Is it just me or...

demondrops

Limp Gawd
Does gaming today more lean towards ... apex legends, fortinite and these games as a service thing. Where old timer like me always prefer a strong story and good gameplay? Maybe gaming today is too monetized. I know there are still good story driven games but, they seem to be the minority. Before that was more the norm sort of...

Ah, the good old "back then games used to be about story" rant. It's nice that you weren't super condescending but it's still shitposting, just a little restrained.

There are more story-driven games than ever before, way more than multiplayer games being released, and yet people like you always complain about it. It's almost as if the popularity of something you don't enjoy makes you uneasy for some reason. I have a pretty good idea what is it that bugs you but I don't know you well enough to get into that. Quite a few dudes like you on this forum, though. It's quite sad, really.

I've been playing games for 30 years now (likely longer than you have) and never cared about the story. I want fast, skill-based games. Yes, losing 35:0 in Quake 3 / Live sucks, but I'd take ego maniacs spawn-raping my ass until I foam on the mouth before I dive into a slow, story driven game

Think about all the games that had their SP modes thrown out or replaced with garbage co-op modes. Or were replaced entirely with PvP only games. Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, even that Sleeping Dogs online "sequel". And then there are those games that are filled with MP style grind mechanics and microtransactions. It is getting harder to find a proper SP game these days. Yes some do come out though.

Reactions: M76
like this
This is one of the reasons I have a PS4. If you want quality single player experiences then a PS4 is almost a must have.

The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man - just to name a few. Death Stranding also in a few weeks.

Ah, the good old "back then games used to be about story" rant. It's nice that you weren't super condescending but it's still shitposting, just a little restrained.

There are more story-driven games than ever before, way more than multiplayer games being released, and yet people like you always complain about it. It's almost as if the popularity of something you don't enjoy makes you uneasy for some reason. I have a pretty good idea what is it that bugs you but I don't know you well enough to get into that. Quite a few dudes like you on this forum, though. It's quite sad, really.

I've been playing games for 30 years now (likely longer than you have) and never cared about the story. I want fast, skill-based games. Yes, losing 35:0 in Quake 3 / Live sucks, but I'd take ego maniacs spawn-raping my ass until I foam on the mouth before I dive into a slow, story driven game

I think "shitposting" is a bit strong, but I get your point. I think what OP meant to say is that a lot of popular games that the kids are all into these days lean heavily on monetization. I totally agree with you though, I feel like there are lots of good indie games out there that are really engaging - games that I could play with my wife and both have a good time with. I think that, outside of the mainstream, there are lots of great games to be played out there these days - an overabundance even.

Im on the opposite end of the spectrum. Used to loved the SP games, but now, I am stuck on the MP side, and unfortunately there isnt shit out, besides fortnite, apex..

or maybe I just dont have any friends..

:|

Had a blast with Quake 3 Arena for several years. Endless hours and getting little sleep eventually burned me out.

If I jumped back into it these days I'd suck major ass.

It's just one of the signs you're getting older. You either evolve with the times, or get left behind. Don't worry though, it happens to us all sooner or later. Games aren't better or worse, they're just different. At one point in time, when you became the new audience, someone else was in the same position as you are now, stating that games you love were destroying gaming.

I think "shitposting" is a bit strong, but I get your point. I think what OP meant to say is that a lot of popular games that the kids are all into these days lean heavily on monetization. I totally agree with you though, I feel like there are lots of good indie games out there that are really engaging - games that I could play with my wife and both have a good time with. I think that, outside of the mainstream, there are lots of great games to be played out there these days - an overabundance even.

Yeah, what the OP is saying is 100% true for the "AAA" space in gaming, but once you get outside of that there's a ton of good stuff out there.

My wife is into story driven games, and her problem is she doesn't have nearly enough time to play all the good stuff out there.

