Is it me or does the PS3 seem to get the shaft in terms of game bugs?

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
I'm constantly reading articles about how major titles for the PS3 (except first party ones it seems) are always having issues specifically with the PS3.

It also seems to be a growing trend. I'm surprised more PS3 owners in general aren't beyond upset about it. Hell Bethesda has gone as far to say that they don't think they will ever release DLC for Skyrim on the PS3 because of issues with the port.

I'm not blaming the system because we've all seen what a good first party title can look like on the PS3. But developers seem to always have trouble with major launch titles on the system. 4 of my friends who are PS3 only console gamers have all been moaning recently about it and how frustrated they are with the install requirements , bugs and connection issues with Sony's network. I know one of them is going to sell their PS3 and grab a 360 because he's so fed up with it.

Any of you PS3 owners out there feel the same way?

I don't own a ps3, and this is complete speculation: but if i had to guess i would assume its just a harder architecture to write for since its kind of unique

I haven't had many major problems with the PS3 but, frankly, I hardly ever use it. Then again I would rarely use a 360 if I owned one, anyway, so that's not telling in and of itself. From what developers have said, PS3 is difficult to program for compared to other systems.

I own both a game equally on both. I will say this many multi platform games I buy on the 360. Sony's issue is their network sucks! Downloads take too long as do installs. Multiplayer is pretty equal when you take chat out, 360 chat is far superior. The in house devs that make Ps3 games do a great job. The 360 is just the more friendly platform very close to PC, this is why the next system will be closer to what the next Xbox and the Wii u are. Sony needs to fix their network it sucked when I played ever quest and it still sucks.

Bethesda do seem like some of the crappiest coders ever. Even the PC version i've had to break out the ~ key every few quests because some guy wont open a door or the horse gets stuck in a tree. So it's probably just beyond their abilities. Same with the CoD makers who complain about the system not securing their game, when it's broken on everything else. It doesn't seem to be developers, but lazy, crappy developers who are annoyed they can't copy/paste and don't seem to spend time like other developers who don't have those issues.

The network is fine, but speed is going to vary based on location. Being US based, it may be better in the US, but in Europe Live seems worse TBH. Getting content from the PC version of Live is slower than steam or origin (which is weird as they're both digitalriver hosted services) and psn is about the same as Steam. Game files do seem to be slightly larger on the PS3, so there is that. I've never seen it disconnect when the internet wasn't down, however. One game had issues getting a patch at launch because a gazzilion people were getting the same thing (same happens during steam sales and every network ever. :D), but I just played without the patch and everything was fine. Install requirements? One of the good things is that you can just stick whatever SATA drive in it without any messing around or paying silly royalties.

Not to say PS3 gets the short end of the stick but 360 has its share of hiccups. For some reason its cooler to bash PS3. Darksiders had terrible screen tearing on 360 until patched. Dragon Age: Origin looked better on PS3, 360 it was more muddied. BF3 had less bugs and gets patches quicker than 360.

Other cases seem overblown. Ghostbusters and Dead Space look near identical when you’re playing. I’m sure there are some elite graphic whores who must have every dust partial perfect but the above average player won’t even notice them. Of course it didn’t stop the internet from making it sound like unplayable trash on the PS3.

I’m still reading the Skyrim DLC is still coming to PS3. I believe other developers or Sony or someone is helping anyways.

Bethesda do seem like some of the crappiest coders ever. Even the PC version i've had to break out the ~ key every few quests because some guy wont open a door or the horse gets stuck in a tree. So it's probably just beyond their abilities. Same with the CoD makers who complain about the system not securing their game, when it's broken on everything else. It doesn't seem to be developers, but lazy, crappy developers who are annoyed they can't copy/paste and don't seem to spend time like other developers who don't have those issues.

The network is fine, but speed is going to vary based on location. Being US based, it may be better in the US, but in Europe Live seems worse TBH. Getting content from the PC version of Live is slower than steam or origin (which is weird as they're both digitalriver hosted services) and psn is about the same as Steam. Game files do seem to be slightly larger on the PS3, so there is that. I've never seen it disconnect when the internet wasn't down, however. One game had issues getting a patch at launch because a gazzilion people were getting the same thing (same happens during steam sales and every network ever. :D), but I just played without the patch and everything was fine. Install requirements? One of the good things is that you can just stick whatever SATA drive in it without any messing around or paying silly royalties.

The network isn't fine says people like me with top end equipment and 50 mb internet and the ps3 is the slowest at downloading anything! It's Sony not me! Networking is what I do I'm not doing it wrong they are. I still play their system but wish they would fix it and their new store is slow also.

