...Is it just me...?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I have a HTC EVO 4G as my smartphone, and I use it a lot to listen to music. For verious reasons I was without it for several days, so I got out my old iPod Touch 1G (yes, first generation) charged it up, and sync'd up some music to it...

Using the exact same headphones, the sound seemed much richer, clearer, and over-all better than anything my EVO puts out O_O

was it just coincidence, or is this 5-year-old media player actually producing higher-quality audio than my modern android device? (and with hella better battery life!)

I think the ipods have a better dac than the evo...or something like that

I think the ipods have a better dac than the evo...or something like that

Correct. My iPod Touch sounds way better than my Android phone. But my HP Touchpad sounds almost as good as the iPod.

the decoder is a better ipod .... also the EVO 4G isnt exactly modern

too bad the apple head phones are pure crap.

I've bought worse... atleast they have a remote. Currently using some $40 Koss, saving up for some AudioTechnica (wish I knew what they used in the apple stores, those were nice)

I have an Acer Iconia Tab. One day I used it in my car with a bluethooth gps receiver and a nav program (navigon). while doing nav I had music playing in the background. Mine you, I was doing this exact same thing using my iPad for months prior to doing it on my Android tablet. I was shocked when I heard the crappy sound coming out of the Android tablet via the 3.5 mm headphone jack. I had no idea it was so crappy.

I have done this same thing on my Droid Incredible phone. It as much better. I think it really depends on the device. Some Android hardware is crappy if it is sold on the cheap. Beware. Cheap is cheap. Apple still is mostly not known to be cheap (admittedly, the cameras on the iPad 2 were cheap). Manufactures control price by slipping in cheap parts hoping that consumers will not notice.

These days, a phone is supposed to be a muisc player too. It should do a decent job at that. I suppose some people would assume that no one would listen to music on a tablet, but IMO those kinds of assumptions just aren't realistic. Even though I have many options for listening to music, I found myself wanting to use a tablet for that purpose only to find out it has crap components selected to make the device price competitive. BEWARE.

I wouldn't expect a device to provide superior audio simply based on it being newer. We've had the technology for high quality audio in portable devices for a long time now, it's just a matter of how much priority is given to it by the manufacturer. In the case of the iPod, audio is the primary function of the device, and I'd expect it to do a good job of it.

iPods have generally had better DACs than other comparably priced MP3 players, not to mention phones.

My galaxy 2 audio out sucks compared to my iPod or iPad.

I didn't find this to be such. I have a SGH-T989 and my S/O has an iPhone4s.

The 4s has better soundstage and I found the S2 to have better highs

I didn't find this to be such. I have a SGH-T989 and my S/O has an iPhone4s.

The 4s has better soundstage and I found the S2 to have better highs

I had to get a volume booster app for my E4GT SG2 to get a modest, and still crappy, amount of bass. I actually have to turn down the treble with the iPad. This is connecting it to my car btw.

too bad the apple head phones are pure crap.

Agreed. But at the same time, the stock iBuds are "good enough" for most people, and the remote functionality sets them apart. People cringe at paying more than a few bucks for audio equipment, so why jack the price of an iPod Touch up $100 by including something people don't want?

To me, the far bigger problem is the lack of lossless music in the iTunes Store. I can supply my own quality audio hardware, so I'd like to be able to conveniently purchase better source material. The record companies want nothing to do with that, however.

Yeah, when I had my 5G iPod I just took the quality for granted. The sound quality is so much better than what my SGS puts out. It's a pity it broke 14 months in.

Back