Is it just me, or do we need another contest around here?

I'd say yes! :D

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

There are no women on the team so no one needs to worry about getting nekkid, marty.

How about 'Is marty smarter than a fifth grader?' or even 'Are you smarter than marty?'

You bring this up a lot. Care to tell us something?:p

I'll care to do that.
marty_jock.png

My vote
Marty is smarter than a 5th grader
I'm probably not smarter than Marty
Marty knows how and loves to be a pain in the a$$ (most of the time)

I would vote that Marty is a 5th grader that is probably smarter than me..(aren't most 5th graders these days)

Need to split the [H]ard DCer of the Month in to two categories.... an upper and a lower (maybe 1mil+ points and 100k+ points?)

Old people keep the old title "[H]ard DCer of the Month - ____" and have the two titles per month thing. Up-and-comers should get recognized too! (People who started folding small, then borged a small army but still have 250k to their name, that kind of thing.)

Or maybe [H]ard DCer.... and [H]ard Borger? [H]ard PPDer? I'm thinking titles are fun so stick with that (unless you got some hardware sitting around to give away???) :p

Someone say [H]ard DCer of the Quarter? ...or [H]ard DCer of the Season? Could get sponsors like "Pepsi's [H]ard DCer of the Year" or "ATI's [H]ard DCer of the Year"...?

There's ENDLESS potential with titles! :)

Need to split the [H]ard DCer of the Month in to two categories.... an upper and a lower (maybe 1mil+ points and 100k+ points?)

Old people keep the old title "[H]ard DCer of the Month - ____" and have the two titles per month thing. Up-and-comers should get recognized too! (People who started folding small, then borged a small army but still have 250k to their name, that kind of thing.)

Or maybe [H]ard DCer.... and [H]ard Borger? [H]ard PPDer? I'm thinking titles are fun so stick with that (unless you got some hardware sitting around to give away???) :p

Someone say [H]ard DCer of the Quarter? ...or [H]ard DCer of the Season? Could get sponsors like "Pepsi's [H]ard DCer of the Year" or "ATI's [H]ard DCer of the Year"...?

There's ENDLESS potential with titles! :)

1176838526423.gif

1176857845213.jpg

I agree, I said this last month I believe it was about about Hard Dc'r awards.

I agree as well... The [H]ard DCer of the month is a bit meaningless. We don't see what special he did to get this title.

I agree as well... The [H]ard DCer of the month is a bit meaningless. We don't see what special he did to get this title.

Thats what the nomination and vote threads are for.... lots of good information in there about what people have done in the form of contributions and whatnot. Anyhow, its a good excuse to get to know the fellow folders. ;)

Anyhow, we need some contest ideas... something new that we've not done before. :D

p[H]ant0m;1030932068 said:
Thats what the nomination and vote threads are for.... lots of good information in there about what people have done in the form of contributions and whatnot. Anyhow, its a good excuse to get to know the fellow folders. ;)

Anyhow, we need some contest ideas... something new that we've not done before. :D

I've an idea... PM is on the way.

I've been working on this since someone posted in the last thread about this, a poker challenge.

Entrants are broken into Rooms and Tables;
Rooms,
#1 1 to 100,000 points
#2 100,001 to 250,000 points
#3 250,001 to 500,000 points
#4 500,001 to 750,000 points
#5 750,001 to 1,000,000 points
#6 1,000,001 to 2,500,000 points
#7 2,500,001 and above

Each room can be broken down into Tables of 6 players, so if room #3 has 11 entrants there would be table A and Table B, with table B only having 5 players.

your cards are taken from your weekly total from [H]ardfolding.com and then you draw cards to make a total of 7 Cards. Example

My total from last week was 19,216,
so I would have A,9,2,A,6

the drawn cards would be 5118955
so thats 5,A,A,8,9,5,5

as I already have 5 cards I would only get the needed 2 in the order drawn, 5,A
so my cards would be A,9,2,A,6,5,A
discarding the most worthless 2 and my hand would be, A,A,A,9,6
three aces and 9 high.

Entrants must enter in contest at begining to play,
entrants must do their own hands,
entrants must submit hands to scorekeeper, with the following information
Name contestantfolds under, Carl_Somerton not racercarl
Room and Table Number
Date of Week of hand
Personnal score
Team Score
Hand played
If you miss a week you have folded your hand for that week,

Scoring can be done on a spread sheet, using room and table number, name, and hand. winner for the week,

after a couple of weeks the winners advance to play against the rest of the room, then they advance to play the winners from the other rooms, for the final winner.