OP is just bitter others are having fun with games he has no interest in. Can't have that, apparently. Biggest AAA games are predominantly SP games, and always have been. He's literally stating the opposite of the truth. I call shit posting on that.

Yeah, what the OP is saying is 100% true for the "AAA" space in gaming, but once you get outside of that there's a ton of good stuff out there.

No, it never was true.

Life is short so you get these games that are really shallow today because the people who made games like the Ultima Online and Everquest are long gone and people today no longer
have the chops to make games like that anymore. Unless Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is good. Then we have Baldurs Gate 3 in the pipline hopefully the game is serious and not a meme.

Last edited:
My wife is into story driven games, and her problem is she doesn't have nearly enough time to play all the good stuff out there.

OP is just bitter others are having fun with games he has no interest in. Can't have that, apparently. Biggest AAA games are predominantly SP games, and always have been. He's literally stating the opposite of the truth. I call shit posting on that.

Speaking of shit posting....:rolleyes:

I find that I don't have enough time for all the single player games that are out. Sure there are a few MP only games that are huge, but there are a ton of singleplayer games that are available, and new.

Does gaming today more lean towards ... apex legends, fortinite and these games as a service thing. Where old timer like me always prefer a strong story and good gameplay? Maybe gaming today is too monetized. I know there are still good story driven games but, they seem to be the minority. Before that was more the norm sort of...

i dunno i was never into the story stuff.. i'd say the nice thing about most games these days though is just being able to open them and hop into a few matches for a couple hours and calling it a day where as when i was younger i had no problem burning 6-7 hours in an RTS game.

Maybe were are victims of our own impatience? We kind of have a "get it now" and "that's too long" expectation... right? Maybe that's why we prefer the games we do?

Show me those story driven AAA games, this year so far I played exactly one that was worth a damn: Metro Exodus. Where are the others? Gears5? Don't insult me.
Why is it sad that people want to play story driven games?
A story driven game can be skill based and fast paced. What is your point? Apart from "mine is bigger than yours" and "stop liking what I don't like"?

I'm sorry that reality offends you, but it is a fact that most games now are completely focused on monetization and live services. And what's better to sell egoboosters than multiplayer games where you can actually show them off to other people?

I am only I would guess about 2/3rds of the way (I would guess) through Borderlands 3, and the story has impacted me emotionally.

This is one of the reasons I have a PS4. If you want quality single player experiences then a PS4 is almost a must have.

The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man - just to name a few. Death Stranding also in a few weeks.
Too bad I can't have a quality single player experience without proper mouse/kb controls. I played TLOU and HZD, but it was really painful with the controller, especially TLOU.

Games are heavily monetized today & rely heavily on FOMO, I tend not to play the ones that are, mostly out of spite, but more often than not they are crappy anyway.

Not really. The games that make the most profit tend to be MP games. This isn't bad, I do like PvP games myself but lets not pretend there is a huge glut of story based games. And single player doesn't automatically equal story driven. A lot of games these days may be single player, or offer single player modes (that are intended for co-op, see The Division or Destiny). While they may have a very minimal setting there is no real story. They also tend to be open world and formed more after MP style with many set pieces and more repetitive actions.

Now yes, there are certainly some SP, story driven games. Control, Metro Exodus and Gears of War 5 come to mind. But the number is certainly thinning. Someone noted that Sony still seems to heavily invest in story driven games and I do suppose that is true.

Why not both? Because it depends on the platform; Sony and Nintendo have been investing a lot into single-player games with good gameplay on their consoles (which is why I've spend most of my time on PS4 the past few years), while mobile and PC games have a lot of popular Freemium multiplayer games or games with a lot of micro-transactions.

I know there's a lot of PC elitists on here, but IMO the best games of the past several years have been PS4 exclusives; Uncharted Series, The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon ZD, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus remake, Spiderman, Detroit: Become Human (timed exclusive - on PC now), Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5, Yakuza series, etc. None of these games have any micro-transactions, only a few have any DLC but they're meaningful additions at least, and all of them are single player games with engrossing stories and gameplay with very high production values.

