Is it normal that on some cases (F-Define R6 my new case) don't work well with all USB drives ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
My issue is my Kingston 64GB DataTraveler Elite G2 USB thumb drive and a Mushkin thumb can't be used with this case. They worked with my old Fractal case and works with my friends PC also. Also keep in mind that I'm still using the same motherboard as I was before with my old case. But for some reason when I switched to this case and when I plug the Kingston USB thumb drive in it, it makes the PC act erratically for example the mouse pointer movies all choppy and the desktop is choppy and freezing up too, but it goes back to normal after I remove the thumb drive.

My SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 and my SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 64GB work just fine.

Why does this happen ?

Try to reseat usb connector, if you did troubleshooting and everything comes down to case being responsible, then get an RMA on it and send it back. I also have Fractal case but R5, and never had any problem with its front USB ports.

Front panel or motherboard panel? Front panel could give you trouble if not grounded properly. I actually had that happen when I added a front USB panel to an old PC I had some years ago. Plugging in a USB drive would make the PC reboot sometimes. Fixing the panel ground eliminated the issue.

An issue I ran into with my latest case also has to do with grounding. It wasn't giving me any trouble, but I discovered it in checking the front panel ground. Since the case is powder coated, there's a lack of electrical contact between the various sheet metal panels. I had to make bonding spots so all the metal in the case was properly grounded.

Last edited:
I don't guys, I hear what your saying but if there was a problem with the USB on the case how come I have zero problems with my other branded USB sticks from Sandisk ?

I have had problems with front USB ports also (Mostly on those "computer show" specials) though as the front panel USB wires are too thin (on better cases and the Fractal Design falls into that category) the two power wires are of lower guage (thicker wire) then the data wires and can handle the current in the longer wires. Is the drive you are having issues with USB 2 or a version of USB 3 super speed?

It sounds like a power issue. Do you have a multimeter or a USB diag tool? If you do I would see if the voltage drops too much when the problem USB is connected

Back