Is Isopropyl Alcohol to safe to use on Motherboard PCB?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by number69, Jan 25, 2008.

1. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

I have an old motherboard I don't use and am going to sell it. It has some dirty spots that air isn't cleaning. Is Isopropyl Alcohol(70%) safe to use on it? Will it damage the varnish? I was told that it's safe to use on motherboards and won't damage or remove any of the varnish. Is this correct? I have used it in the past on a video card I had and it didn't seem to damage anything or remove any of the varnish at all from what I recall. Just wanted to double check.

2. McCartney

McCartney Gawd

Alcohol on silicon is completely fine. Silicon is nearly bulletproof (not physically) to chemicals due to it's metalloid structure.

3. drpeppir

drpeppir Limp Gawd

Might wanna go with 90% alcohol on PCB board, what's a better solution is getting electronic contact cleaner or flux remover from fry's or similar store and spray it off, plus it dries in seconds.:cool:

4. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

I use to use 90 or 92% when cleaning boards when I had to repair them in the past. Worked great.

5. Glow

Glow [H]ardness Supreme

I got 99% I hope it does the trick

6. Zinn

Zinn Guest

Yeah I routinely use rubbing alcohol to clean electronics. It's a lot cheaper than using special electronic / contact cleaners and does the same thing.

7. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

Yea that should work fine. I usualy used 90 or 92% as I could walk to the drug store accross from where I worked and pick it up.

8. BrainEater

BrainEater Gawd

Isopropanol wont hurt anything on a motherboard :

[​IMG]

Thats actually running in 99%iso. :D

---------------------
    Don't use 70% !! make sure it's 99%.

There is one thing you don't wanna get near Iso tho , and thats anything made from lucite or plexiglass.If iso touches it , it'll be a million cracks.

9. jacob9

jacob9 n00b

is that your computer?

10. Michael Daly

Michael Daly [H]ard|Gawd

Be careful with rubbing alcohol - it may contain something other than alcohol and water; check the ingredients list.

Rubbing alcohol is usually just 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water but sometimes they include other compounds like witchhazel, oil of wintergreen and other things for massages.

I'd personally go with 99% isopropyl. It's more expensive but I don't mix water with electronics.

11. BrainEater

BrainEater Gawd

It's one of my computers....test rig basically. :D

--------------------------

Yea rubbing alcohol should be avoided...The rubbing alcohol I see is typically 70% isopropanol,25% water and 5% methanol , and it does not evaporate cleanly.

12. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

I always thought Isopropyl alcohol was conductive...apparently it's not, lol.

By the way, thanks for all the responses.

13. Oline61

Oline61 Gawd

I spilled 70% all over my motherboard while cleaning thermal grease off my northbridge one time. I waited for it to dry, reassembled everything and it still works perfectly.

14. BrainEater

BrainEater Gawd

The one thing I should probably delve in to a little ;

The various manufacturing processes involved in the building of motherboards will inevitably leave small amounts of oil / non-water-soluble compounds.

As well , every single sticker on the motherboard will come off right as rain. ;)

For these reasons ,dunk stuff twice.Once to remove , once to rinse ....

I generally use boiling Iso in the remove part... :D

15. matrix563

matrix563 [H]ard as it Gets

i've always used 91% to clean cpu's and gpu paste off. never any issues :)

16. Michael Daly

Michael Daly [H]ard|Gawd

FWIW, IBM's board cleaning technology (in their board making facilities) is water based (converted from CFC-based years ago). If the other manufacturing processes use water-soluble materials (fluxes etc) then everything literally comes out in the wash. The waste water is relatively easy to clean up and reuse.

It might be worthwhile finding out what the major Taiwanese manufacturers are using and that might mean that water (distilled, not tap) would work fine for most clean up provided you do a proper job of drying the board afterwards. Water will work fine on lots of spills like cola, coffee and stuff. Oils can be cleaned with soap (not detergent) in water. Not sure about stuff like CPU thermal goop or your kid stuffing Play-doh into the computer case.

17. BrainEater

BrainEater Gawd

That's a good point.

From what I've read , nearly all board makers use the water systems now.

-------------

On a side note ; Isopropanol dissolves most themal compounds.Make damn sure you remove it before soaking anything in iso.Especially arctic silver.you do not want a thin coat of semiconductive film all over the mobo. ;)

18. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

I use 99% ISO that I buy form the pharmacy in walmart to clean off TIM from my CPU and to clean contacts as it works very well and evaporates in seconds.

I just dip a Q-Tip in the bottle and use that to clean, that or I put some on a coffee filter both work well.

19. anime4u

anime4u [H]ard|Gawd

Wow that is a great way to show 99% isopropyl alcohol is safe to use! :eek:

20. killingfield1975

killingfield1975 Gawd

talk about extreme liquid cooling :p

what would be funny is if there was a spark and the whole thing went up in flames. dude you fried your board!

21. category_five

category_five Limp Gawd

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014