I don't own a ps3, and this is complete speculation: but if i had to guess i would assume its just a harder architecture to write for since its kind of unique

Sony should have learned from Sega's mistake with the Saturn. Saturn was a bitch to program for and Sony had the easy stuff and API's to make it easier. Now with the PS3 and Cell processor, they are making Sega's mistake. Technically superior, but more difficult for developers.

I'd probably attribute it to that, as well. Completely different architecture. As a new PS3 user, I haven't noticed anything, but to be honest, I don't do a lot with it.

The network isn't fine says people like me with top end equipment and 50 mb Internet and the ps3 is the slowest at downloading anything! It's Sony not me! Networking is what I do I'm not doing it wrong they are. I still play their system but wish they would fix it and their new store is slow also.

As you do networking, you should know no service has infinite bandwidth, nor can it maintain infinite bandwidth all the time for infinite people. Also about things like how service distance and ISP structuring can effect speed? :p

Move or change ISPs if you want improvement?

I have several games on the PS3 and Xbox and it would appear that the Xbox versions are slightly better. 2 games that come to mind are Afro Samuri and Ninja Garden

Also I have some games that are definately better on the PS3 than the 360 (Final Fantasy)

It all boils down to the programmer and how carefully the scrutenized the final product

I have several games on the PS3 and Xbox and it would appear that the Xbox versions are slightly better. 2 games that come to mind are Afro Samuri and Ninja Garden

Also I have some games that are definately better on the PS3 than the 360 (Final Fantasy)

It all boils down to the programmer and how carefully the scrutenized the final product

Ninja Gaiden was Xbox first and PS3 second. Final Fantasy was PS3 first and Xbox second. That seems to have lots to do with it, as they probably don't budget/staff as much to get the port done (though there are exceptions like DA:O). :D

As you do networking, you should know no service has infinite bandwidth, nor can it maintain infinite bandwidth all the time for infinite people. Also about things like how service distance and ISP structuring can effect speed? :p

I am not the only person with these complaints, and move really that is the dumbest fing suggestion I've ever received in this forum. There network is consistently slow for downloading things. Funny I can download things from steam as well at over 2-3mb/sec. Super fast and from origin as well. Sony's network has always been just OK. I support all these game companies and have had a ps3 since day one, I know plenty of people that say the same thing and they live in different areas with different ISP's.

This is off the main topic of the game bugs

Yeah I'm the only one
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1Y3NDUG_enUS499US499&aq=0&oq=ps3+slow&client=tablet-android-asus-nexus&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&q=ps3+slow+download

Ninja Gaiden was Xbox first and PS3 second. Final Fantasy was PS3 first and Xbox second. That seems to have lots to do with it, as they probably don't budget/staff as much to get the port done (though there are exceptions like DA:O). :D

opps meant to say little ninja

if you have x amt of pipe into the house one should expect similar performance between A PS3 and 360 as 10/100 is like decades old technology..... and at the time of their release Wireless G was well established and trouble free...

Having lived in several places with different cable modems and routers, i can tell you that the 360 is generally faster than the PS3 at downloading stuff weither it be firmware or a game...but both pale in comparison to 4+MBytes/sec that I can pull off of Steam through the same network.

if you have x amt of pipe into the house one should expect similar performance between A PS3 and 360 as 10/100 is like decades old technology..... and at the time of their release Wireless G was well established and trouble free...

Having lived in several places with different cable modems and routers, i can tell you that the 360 is generally faster than the PS3 at downloading stuff weither it be firmware or a game...but both pale in comparison to 4+MBytes/sec that I can pull off of Steam through the same network.

Exactly, hell I have to limit steam that sucker can hog all the bandwidth if you don't limit it

I was annoyed with all the glitches I got in Red Dead Redemption, but because so few people got them, it was largely considered a non event.

You can say the same about anything.

As you know about networking, youll know if one server is in Alaska and one is in TX and you live in CA, one will likely have better performance. Hense the whole move thing, it wasn't a serious suggestion more a reflection of reality. :p

As for whatever reason the US has very low adoptions rates vs. the rest of the world, it is not surprising that the level of service is lower than one the country seems obsessed with.

I have a 300 meg FiOS connection (which is better than what most people have throughout the globe) and through PSN I'm lucky to pull about 5-6 megabytes during off peak hours. During peak hours I'm pulling around 3-4 megabytes a second.

