Is International Parcel Forwarding safe for a Seller?

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
I have received an offer for items that I have listed for sale. However, buyer stated that he is out of USA (South Albatna, Oman) and wants me to forward to a shipping service in New Jersey. Buyer has 15 Heatware and hundreds of eBay feedback and and seems legit. I have never heard of Parcel Forwarding before. Is it safe for a Seller? What are the common scams of using such a Service? I am leaning toward selling it if there is no major red flag...

The use of a parcel forwarding company is a bit of a red flag for me. Paypal will only protect you to the point of where the package arrives (which is the parcel forwarder address), and not where the parcel forwarder will be ultimately sending it. So if the parcel forwarder "loses" the package, the buyer can then ask you "where is my package" and open a claim. Here's some reading on Paypal's page on seller's protection:

You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#s3-seller-protection

If it were me, and I just really wanted to sell to this guy for some reason, I'd demand the following:

1. I dictate what shipping method that is used to deliver to the buyer
2. The buyer pays for the privilege of me shipping internationally

I actually had a transaction on this very forum following 1 and 2 (selling a launch day PS3 w/ the emotion engine to a lad in Australia), and the buyer readily agreed to all terms. In that case, the buyer recognized the unusualness of the request, but his zeal for having a rare PS3 (especially where he lived) made the terms acceptable to him. We worked together to find something that was both a reasonable shipping price and with a service I felt safe using. All worked out in the end.

If they're telling you how to ship something you're selling, and it involves a third party, then you're most likely going to lose both your item AND your money.
Have them Western Union you the money. That would be safe, right?

^^^ thats the ONLY way i'd ever consider doing it. cash in hand first then i'll ship it through your shady 3rd party crap.

Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and have a question- what if the PayPal shipping address is to the parcel forwarder? Would that give me the protection because then the package has been delivered to the “destination”?

Edit: Also forgot to ask - how does Western Union work? Do I need to provide him with any personal information?

Last edited:
how does Western Union work? Do I need to provide him with any personal information?
just name and location(city). then you go and show id to pick it up. or use the online version. just insist on money up front.

Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and have a question- what if the PayPal shipping address is to the parcel forwarder? Would that give me the protection because then the package has been delivered to the “destination”?

Edit: Also forgot to ask - how does Western Union work? Do I need to provide him with any personal information?

The Western Union comment was a joke. Anyone requesting a western union money order online is scamming you.

PayPal cares if the buyer received what they payed for. If you ship to a parcel forwarder, and it doesn’t arrive at the buyers true location, PayPal considers itself being removed from liability as you willingly redirected liability to the 3rd party. It would then say ‘sorry but you need to contact the shipping forwarder’. Does that make sense?

It's not a scam and is fairly common. I've shipped tons of stuff to freight forwarders with no issues. The buyer should have it as a confirmed address in PayPal, so you're set (you shouldn't ship to an unconfirmed address, freight forwarding or not). Your liability ends once the package is delivered there and you will not be responsible if the forwarder loses it, contrary to what has been posted.

I actually prefer it often times as you are far less likely to have returns. The buyer would need to spend a lot of money to ship the item back to you from overseas and it's often not worth it for them. I've only had one return and it was uneventful.

I just did a transaction with a Parcel Forwarding service. In my case though, it was paid for in crypto instead of Paypal, so if something gets screwed up, and I can verify that I did everything asked of me, and the package was delivered to the forwarder, the buyer is SOL in my mind. I don't mean that negatively as in I don't try to take care of things when there is a problem, but if my package arrives at the forwarder, it's on the buyer and whatever service the buyer pays to ensure delivery from there.

If I were using a forwarder I'm not sure I'd even bother telling the seller. I agree with the others - ship to the PayPal confirmed address just like you always would. Where it does or doesn't go from there isn't your problem.

If I were using a forwarder I'm not sure I'd even bother telling the seller. I agree with the others - ship to the PayPal confirmed address just like you always would. Where it does or doesn't go from there isn't your problem.

Sometimes, it's pretty obvious. In my case, I had to put an "ID number" in front of the name so the forwarder knew whose package it was. Also, if you Google the address it will tell you (good idea when sending high dollar items).

No, it got moved into my Synology NAS
Have them Western Union you the money. That would be safe, right?

I used accept and send USPS Money Orders, 99% domestic. For stuff like this buyer is requesting, you can get the money order first if he sends it, cash it at the post office, and comfortably ship the items out.
Heck, I would cash the money order at the post office first and then buy the postage for the packing with the cash; the clerk understood what I was doing and verified the money order in the system prior to cashing.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

https://www.usps.com/international/money-transfers.htm

However, things are different at this time all over the world. If Japan is having issues with the USPS, then all bets are off.
Capture.JPG

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I learned a few things now. In general I believe it is still safe to ship to a parcel forwarder, as long as the address of the forwarder is the same as the buyer.

That said, I sent a PM to the potential buyer asking if 1) the address on his PayPal is the same as the Parcel Forwarder, and 2) if it is the same, does that mean my liability of selling/delivering the product ends when the package is delivered to that address. I have not heard back from the him for 3 days now and I have decided not to sell it to him regardless. I think the answer is probably No to Question #1 so I probably scare him off. Good though, as less hassle for me.

There is no reason why your responsibility shouldn't end when the package is received by the forwarder. It's their responsibility from there. Hopefully most people realize this, but you never know.

Back