Or we can just pair all the entrants off and each pair plays three weeks, the winner advances, three more weeks and then again, and again, until only one is left.

example week of 4-8-07

FLECOM 727,069 7,2,7,0,6,9, plus one card, 5 is first drawn, 7,2,7,0,6,9,5,
ends up with a pair of seven's 10 high
Connundrum1 12,154 A,2,A,5,4 plus 2 cards, 5,A are first two drawn A,2,A,5,4,5,A
Full house aces over 5's
Fenton06 6112 6,A,A,2 plus 3 cards, 5,A,A, are the first three drawn 6,A,A,2,5,A,A,
four aces and a 6
the next week will be a totally different set of hands

Been knocking it around, what do you all think,

I've been working on this since someone posted in the last thread about this, a poker challenge.

Entrants are broken into Rooms and Tables;
Rooms,
#1 1 to 100,000 points
#2 100,001 to 250,000 points
#3 250,001 to 500,000 points
#4 500,001 to 750,000 points
#5 750,001 to 1,000,000 points
#6 1,000,001 to 2,500,000 points
#7 2,500,001 and above

Each room can be broken down into Tables of 6 players, so if room #3 has 11 entrants there would be table A and Table B, with table B only having 5 players.

your cards are taken from your weekly total from [H]ardfolding.com and then you draw cards to make a total of 7 Cards. Example

My total from last week was 19,216,
so I would have A,9,2,A,6

the drawn cards would be 5118955
so thats 5,A,A,8,9,5,5

as I already have 5 cards I would only get the needed 2 in the order drawn, 5,A
so my cards would be A,9,2,A,6,5,A
discarding the most worthless 2 and my hand would be, A,A,A,9,6
three aces and 9 high.

Room and Table Number
Date of Week of hand
Personnal score
Team Score
Hand played
If you miss a week you have folded your hand for that week,

Scoring can be done on a spread sheet, using room and table number, name, and hand. winner for the week,

after a couple of weeks the winners advance to play against the rest of the room, then they advance to play the winners from the other rooms, for the final winner.

Or we can just pair all the entrants off and each pair plays three weeks, the winner advances, three more weeks and then again, and again, until only one is left.

example week of 4-8-07

FLECOM 727,069 7,2,7,0,6,9, plus one card, 5 is first drawn, 7,2,7,0,6,9,5,
ends up with a pair of seven's 10 high
Connundrum1 12,154 A,2,A,5,4 plus 2 cards, 5,A are first two drawn A,2,A,5,4,5,A
Full house aces over 5's
Fenton06 6112 6,A,A,2 plus 3 cards, 5,A,A, are the first three drawn 6,A,A,2,5,A,A,
four aces and a 6
the next week will be a totally different set of hands

Been knocking it around, what do you all think,

1176857845213.jpg

Now go and get me a bottle of Advils:confused: :rolleyes:

How about some sort of sub-team contest? Have everyone sign up and randomly select a certain amount of people on each sub-team and have the teams compete in a WU and points race with the number a WUs contributing 65% (something like the horde bowl) and points counting as 35%. That would keep people/teams running SMP boxes from running away with it.

If we have 10 teams, then points could be distributed top team in WUs get 10*.65 on down to bottom team getting 1*.65 and then for points top team gets 10*.35 on down to bottom team getting 1*.35. Talley the points daily and have the contest go for a few weeks to a month. Winning team members get prizes.

How about some sort of sub-team contest? Have everyone sign up and randomly select a certain amount of people on each sub-team and have the teams compete in a WU and points race with the number a WUs contributing 65% (something like the horde bowl) and points counting as 35%. That would keep people/teams running SMP boxes from running away with it.

If we have 10 teams, then points could be distributed top team in WUs get 10*.65 on down to bottom team getting 1*.65 and then for points top team gets 10*.35 on down to bottom team getting 1*.35. Talley the points daily and have the contest go for a few weeks to a month. Winning team members get prizes.

Question for you, teams can get stacked quite easily, so who'll decide who is in which team? Elsewise it's pretty good idea. that could work.

Edit: I'm stupid, randomly selected duh, like you have stated.

