euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
I use 8GB of 3200mhz Patriot DDR4 on an Asus B250M. I got the sticks on a great deal last year, before I bought the motherboard - which only supports up to 2400hz anyway (originally I was going to do a Ryzen build, but ended up with a KBL).

When I set XMP to 2400, while the system works perfectly well, it always has trouble waking up from sleep or hibernation (as in, it'll try, fail, and reboot my system). To avoid this, I disable XMP running the memory at 2133mhz and then I have zero problems.

I'm wondering, is this normal? The Asus board certainly supports my sticks at 2400mhz (checked the QVL) so unless XMP is inherently finicky, I'm at a loss. In fact, I'm looking for an additional 8GB from Patriot for the remaining 2 empty slots in my board whenever prices stabilize, and I'll probably just buy 2133mhz sticks as there's no point paying more if it doesn't work for me.

Have you tried raising a little the voltage on those (stay on the safe side please) ? Any BIOs update for the mobo ?

Have you tried raising a little the voltage on those (stay on the safe side please) ? Any BIOs update for the mobo ?

I'm on the latest BIOS update for sure. I have not raised voltage at all, as I have careful respect towards overclocking... I like my PC parts to last 3 years before needing an update, so I tend to leave them at stock. Out of curiosity, what would be a safe voltage raise?

If you are SURE that your exact model of RAM is on Asus' list for that board, then I would see about an RMA for the board or for the RAM. The trouble is deciding which. You may have to contact tech support for both.

If you RAM actually isn't specifically on the list:
In my experience, Asus boards seem to be a little more picky about memory brands, than some other motherboard brands. If you are on the latest bios, then you may not have a lot of room.

I have some Team brand DDR4 3000 with tight "15" timings, which would not XMP on my Asus board. But would XMP just fine, on other boards. And I could not get the RAM to manually clock up to DDR4 3000, on the Asus board. Even with very relaxed, slower timings. The board and RAM were just not totally compatible.

But, two bios releases later: the RAM works perfectly under XMP on the Asus board. And the other day I even set it to DDR4 3200 and it has been perfect. Timings still tight. No extra voltage or tweaks needed.

Try setting the timings/speeds manually and see if you have the same issues. If you do, then RMA the memory as it isn't performing at its rated timings and speeds. XMP is just way to set the timings, speeds, and voltage without guessing your bios settings. Realistically, there is no reason why your 3200mhz RAM won't run at 2400mhz. Is there a separate setting for 2400mhz XMP on your board? Probably should have just gotten a "Z" motherboard or cheaper memory (unless you got a deal on the memory).

I'm on the latest BIOS update for sure. I have not raised voltage at all, as I have careful respect towards overclocking... I like my PC parts to last 3 years before needing an update, so I tend to leave them at stock. Out of curiosity, what would be a safe voltage raise?

To be 100% honest I do not know what your sticks runs at and what is safe but I would assume the first and second +x V is safe.
fyi, my 2500K has been running for the last 6~7 years at 4.4GHz overclock and no issue whatsoever [and still going strong] ... ran my GPUs undervolted and OCed while mining 3 years ago and they are all still going strong.

The key is good PSU (very good & reliable), proper venting & cooling. With that you should be able to sustain normal OCing. Also, maintenance & cleaning + ESD safe environment when doing so !
Keep in mind that most electronics these years are build for one size fits all per say (some will perform better but SKU sets frequency to X) to optimize yields. Some even cherry pick to create more expensive SKU...

^what are you rambling aboot?!

OP do what kirby and mitch said, set timings manually and bump the ram voltage a bit. if it still doesn work youll prob need something off the mobo QVL.

Thanks all! I'll investigate. I'm not too worried as I got this memory super cheap when they were fluctuating like crazy last year before the upward pricing trend. If I end up using it at 2133 it's not the end of the world, as I paid $48 for it when 2400mhz 8gb stick pairs were already up to $55 and $60. Should've bought 4 sticks back then, had I known!

Back