Last edited:
More story driven games than ever. They do tend to spend advertising dollars on the games likely to make them the most return though. So, I could see why one might think otherwise.

Too bad I can't have a quality single player experience without proper mouse/kb controls. I played TLOU and HZD, but it was really painful with the controller, especially TLOU.

I found those 2 still ok, I'm realy struggling with days gone though, so bad that I put it aside for now.

as to the topic on hand, I feel there are still tons of good story driven games, maybe not all of them are big AAA games but there have been a decent chunk of old school like RPG's that shou:lld be worth a playtrough.
(Divinity Original sin 1 & 2, tyranny, pillars of eternity, torment: tides of numenera) some shooters (the new wolfenstein games, the Division 1 & 2, BF I & V, Prey, Metro exodus), games like wasteland 2 and soon 3, the shadowrun series of games, the witcher series, mass effect series, tomb raider reboot series, upcoming games like the Outer worlds, Cyberpunk 2077, Borderlands 3.

Then there are also all the previously mentioned console games.

man the Storyline of quake. such a glory to to explorer. the game was just not the same without that story
or commander keen man the sotry built up was huge..
Maste OF Orion. phew... i mean i replayed that game only to reread the story

Some games are story based some are not. it has always been this way

Im on the opposite end of the spectrum. Used to loved the SP games, but now, I am stuck on the MP side, and unfortunately there isnt shit out, besides fortnite, apex..

or maybe I just dont have any friends..

:|
This is my opinion. Seems like the list of multiplayer games is really small because most people are playing the popular mainstream titles while there is no population to play in others. All the while everyone is trying to copy LoL's or Fortnite's success.
Show me those story driven AAA games, this year so far I played exactly one that was worth a damn: Metro Exodus. Where are the others? Gears5? Don't insult me.

A story driven game can be skill based and fast paced. What is your point? Apart from "mine is bigger than yours" and "stop liking what I don't like"?

I'm sorry that reality offends you, but it is a fact that most games now are completely focused on monetization and live services. And what's better to sell egoboosters than multiplayer games where you can actually show them off to other people?
There had been kind of a drought in the past few months, but there still have been some good ones this year.

Control
Days Gone
Devil May Cry 5
Greedfall
Kingdom Hearts III
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (if you missed it because console)
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Looking forward to:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Death Stranding
The Outer Worlds
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

And these are just the "AAA" titles.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

This site never fails to bring a smile to my face, randomly perusing the forums I come across a statement "shitposting" (haven't seen that in a while) and damn near spit my coffee into my monitor at work. Thank you dgz for making my morning more than the dull " How the hell do I hold my eyes open this Monday morning? "

This is my opinion. Seems like the list of multiplayer games is really small because most people are playing the popular mainstream titles while there is no population to play in others. All the while everyone is trying to copy LoL's or Fortnite's success.

There had been kind of a drought in the past few months, but there still have been some good ones this year.

Control - Epic exclusive
Days Gone - PS4
Devil May Cry 5 - Based on the gameplay trailer this is really not a game for me with repetitive bullet sponge madness, besides I'm really not a fan of japanese manga/anime style games.
Greedfall - not AAA, but AA - was on the fence with this one, but seems pretty meh
Kingdom Hearts III PS4/XBOX
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (if you missed it because console) Really not my cup of tea the japanese RPG scene.
Resident Evil 2 - AA quality at best, remake, played the demo, wasn't impressed.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - overhyped AA game, when something is this hyped it never lives up to the expectation.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - looking forward to playing the campaign but Cod is still MP first, it's a miracle it still has an SP campaign, I hope it will be good, but I don't expect more than 5-6 hours.
Death Stranding - PS4 + you can drive me out of this world with Kojima aka. the self infatuation junkie.
The Outer Worlds - Looking forward to trying it, I don'T expect much, it will be more buggy than metro exodus, and has worse production quality definitely not AAA, but AA, maybe A+.
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) - I heard so much of this game and none of it was good. I'm really not looking forward to it. Maybe after a discount.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - This is a blank slate for me. I really don't expect much, definitely not a day one purchase, will wait for reviews and feedback.