Example would be like this:

Team 1:
Total Points - 9340
Total WUs - 6

9340 * .35 = 3269
6 * .65 = 3.9
Total for the day = 3272.9

Team 2:
Total Points - 2000
Total WUs - 50

2000 * .35 = 700
50 * .65 = 32.5
Total for the day = 732.5

I suppose it's possible but it'll be totally skewed as you see more points means a lot more than the WU according to your distribution of scoring. But it's an idea.

could just take all the people that sign up, put names in a hat and draw. That's random and if it get's stacked it's pure luck of the draw

Question for you, teams can get stacked quite easily, so who'll decide who is in which team? Elsewise it's pretty good idea. that could work.

Edit: I'm stupid, randomly selected duh, like you have stated.

Example would be like this:

Team 1:
Total Points - 9340
Total WUs - 6

9340 * .35 = 3269
6 * .65 = 3.9
Total for the day = 3272.9

Team 2:
Total Points - 2000
Total WUs - 50

2000 * .35 = 700
50 * .65 = 32.5
Total for the day = 732.5

I suppose it's possible but it'll be totally skewed as you see more points means a lot more than the WU according to your distribution of scoring. But it's an idea.

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Say team 1 is top team in points out of 10 teams but they are in last place in WUs

Team 2 is last in points, but first in WUs out of the 10 teams

Team 1
10 * .35 = 3.5
1 * .65 = .65
total for day = 4.15

Team 2
1 * .35 = .35
10 * .65 = 6.5
total for day = 6.85

Let it go for 14 to 28 days and I imagine it will be pretty close amongst 10 teams

Most points you could get in a day is to come in first in points and wu's and that would net you 10 points total, least you could have is 1 point by coming in last in both with the other 8 teams distributed between. Most likely though, teams won't come in first place in both categories because of things like the SMP client, they may make a lot of points, but will be down in WUs.

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Say team 1 is top team in points out of 10 teams but they are in last place in WUs

Team 2 is last in points, but first in WUs out of the 10 teams

Team 1
10 * .35 = 3.5
1 * .65 = .65
total for day = 4.15

Team 2
1 * .35 = .35
10 * .65 = 6.5
total for day = 6.85

Let it go for 14 to 28 days and I imagine it will be pretty close amongst 10 teams

Oh thanks for clearing that up for me. I got it now. I can see how that would work really. That's quite brilliant.
1176857845213.jpg

We appreciate all the ideas guys. Some good stuff here. As of right now, there is one idea I really like, which is not in this thread. Jon came up with something that has been discussed via PM, and quite frankly, I love the idea. However, I don't know if it will come to light or not. First and foremost, Moose, p[H], and myself will need to discuss it, and I will have to try and sell them on it. If I can get so lucky, there would be a lot of prep work to figure out, but it could turn into an incredibly unique and fun contest, that is completly fair to everyone no matter where they stand or how much they produce. I won't say more, unless the idea comes to light, but I have high hopes for this one, so stay tuned.

However, feel free to keep tossing around ideas. Whether we go with this or not, it certainly won't be the last contest.

We appreciate all the ideas guys. Some good stuff here. As of right now, there is one idea I really like, which is not in this thread. Jon came up with something that has been discussed via PM, and quite frankly, I love the idea. However, I don't know if it will come to light or not. First and foremost, Moose, p[H], and myself will need to discuss it, and I will have to try and sell them on it. If I can get so lucky, there would be a lot of prep work to figure out, but it could turn into an incredibly unique and fun contest, that is completly fair to everyone no matter where they stand or how much they produce. I won't say more, unless the idea comes to light, but I have high hopes for this one, so stay tuned.

However, feel free to keep tossing around ideas. Whether we go with this or not, it certainly won't be the last contest.
It does seem like a good idea.

I like the poker idea as well but the scoring is a tad bit confusing to me. :(

It does seem like a good idea.

I like the poker idea as well but the scoring is a tad bit confusing to me. :(

No game is fun unless it has a complicated, over-the-top and clearly complex rules system that is administered by a heavy-handed, biased and clearly bribed officiate. :)

[...]

I think that this type of contest needs some software to do the hands automagically. how are the additional cards drawn? I think a little piece of web-based software can work magic on that contest and make it much more enjoyable for all players.

Sorry, I forgot the drawn cards are taken from the weekly team points

does that help,

:eek:

Back