Is it me or Windows Phone Sucks?

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I wanted the nice camera on the Lumia 1020, and since I had Android and iOS before, i'd figure I give Win Phone OS a try.

Is it just me, or this this OS just built for really basic usage scenarios, but with good security?

My list of peeves:
  1. No way to organise app icons in folders
  2. No way to organize app icons into multiple screens
  3. No such thing as a usable filesystem.
  4. Apps can only use their own files.
  5. Apps can only really get their files from the cloud.
  6. Microsoft cheats rule 5. by allowing themselves the ability to access Windows (PC) thourgh USB
  7. No way to play FLAC music unless you send the stuff to the cloud then download it to your phone.
  8. Shit keyboard. (REALLY miss the swipe android keyb)
  9. Apps can only have a flat filesystem.
  10. No such thing as playing music by folder if I want to.
  11. No advantage of using Windows PC and Windows Phone like there is on Apple ecosystem.
  12. Cannot go the internet with a browser to download a file, save it so that it can and used by your application of choice later.

This is just at the top of my head. I might just use this to keep a list

Last edited:
You are comparing it to Android. WP is not meant to be flexible to be all things to all people, its meant to be simple. It sounds like it does not meet your needs.

iPhone has many of the same design goals such as not allowing access to file system, fixed way to see icons etc. Android is designed to be very flexible - e.g you can put 10 icons for the same app if you want, clearly that can confuse people.

I was really curious when I read the title, but while your complaints are valid I really enjoy my 925. I like the tile system and its really fast. Don't get me wrong, the app market isn't very good and on a really bad network some of the apps don't work very well. Then you have the whole default messenger app not connecting to gchat which I would of really liked. But I still like my every day use experience enough that I doubt I will go back unless something gets really fucked up. I never liked apple and I was always irritated and the half second delay I would get on android no matter what hardware I was using.

All that being said, what does number 12 mean? I don't understand what your saying with that one.

All that being said, what does number 12 mean? I don't understand what your saying with that one.

Edited 12 to make it more clear.

Lets say I go to a website that has some nice pictures of naked woman. I download the jpg file and it will open up. You like the picture and you want to keep it for later when you are bored while camping with no access to the internet.

I don't think that is possible.

You are comparing it to Android. WP is not meant to be flexible to be all things to all people, its meant to be simple. It sounds like it does not meet your needs.

iPhone has many of the same design goals such as not allowing access to file system, fixed way to see icons etc. Android is designed to be very flexible - e.g you can put 10 icons for the same app if you want, clearly that can confuse people.

I am not comparing it to anything.

Just my expectation of some basic functionality for a smartphone.

Something as simple as copying files from my PC (Windows PC at that) so that I can later use it on my phone would really be useful. Now imagine the crazy idea of organizing those files in some structure so that I can find those files.

I mean, MS decided that it would be useful for their apps to have access to my Windows PC to get files through USB.

"Apps can only have a flat filesystem. "

This is very incorrect.

I am not comparing it to anything.

Just my expectation of some basic functionality for a smartphone.

Something as simple as copying files from my PC (Windows PC at that) so that I can later use it on my phone would really be useful. Now imagine the crazy idea of organizing those files in some structure so that I can find those files.

I mean, MS decided that it would be useful for their apps to have access to my Windows PC to get files through USB.

What's funny is a lot of the functions were available in Windows phone 6.5 and earlier. Then WP 7 took a step backwards functionality-wise and a step forward (some would disagree) with the UI.

Windows phone is meant to be simple, but needs some of the basic features you come to expect from a device. Here's to hoping one of the next updates fixes some of the issues you have with the ecosystem.. Although, Windows phone users have been saying "wait for the next update" since WP 7 was released. Microsoft has a lot of work to get done and I don't believe WP 8.1 will be the huge step they need.

Personally I love how well WP8 works on a cheap-o phone like my Nokia 520. It runs very well and I rarely have any troubles. Unfortunately I find myself turning my old Nokia N9 on now and again wishing Microsoft could combine WP8 with the swipe functionality the N9 had.

As a former wp user I can't disagree with your points, but I enjoyed my time with wp. It isn't for everyone if you want control and flexibility then you should look else where.

You can save pictures off of websites.

"Apps can only have a flat filesystem. "

This is very incorrect.

Can you elaborate? None of the apps I have, seem to have any subfolder support.
For example, I copied some music files using subfolders, but it does not seem to make any difference.

Same for Pictures.

I guess, you are correct that the OS supports subfolders. It just seems that for some reason the apps dont seem to take advantage of it.

As a former wp user I can't disagree with your points, but I enjoyed my time with wp. It isn't for everyone if you want control and flexibility then you should look else where.

You can save pictures off of websites.

Can you please tell me how?

I guess, you are correct that the OS supports subfolders. It just seems that for some reason the apps dont seem to take advantage of it.

I was talking from developer perspective. The OS supports folders just fine :)

As far as apps... I don't know, I don't use any "folder" software on my android phones either, never gate it a second thought.

I have implemented apps on WP and it is just how you present data... For example. Nokia app called "InNote" has a tab called "notebooks" which is really a collection of folders that contain notes created by user.