There were two games I was looking forward to this year: Ghost Recon Breakpoint (we know how that turned out) and Modern Warfare. The only game I'm willing to try despite console exclusivity is TLOU2.

Control - Epic exclusive
Days Gone - PS4
Devil May Cry 5 - Based on the gameplay trailer this is really not a game for me with repetitive bullet sponge madness, besides I'm really not a fan of japanese manga/anime style games.
Greedfall - not AAA, but AA - was on the fence with this one, but seems pretty meh
Kingdom Hearts III PS4/XBOX
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (if you missed it because console) Really not my cup of tea the japanese RPG scene.
Resident Evil 2 - AA quality at best, remake, played the demo, wasn't impressed.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - overhyped AA game, when something is this hyped it never lives up to the expectation.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - looking forward to playing the campaign but Cod is still MP first, it's a miracle it still has an SP campaign, I hope it will be good, but I don't expect more than 5-6 hours.
Death Stranding - PS4 + you can drive me out of this world with Kojima aka. the self infatuation junkie.
The Outer Worlds - Looking forward to trying it, I don'T expect much, it will be more buggy than metro exodus, and has worse production quality definitely not AAA, but AA, maybe A+.
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) - I heard so much of this game and none of it was good. I'm really not looking forward to it. Maybe after a discount.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - This is a blank slate for me. I really don't expect much, definitely not a day one purchase, will wait for reviews and feedback.

There were two games I was looking forward to this year: Ghost Recon Breakpoint (we know how that turned out) and Modern Warfare. The only game I'm willing to try despite console exclusivity is TLOU2.

Not every game is for everyone. It's all up to your taste and what you play on.

I own a PS4 and PC, and play a lot more PS4 games than PC games, because the PC hasn't had as good of singleplayer games as the PS4 lately. Sure, it's had a few, but most of what I want to play is put out on the PS4.

No

Good single player games come out all the time and tons of people play them. But after a few weeks everyone has finished the game and no one talks about it anymore.

Good multiplayer games get played for years so everyone talks about them for years.

No

Good single player games come out all the time and tons of people play them. But after a few weeks everyone has finished the game and no one talks about it anymore.
You're describing mediocre single player games there. Those are run trough once and forget. The real great ones you can play and re-play for years. For example I'm still playing XCOM2 as much if not more than when it came out. People still talk about and play skyrim, or the witcher 3.

I finished Mass Effect 1-2 more than a dozen times, over the course of 4-5 years. I even finished ME3 at least 3 times. I played.GTA3,4,5 way beyond finishing their story.
I re-played Ghost Recon Wildlands multiple times. In a twist of irony Wildlands might be the last great single player game I enjoyed.

So don't tell me a good single player game is only good for a few weeks.

Speaking of shit posting....:rolleyes:

Sorry, I had just found out almost none of my VR games run in Linux. Neither does Steam Theather Mode. I was so looking forward to this past weekend :/

Check out this list: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019

I'll give you that there aren't plenty of AAA single player games on there but it's not like there are more AAA MP games, either. I still maintain there are more high profile SP games being released

Metro, Life is Strange, Red Dead Redemption, plenty of lower profile games that are predominantly SP, meaning story telling

What are you looking for and how recent?

Lets see, and this isn't a complete list.

