out the Linux kernel under, and any distro that chooses to use the kernel must comply with the license.

If by "free" you mean no cost at all, then yes, all Linux distros must be free to some extent or version - the reason some Linux distros have a cost associated with them is because of technical support, printed documentation, etc. But it's a requirement that at least one version of any distro - typically meaning the ISO file(s) you can download and burn yourself, not the stuff you buy in stores - is free of any cost.

ryan_975 said:
It's stupid for microsoft to want to make money on a product they created? If you don't want to pay for an OS go look at Linux distros, most of them are free.
you must be one of those nagging fat kids with acne who hang around in forums picking apart peoples posts to raise your self esteem in between your WoW sessions (and you cant even do that right). i was concluding the thread in a jocular manner, i didnt need your input. get a life

bbz_Ghost said:
All of them are free. That is a requirement of complying with the GNU license that Linus himself puts out the Linux kernel under, and any distro that chooses to use the kernel must comply with the license.

If by "free" you mean no cost at all, then yes, all Linux distros must be free to some extent or version - the reason some Linux distros have a cost associated with them is because of technical support, printed documentation, etc. But it's a requirement that at least one version of any distro - typically meaning the ISO file(s) you can download and burn yourself, not the stuff you buy in stores - is free of any cost.

I know they can all be downloaded in some form for free. But some people want or require the technical support and documentation from the company that made the distro. It's a significant part of what sets each distro apart even with in the same company's offerings. Which is why I said it the way I did. I knew that if I said all Linux distro's were free someone would chime in and say "OMGZ!!!!! NO THEIR NTO, I JUST OGT BACK FROM THE STOREZ AND REDHAT 11.23.32 WAS 4,230 DOLLARZ!!!."

InCogneato said:
you must be one of those nagging fat kids with acne who hang around in forums picking apart peoples posts to raise your self esteem in between your WoW sessions (and you cant even do that right). i was concluding the thread in a jocular manner, i didnt need your input. get a life

There are more tactful ways of dealing with misunderstandings than going to the level of insulting others.

InCogneato said:

As for you...welcome to my ignore list. My first personal character attack, and you couldn't even get it right. I'm so disappointed.

Fat? well yeah but how would you know that?

Kid? nope I don't think 26 qualifies as being a kid anymore epsecially since I have two of my own now..

acne? nope never had it either.

hangin around on forums? Hanging aournd isn't what I'd say since I just posting between doing a ton of other things that I have to get done everyday to make sure my house stays orderly.

picking apart others posts? only when the need arises

between WoW sessions? I play it every now and then, but defiantly not consuming my life like it does others.

low self esteem? nope, I quit slitting my wrists when I noticed people didn't really care about me.

get a life? got one thanks.

InCogneato said:
Flaming/insulting will not be tolerated here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back