I also hooked my Lumia 920 via USB to my Win8 machine and copied music directly into file system, my collection was with folders ;)

Can you please tell me how?

Tap and hold. It is one of the most common WP gestures. It will open a sub menu with context options.

i.e. when I hold over one of Google Image pictures, i get "save picture / share picture" options.

to answer the OP's question: It's you lol

All kidding aside WP is pretty good but nowhere NEAR the Windows Mobile OS in terms of featurs and security....

I do like the:
tile system
glance screen
overall quality of the applications that I use. There are no apps that I have installed that crash my phone.
the phone OS can run for a month or more but I like to reboot it on the last day of the month. so that it will clean out the crap on the reboot.
more and Good Apps are making it to WP8 pretty much on a daily basis

my gripes It's like the took a HUGE step backwards with WP7, made a nice stride with WP 8 and maybe they will will get closer with WP 9....

1. the dialer sucks a giant donkey nut: your history consists of call time and DAY of the week for the current+ previous 6 days and does not show you the date until the previous 8th day at which point it drops the time of the call. Call lengths are not included.

2. Got a lot of socail media friends and want to use the social media intergration? Great, your phone book just got insanely larger with no way of removing entries that you do not want in your contact list. The best you can do is make a group and put all of them in there....work a round is to use seperate apps (this is what I do)

3. Alphanumeric password by Corporate IT security policy only. WTF? No IT policy = 4 digit PIN to unlock phone

4. No program install to SD card so whatever internal memory your phone has, that's it.

5. If your phone is in a locked state, some applications will not launch via voice command but instead the phone will tell you to unlock it.

I never used Android or iPhone but I used Symbian phones before and I enjoy mine Lumia 1020 like never before I enjoyed a mobile phone :)

And to answer the topic starter I think it is you , not the phone. The UI is very different form what people used to so you need to learn how to use it and when you know all the useful features of Windows phone you will like it more.

I used it briefly and left it for my android devices again. I had not used a windows based phone os since 6.0

Honestly MS needs to make many improvements if it ever expects to compete with the current phone market.

Edited 12 to make it more clear.

Lets say I go to a website that has some nice pictures of naked woman. I download the jpg file and it will open up. You like the picture and you want to keep it for later when you are bored while camping with no access to the internet.

I don't think that is possible.

I have about a gig's worth of saved pics from the internet....fully lulzy kinda pics.....

I just tap-to-hold and wait for the option "Save Picture" And then it is now in my pictures folder.

And to answer the topic starter I think it is you , not the phone. The UI is very different form what people used to so you need to learn how to use it and when you know all the useful features of Windows phone you will like it more.

All of this. Get so sick and tired of people talking trash about WP devices/OS. They all sound like whiny Beverly Hills bimbo's saying "waaaah this is just so hard where is this? where is that? oh I hate this thing its not like my <insert last phone> I am switching back this is too hard!" I had to Google 1....yes ONE thing to figure out how to do with my WindowsPhone device.....I came from iphone/droid. Just play around with it and stop getting so dam frustrated.....its a learning curve. Do you go into college crazy frustrated cause you KNOW you'll have to learn something you don't know? An office meeting? A teleconference?......I mean shit you guys act like the second you need to learn something new you life is over with and its the end of everything meaningful in your life. (yeah, I over did it....so what I'm pissed)

OP You have preconcived notions thinking all mobile OS's should be even across the board and they should have the same gestures and areas of focus.

However, in the business world its quite different. Business models need to look different in order to appeal to a different crowd.

I love my windows phone 7.8 HTC Radar. About to get either a Nexus 5 or Nokia Lumia 1520 (really enjoyed my time spent with it).

I still have yet to meet anyone with such demands of a mobile OS that windowsphone cannot conquer.

Also, why not just bring a portable dvd player and some fap material on your adventures? Or an MP4 player?

All of this. Get so sick and tired of people talking trash about WP devices/OS.

I really suggest to read user manual of Windows Phone to get useful tips on how to use it properly. There are some not very obvious things you could do with it.

For example to switch tasks you should long press back button. Also, for switching between IE tabs use long back button press. I saw people using Windows phone , being frustrated with it because they didn't know about that feature :)

Pics you save from the internet are in Pictures > Albums > Saved Pictures.

Pretty straightforward.

I switched from iOS to WP and after having WP for two months, I will be switching back to iOS when my upgrade is available to me. I enjoy the concept of WP, however the lack of apps that I formely used on iOS, lack of VPN support, lack of a "remote file browser" so I can browse network shares has me wishing I stayed with iOS. Also, my Lumia 928 has froze on me numerous times in the couple of months I have had the phone. It creeks when pushing on the plastic back, and requires a soft boot every so often. My iPhone 4s never did any of this and IMHO the iPhone is just more of a solid PHONE. iOS vs. WP OS is debatable....My wife's iPhone 5s is much more snappy than my Lumia 928. My phone appears sluggish when comparing the two.

I dont hate WP by any means, I want to love it however it has too many missing features that I became used to with iOS and as mentioned earlier, will be switching back. I miss being able to stream movies from my NAS to my phone, streaming pics, videos etc...I miss being able to VPN into my house to access my files remotely or check my IP cameras etc....

