Is it hard to find a decently priced 2TB HGST/Hitachi drive or am I just looking in the wrong places

From my experience, HGST/Hitachi seems to be the most reliable type of drive out of the very very very few left out there (although I heard that Toshiba are second place now... never even considered Toshiba drives before, Is that true?. I thought they were just re-branded drives.) However, I have been having trouble finding a decently priced one.

When I search for them on Amazon or Newegg I get many results that are about the same price as other brands... but from sketchy resellers, several of which have had a few complaints about shipping used and/or refurbished drives as new. And when I tell Newegg to only show drives being sold by them... the price jumps to about 2x to 3x what other brand's drives cost. Oddly, the 4TB ones seem to be about the same price as others, but not 2 or 3TB.

Haven't had much luck searching through brick-and-mortar stores either, they either don't carry them at all, or they are also priced just as high.

Am I just searching wrong, or are these really just hard to find? My intention is to stick it in an enclosure to "build" basically an external drive for backup and just moving mass amounts of data, and I wanted a quality one, since most of the external drives you can flat out buy are both low-spec and low-quality... unless you want to pay more than what it would cost to basically assemble your own from a drive and enclosure. Sure, this means I will likely need to use a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 drive, but at least that means I can get a 7200RPM model for much much less than a 2.5 7200RPM model would cost. Most of the good enclosures aren't 2.5 inch only anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I understand your pain. We can't even get a discount on any of the HGST drives and I work there. The employee store only has WD and Sandisk products for the most part.

Most of the Deskstar line seems to be unavailable. HGST might be coming out with a new line or discontinuing the lower end line of drives. (Maybe Gronnie has some insight). But most of the enterprise/nas class drives still seem to be available.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?sts=ma&N=0&Ntt=HGST&

Thats probably why your having a hard time finding the lower end drives.

I expect that HGST is no longer producing these.

With that said I still have lots of these in production. Only 1 has failed out of dozens. I guess 2 if you count the DOA drive.

guys he is talking about a laptop drive not desktop... biggest i can find is 1tb... My suggestion is go ahead grab a seagate one they seem to be better than they used to be you can get a firecuda 2.5" 2tb for 89....

Not that it helps but HGST drives have gone out of stock in most of SE Asia recently. I lucked out and got 2x 3TB, but can't find them at all anymore.

Toshiba's are good too, but they are rate too now.

Not that it helps but HGST drives have gone out of stock in most of SE Asia recently. I lucked out and got 2x 3TB, but can't find them at all anymore.

Toshiba's are good too, but they are rate too now.

Hate to bump this old thread, but there's still some refurb HGST 2 and maybe 3 tb drives at newegg. The price is a higher than when I've bought them. I've had zero issues with them

Here's an older, cheaper model with only 32 mb cache https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...9SwNdwCJzkWiYwvAaxRoCPQ4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And I think this is what I have 3 or 4 of https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z4-001J-00353

I'm pretty sure this is the newegg seller I bought from. Here's a reasonable $59.95 price on a 3 Tb drive. I think that's the same as I paid for one several months ago. Oops, no need for link, same drive even cheaper at ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ul...-Hard-Drive-/172778221894?hash=item283a627146

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back