Is it better to have one really powerful NAS to do more than one thing or have multiple NAS devices with each one doing one task dedicated to it?

I found this.

It looks like the Synology 220+ can do as much as the higher level models with hardware accelerated transcoding. Is hardware transcoding for plex, emby, or jellyfin already setup for me on the NAS or is it difficult/challenging to setup ?

Not sure if I will need more than the two 220+ because only one person will use each one mainly. Sometimes remotely but rare. Hmmm

Synology has an app store much line google/apple stores. You can install that version of Plex Media server or go directly to Plex's site and download latest and greatest version for Synology NAS systems. To take advantage of hardware transcoding requires an active Plex Pass subscription. You can buy lifetime for $150 i think?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

I got a NAS that can do everything for me. NAS duties, Backups, Plex, docker containers. I run Pihole for DNS.

I have the DS918+ with roughly 25TB in use.

A single NAS is a better setup for most people. Setting up multiple Synology NAS boxes, registering accounts and doing many basic things twice would be a hassle.

If you have any issue with transcoding, offload the plex server to a more powerful computer while hosting your media files on the NAS. All of the named above media programs support this feature.

Last edited:
Back