On Xbox Live I can actually get close to 10-12 megabytes a second and sometimes as high as 15+ and during peak hours the speeds don't alter much. So even with the ideal networking situation there seems to be some kind of bandwidth nanny in place for the PSN setup but you also have to consider PSN is free to the entire PS3 user base while Xbox Live is a sub. You pay for what you get.

I can pull around 30 megabytes a second on Steam as well.

I know a good developer is a massive difference from a bad one in terms of programming but it just seems like the PS3 and its owners get stuck with more "issues" to deal with during launch and sometimes well into release. It certainly , for me at least , brings into question if its worth while to get the next PS that comes down the line unless Sony is going to go with a simple hardware configuration instead of some weird Cell CPU design.

If a game is created for both platforms, 360 and PS3, at the same time, generally speaking, the 360 version is better. There's always some framerate, aliasing, or bug issues with the PS3 version. There's probably only a handful of titles shared on both platforms where the PS3 version is actually better.

None of the PS3 games I own have shown an issue I can recall. But, it's like everything: some people have a flawless experience while others are stymied at every instance.

I don't have a 360 to compare with, so maybe things would pop out more if I did. Maybe not.

I think people are forgetting the history of the PS3. Basically it's hard to program for compared to the 360. The Cell is a weird processor to say the least. And Sony at the last minute decided to slap a 7800 gpu in there. It took a while for the PS3 version of games to be on par with the 360.

I'd say it is lazy developer/support. Many PS3/PC get a port originally built around the 360 sadly. Just as many of the last gen Gamecube got ports from the PS2 or Xbox.

For the PS3 the dev kit wasn't very friendly but sony released a dev kit a year or two ago that was to be much more easy to work with, albeit too late in the game IMO.

Some companies are known for crappy support though and EA Need For Speed always comes to mind, they never fix any of there games PC or PS3. NFS Undercover is unplayable on both systems and the new Most Wanted has its issues and haven't heard anything about a patch. The problem is with tracks not caching or pre-loading properly, car falls through the road, or game completely freezes for seconds in the middle of a race and then starting up again. My 128GB SSD PS3 Slim does it and my friends 500GB PS3 fat has the same issues.

As for download speeds in the PSN store I get full 1MB/s which is what is paid for, although Firmware, game patches, etc.. are slow. I do open up ports on my router that I don't have on hand currently.

Many multi-platform games are developed on the PC or 360, and ported to other consoles. The PS3 architecture is quite different so the transition can wind up buggy.

The PC version should be developed as it's own platform at the same time the PS3 version is developed, then port the PS3 version to the 360. Developers have said the transition from PS3 to 360 is easier than 360 to PS3. Going this route would benefit all gamers.

My suspicion about "some developers" problems with the PS3 (Bethdesia comes to mind) is due to its severe memory handicap (256MB). As thats HALF what the 360 has, you have to do a lot of re-arranging of how you handle memory in order to make things fit within that limit. As a result of that re-design, bugs creep in (two things accidentally sharing the same memory location, for instance).

I can't really say much on multiplatform stuff because typically anything multiplatform I buy on PC (if it's a shooter) or 360 (if it's a fighting game). Most of the other games in my libraries are the console exclusives.

I can't say I see much in the way of console exclusive Ps3 games with issues. The few multiplatform titles I've had for the system were apparently better on the Ps3 than the 360 (Portal 2 for instance, which I bought since it came with the PC copy free and also had Steamworks integration).

I do hate how titles seem to have frequent updating and the PSN bandwidth seems to be run through two tin cans with a thin thread of string. Software Updates on that thing fail out quite often for me because the bandwidth is shit and I have to download the update on PC and stick it on a thumb drive. (This even though we have U-Verse 18Mbps and pull that much 99.9% of the time.)

I'm constantly reading articles about how major titles for the PS3 (except first party ones it seems) are always having issues specifically with the PS3.

It also seems to be a growing trend. I'm surprised more PS3 owners in general aren't beyond upset about it. Hell Bethesda has gone as far to say that they don't think they will ever release DLC for Skyrim on the PS3 because of issues with the port.

I'm not blaming the system because we've all seen what a good first party title can look like on the PS3. But developers seem to always have trouble with major launch titles on the system. 4 of my friends who are PS3 only console gamers have all been moaning recently about it and how frustrated they are with the install requirements , bugs and connection issues with Sony's network. I know one of them is going to sell their PS3 and grab a 360 because he's so fed up with it.

Any of you PS3 owners out there feel the same way?

The PS3 issues with Skyrim including the random freezing & possibility of not releasing the DLC for it have me at my wits end with the PS3. I usually buy games that are on multi systems for the PS3 but that's going to be changing.

Back