Is it Necessary To Install VGA Driver?

Hi there guys,
So I have the Asus P8z77-i Deluxe mobo paired with a AMD 7970 OC. My question is, is it necessary to install the VGA driver because I already installed the AMD driver. I tried to install the VGA driver, but it keeps on saying that my system doesn't meet the minimum requirement? I don't get how my system doesn't.

Thanks

In most cases, the iGPU gets disabled when a discrete video card is installed. You can enable it in the BIOS but that's only needed if you were going to take advantage of Virtu MVP, for example.

In most cases, the iGPU gets disabled when a discrete video card is installed. You can enable it in the BIOS but that's only needed if you were going to take advantage of Virtu MVP, for example.

I'm not going to use Virtu MVP, so I guess I don't have to worry about installing the iGPU driver then right? I do have one last question though. I have a Asus UX32VD, and I just recently installed drivers for it. I installed the iGPU driver as well as the nVidia driver. For a laptop this would be necessary right? I say this because the laptop can switch off between the two graphic card to save energy? Why can't this be done for computers? Or is the Virtu MVP suppose to do the same? Would you recommend that I install two graphic drivers for my computer?

Thanks

Desktop video cards have their own power saving features and barely sip anything at idle. You might see a 7-8W increase over using the iGPU. For notebooks saving power is everything. 5 watts can make a big difference on your battery. That is why it's necessary to install both drivers on notebooks. AMD and Nvidia both have their own technologies for optimal battery life.

if by VGA you mean the onboard video... no, not worth your time...

Back