Is it me or is Sager cheaper than Alienware?

No, it is cheaper. The Sager is actually better. You are paying for the Alienware name and puke green paint job.

Originally posted by BUD212002
No, it is cheaper. The Sager is actually better. You are paying for the Alienware name and puke green paint job.

Whatever you do DONT BUY A SAGER. These laptops are a real piece of crap!!!! If you get it buy an extended warrenty. Its real hard to get parts for those units so beware... Ive worked on sagers and there made cheap..remeber you get what you pay for in the computer world.

Originally posted by elvmal
Whatever you do DONT BUY A SAGER. These laptops are a real piece of crap!!!! If you get it buy an extended warrenty. Its real hard to get parts for those units so beware... Ive worked on sagers and there made cheap..remeber you get what you pay for in the computer world.
Put the crack pipe down, now tell me wha makes sagers cheap? The parts arn't hard to find either you can contact sager and get spare parts.

I'm guessing Sager isn't as expensive as Alienware cause of the magnesium casing...........

Originally posted by Rob94hawk
I'm guessing Sager isn't as expensive as Alienware cause of the magnesium casing...........

Magnesium-colored painted casing. The only magnesium in that thing is the chassis frame itself. The rest is plastic.

And there's no dual-channel DDR in the Alienware.

As for the person who claims Sagers are crap: You're either high or jealous. Or both. They use off-the-shelf parts (CPU, RAM), and Sager/Clevo sell every single part of the machines in question for years after the models are introduced. And they'll upgrade the entire motherboard down the road to the newest model for about $700.

They're also as fast as high-end desktops.

Hardly "crap". but then, not everyone has $3,000 to drop on a notebook.

I have never heard one bad thing about sager notebooks.

Show me the proof. I have however heard tons of complaints about Alienware. I don't care what anyone says you are paying for the Alienware name. I still say they are a "kids" computer.

The other great thing about Sagers is some resellers (pctorque) will sell entire new motherboards. So say you bought a 5660, the i845 based laptop and you wanted to use the newest memory, CPU and have a Radeon 9600 Pro in it, they will sell you a new board to upgrade it for a reasonable price that will upgrade it to the specs in a a5680, it's really nice and they are the first laptops I can say I could abondon my desktop for most of the time.

yeah, the off the shelf parts bit would be a good argument, except that alienware does it just as much, they're really just a waste of money. if you want your daily dose of bling, grab yourself an alienware, otherwise there isnt anything but sager for the high end lappy market..

watch out for the battery life though, if you have to be away from a power cable a lot, high end laptops arent going to be a happening thing for you no matter which brand you pick. 2.5 hours of batt life is about all you can reasonably expect from any high end lappy these days. if you need a true mobile platform, go with something based on the centrino.

battery life is a bad spot on both systems. no thanks. i don't buy a laptop that needs to be plugged in

Well, from what I've seen, Sager will most likely be the laptop that I go with. And the weight issue? I essentially need a portable desktop to do my work so that doesn't really deter me away at all.

Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
7.5 lbs on the alienware is at least moderatey portable...12.0 on the sager is most certainly not.

If you look, the Alienware is a Sager.

Originally posted by emorphien
battery life is a bad spot on both systems. no thanks. i don't buy a laptop that needs to be plugged in
I don't consider it that much of a laptop either. :)

Originally posted by lopoetve
If you look, the Alienware is a Sager.

The current Alienware isn't (the A51-M2, or whatever they call it -- the one with the magnesium chassis and painted plastic case that has most early purchasers ticked off). The previous models were.

Originally posted by skritch
The current Alienware isn't (the A51-M2, or whatever they call it -- the one with the magnesium chassis and painted plastic case that has most early purchasers ticked off). The previous models were.

So it's a uniwell. You can still get it cheaper. :)

Back