The new Windows phablet (not sure if it's 1520 or whatever, but the one with the 6" screen) has an awesome looking screen. Very Window's 8ish, but on a phone the OS actually is pretty slick.

It would take some getting used to, but playing with it at the AT&T store, I can kind of see it being pretty nice. The phone is huge though, so I don't know that I could go that big.

Note 3 is about the limit for me and even that is bordering on too big.

Nexus 5 at 5" is a nice size, but would not mind 5.2" or so.

The new Windows phablet (not sure if it's 1520 or whatever, but the one with the 6" screen) has an awesome looking screen. Very Window's 8ish, but on a phone the OS actually is pretty slick.

It would take some getting used to, but playing with it at the AT&T store, I can kind of see it being pretty nice. The phone is huge though, so I don't know that I could go that big.

I played with the 1520 in the ATT store as well. Way too big. Nice screen, yes, but way too big. 4-4.5" on a phone is the biggest i would personally go. otherwise its like holding a pancake to your ear.

I think it is you OP. You thought you could take a windows phone and turn it into an android or IOS device with a better camera. IMO I don't think you even realised that ecosystems are not the same. Your mistake was chasing features and not properly researching what the Windows phone OS was. I for one think Windows Phone is great for what it does but I knew to research it properly to know its strengths and weaknesses. Next time do us all a favor and don't spec chase and then come here complaining about how you failed to do your due diligence.

I went from an iphone 2g to a Droid X to a Galaxy Nexus to a WP 810, Havent looked back since the swap. The only thing I wish it had was a better camera and once I can get a 1020 on tmobile I will get that.

I mean it just works and works well.

I would say my most used feature is that I can answer a txt message from across the room without even touching the phone. I mean yeah the Moto X just got something similar (and more advanced) but I have had that basic functionality for a year now and it was in windows phone 7

This post has me a little worried. I current have a HTC ONE and purchased a Nokia 520. I haven't switch to it yet but I kind of like it. I'll need to make it my daily driver before I can really give an opinion on it. However I think I could grow to like WP.

Have any of your switched from Android to WP?

I went from Android 2.3 to WP8. I was never a power user on Android, so for me the switch has been nothing but positive.

I went from Android 2.3 to WP8. I was never a power user on Android, so for me the switch has been nothing but positive.

Thanks! I'm using the nokia 520 now. So far I'm liking it a lot. Already ordered a nokia 925. lol

What do you use as a smart dialer? I'm under the impression that Windows phone doesn't have one? Mine doesn't.

It is you. I have been using it myself between version 7 and 8 for the last 2 years and love it. Works solidly for everything I do with it.

It is you. I have been using it myself between version 7 and 8 for the last 2 years and love it. Works solidly for everything I do with it.

im making the switch from android to windows phone and so far very pleased myself.

I actually got the Nokia Lumia 1520. On a family plan with two users who don't require smartphones, so I get the opportunity to upgrade yearly. I went from a Iphone 4 to a Note, to a Note 2 to the Lumia. The Lumia is so much slicker than Android....the animations, the smoothness, it's just so pretty...that being said, there are a few things that blow: voice functionality is limited, voice texting doesn't detect punctuation (says comma instead of placing a , for example), no notification bar, locked eco-system (very difficult to jailbreak/root/customize),no stock clock/timer app, and limited overall app selection and no bluetooth message access profile (I miss getting texts in the car). Social networking is very well integrated....facebook, twitter, email, contacts - the smoothest set up I've had with any phone I can remember.

I am waiting for the 8.1 update (which I hope I don't get screwed over by MS/Nokia on)....which should bring the likes of Cortana (siri/google now competitor, but highly integrated into the phone's overall functionality). I believe that 2014 might bring enough functionality for WP8.1 to be a viable alternative to IOS/Android. It's aesthetics do not feel nearly as dated as the previous two.

I got a cheap 520 I tried it for two weeks. I tried to like it I even saw some positives but overall it has been an abysmal experience.

Shit Email (considering MS cash cow is Exchange) any one that says other wise fuck you you know nothing. Try using touchdown and go to this shit you will go insane. Even IOS/Android email apps are superior in every way and more customizable then this shit.
Really microsoft no fucking NOTES sync to exchange. Really?

Horrible level of customization, no grouping huge list of apps to scroll through.

Horrible use of Screen real estate.

Hate the flat look lots of apps you had no idea if some thing was an actual click able function or just informational display. This is frustrating.

Ugly simple as that its fucking horrible UI. Looks like Lego, no wait WP is not justified of Lego greatness comparison, its the knock of Duplo blocks for toddlers.

Can't change backgrounds.

Icons look like shit.

The simple color scheme drives you nuts after a while.

Lack of Apps that includes 1st party apps by microsoft. They released RDP for IOS and Android but not WP? are you fucking kidding me?

Notifications are a complete joke.

Multitasking and gestures are not like Windows 8 for closing apps.

I could go on and on with negatives.

I will say one thing Web browsing experience is pretty good.

Smooth OS even on the 520.

Back