Upcoming (I always advocate waiting for reviews):
Outerworlds
Mechwarrior 5
Death Standing (not my cup o tea)
The Last of Us 2
Yakuza 5
Gods & monsters
Doom Eternal
Cyberpunk 2077

Out now (in no order):
Horizon ZD
Spiderman PS4
RDR 2
GTA5
Northgard
Metro Exodus
Void Bastards
Children of Morta
Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds
Noita
Factorio
Remnant: From the Ashes
Divinity Original Sin 1&2
Endless Legend
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Shadows: Awakening
Assassins Creed Oddessy and Origin
Borderlands 3
Control
Sekiro
Deus Ex: MKD
Battletech
Kenshi
Ion Fury
Wolfenstein: TNO
Doom 2016
Pillars of Eternity II
Prey
Starpoint Gemini
X4
Stellaris
Witcher 3
Subnautica
Watch Dogs 2
The Surge 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Monster Hunter World
Total War series
Hearts of Iron Series
Crusader Kings Series
Steel Division/Wargame Series
Asgard's Wrath (VR)

My library is so full of single player games I'll never every play them all.

Not really. The games that make the most profit tend to be MP games. This isn't bad, I do like PvP games myself but lets not pretend there is a huge glut of story based games. And single player doesn't automatically equal story driven. A lot of games these days may be single player, or offer single player modes (that are intended for co-op, see The Division or Destiny). While they may have a very minimal setting there is no real story. They also tend to be open world and formed more after MP style with many set pieces and more repetitive actions.

Now yes, there are certainly some SP, story driven games. Control, Metro Exodus and Gears of War 5 come to mind. But the number is certainly thinning. Someone noted that Sony still seems to heavily invest in story driven games and I do suppose that is true.

Topic was number of games, not profit. Look, I am not saying 9 of 10 games are story driven AAA games. But the MP list is smaller. It really is. Guess we're all dinosaurs

Check out this list: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019

I'll give you that there aren't plenty of AAA single player games on there but it's not like there are more AAA MP games, either. I still maintain there are more high profile SP games being released

Metro, Life is Strange, Red Dead Redemption, plenty of lower profile games that are predominantly SP, meaning story telling
It isn't really the numbers, it's the trend
Mass Effect -> Anthem,
Ghost Recon -> Break Point,.
Fallout -> Fallout 76,
Elder Scrolls-> Elder Scrolls Online,
Call of Duty -> Black Ops IV

Even if a game can be played solo it has looter shooter elements, bullet sponge and live service crammed into it. I want a complete experience when I buy a game, and not pay $60 to unlock a store where I need to pay to get access to things that I used to take for granted.

And I blame free to play and MP games for infecting paid SP games with microtransactions galore.

Topic was number of games, not profit. Look, I am not saying 9 of 10 games are story driven AAA games. But the MP list is smaller. It really is. Guess we're all dinosaurs

Well you did say "the biggest" which can be interpreted in sales, profits and player numbers.

What are you looking for and how recent?

Lets see, and this isn't a complete list.

Upcoming (I always advocate waiting for reviews):
Outerworlds
Mechwarrior 5
Death Standing (not my cup o tea)
The Last of Us 2
Yakuza 5
Gods & monsters
Doom Eternal
Cyberpunk 2077

Out now (in no order):
Horizon ZD
Spiderman PS4
RDR 2
GTA5
Northgard
Metro Exodus
Void Bastards
Children of Morta
Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds
Noita
Factorio
Remnant: From the Ashes
Divinity Original Sin 1&2
Endless Legend
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Shadows: Awakening
Assassins Creed Oddessy and Origin
Borderlands 3
Control
Sekiro
Deus Ex: MKD
Battletech
Kenshi
Ion Fury
Wolfenstein: TNO
Doom 2016
Pillars of Eternity II
Prey
Starpoint Gemini
X4
Stellaris
Witcher 3
Subnautica
Watch Dogs 2
The Surge 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Monster Hunter World
Total War series
Hearts of Iron Series
Crusader Kings Series
Steel Division/Wargame Series
Asgard's Wrath (VR)

My library is so full of single player games I'll never every play them all.

While a big list, a lot of those games aren't heavily story driven and some of them are over 3 years old like Doom.

Back