Is it dead? X79 SLI on - off cycling

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Here is a video of the problem.

Press the power button and it just cycles on and off.

Motherboard was working great before I change out my video cards (980 -> 970 downgrade). I did get a little bit of water on the pcb, but it was just a tad, which was quickly cleaned up. I also waited ~12 hours before trying to turn it on.

Motherboard problem? PSU problem? Wiring problem? Would love some thoughts. :confused:

Remove the video card from the PCIe slot (and also disconnect power from the card too) and try to power on the system. If the problem goes away you either:

a) have a bad video card
b) your power supply is going the way of the dodo bird
c) something is shorting out on the card
d) there's liquid on the PCIe connector.

Remove the video card from the PCIe slot (and also disconnect power from the card too) and try to power on the system. If the problem goes away you either:

a) have a bad video card
b) your power supply is going the way of the dodo bird
c) something is shorting out on the card
d) there's liquid on the PCIe connector.

Problem didn't go away ;(

Recheck all power connections. Everything looks good. Resetting CMOS didn't do anything either.

In the world of electronics, if it looks good and it doesn't work? It's broken.

Did you unplug the PCI-E wires on both ends? Check PSU connections on ALL wires.

I'm going to do that again before pulling it apart.

I'm pretty sure its not the psu. Pulled the mobo power and jumped the psu and it ran all the accessories fine.

Something is definitely tripping. As soon as power is kicks on, you can hear the tick sound and then it goes off. Then it does it again.

yeah, sounds like a PSU issue. Maybe one of the cables got stripped or is touching another shorting it out.

Maybe, maybe, it's your motherboard. When it comes to video cards and PSU, eVGA makes some great outstanding products out of those two, but when it comes to MoBo? They're not really well known for making such amazing ones and as far as their reputation for making MoBo goes, I remember the nForce days.

So......something got screwed along the way when replacing your video cards that the MoBo couldn't take it.

Yeah I've had a really bad run with evga motherboard. I'm on my fourth one and I've had problems with everyone.

strip it out of the case and assemble on the bench in absolute minimal configuration

report back

strip it out of the case and assemble on the bench in absolute minimal configuration

report back

It's a short.

Changed the PSU out and had only the CPU power and Motherboard power left. Still cant get it to try to post. Will "click" whenever I go to boot it.

My best guess is that I shorted the board. Everything was working before I pulled the computer apart and the only thing that has changed was the GPU. Thankfully, it was only a $50 motherboard. Learned my lesson. Need to be more careful next time.

Is there anything that you can use to plug your tubing whenever you are pulling it apart?

yeah water bad, had some experience losing a loop all over a mobo. Put it in the oven and prayed that it would magically work and nope, luckily still manged to salvage everything except the mobo, lesson learnt i guess.

Back