Is it me or the HyperX?

Jonnycat99

Limp Gawd
I bought this pair of Kingston HyperX (PC3200), supposed to run at 2-3-2-6-1T.

The SPD tries to run them at 2.5-3-3-8-2T instead, which does run stable.

I changed the timings just a little (towards the advertised specification), to 2.5-3-3-7-1T, and forced 200MHz clock, but got errors in Memtest (screenshot).

So, do you think I got a bad pair of sticks, or maybe should I go with another brand altogether? How about the Crucial Ballistix (PC3200) , many problems with those?

Thanks for any tips on this.

BTW: CPU is Athlon64, MB is Epox 9NDA3I

Check your voltages. Set the RAM timings to 2-3-2-6 1T and make sure your VDIMM is at 2.6V. Maybe even set it a bit higher (2.65 or 2.7) just in case your board undervolts. Then try it. If it doesn't work then, RMA time.

The SPD reads looser than the rating on purpose. This allows boards to boot initially with ease so the proper settings can be set.

Thanks, Thrill. I did check the voltages, and actually tried a run at 2.7V (stock is 2.6V). I could neither run at the specified timings (2-3-2-6-1T @ 200MHz), nor at (2.5-3-3-7-1T @ 200MHz) at either stock or stock + 0.1V.

I went ahead and ordered some of the Crucial sticks to see if those work, then I'll RMA these.

Thanks.

what chipset is the epox there? as far as i remember reading (and i haven't done that much since i don't own an a64 and quickly learned to go the c2d route since i don't have anything close yet), most a64 boards are more lenient in terms of accepting ddr sticks. it may help though if anyone notices something striking

On my Epox 9NDA3J I wasn't able to run my sticks at 1T perdiod. I think it's a Nforce3 issue.

Interesting, thanks for the info, Pigwalk. Did you contact Epox about this?.

I'll post the results when I get the next set of sticks I ordered yesterday.

Okay, I tried each stick by itself (single channel mode), and I was able to run each stick individually with 1T command rate.

So, something isn't liking 1T command rate with dual channel. I tried bumping the memory up by 0.2V, BTW, but still no dice.

So, would bumping up CPU volt or Chipset volts help at all, or is there likely a compatibility issue somewhere?

does it run 2326 2t? i think im starting to vaguely remember something about the 1t problem mentioned

Yep, it will run 2-3-2-6 in 2T without a problem, in both single channel as well as dual channel. The only thing that isn't working is the ability to run 1T in dual channel.

Thanks.

it doesn't like me either. KHX3200AK2. 2x512. Rated 2-3-2-6. it is absolutely NOT stable unless it's at 2.5-4-4-8 2t. Crap ram.

ziddey said:
what chipset is the epox there? as far as i remember reading (and i haven't done that much since i don't own an a64 and quickly learned to go the c2d route since i don't have anything close yet), most a64 boards are more lenient in terms of accepting ddr sticks. it may help though if anyone notices something striking

Chipset really isn't that much of a factor here. The memory controller is integrated onto the Athlon64 CPU itself.

Even more confused now. I called Crucial, and asked them if their Ballistix memory is rated to 1T. The fellow I spoke with said that *no* Crucial memory is rated to 1T, that it is all 2T, and that no memory will perform at 1T unless underclocked.

Hmmmmm.

Jonnycat99 said:
Even more confused now. I called Crucial, and asked them if their Ballistix memory is rated to 1T. The fellow I spoke with said that *no* Crucial memory is rated to 1T, that it is all 2T, and that no memory will perform at 1T unless underclocked.

Hmmmmm.
you serious? I thought you could run any 2x 1GB pair at 1T?

UPDATE:

I wanted to post this update/followup for the situation.

I received the Crucial Ballistix on Monday, and they perform at 1T flawlessly, and at tighter timings than the HyperX specs to boot.

The conclusion is that the fault was with the Kingston HyperX, which failed to run at their advertised speed (2-3-2-6-1T @ 200MHz), at least in this board (EPOX 9NDA3I) and CPU (AMD 3700+ San Diego).

I do not have the time nor inclination to pay more shipping charges to test out any more Kingston sticks

The Ballistix do run very hot though, so I will be needing to put a fan on them, but the Kingstons are going back to Newegg.

Back