Is HDR broken in Frostbite games (Battlefield 1/5/etc) for anybody else? Think Windows 11 may have broken HDR for older games

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
A bit of a random question, but since I know a lot of people here have an HDR display I figured this would be a good place to ask:

Can any of you try booting up Battlefield 1 or Battlefield 5 in HDR? Then hit ~ to bring up the console, and type
Code:
render.DrawScreenInfo 1
and see if HDR is listed as enabled or disabled?

Also, what GPU/OS are you on?

I'm wondering if Windows 11 HDR updates might have broken compatibility with older games. So far these (slightly) older Frostbite games are the only games I can't get HDR working on.

They work just fine on DX11/12, Windows 11, 3080/3090.
These older Frostbite games have both Dolby Vision and HDR 10 float. They look good. Not many games can be poured much money into HDR.
52392154221_6a8efae587_o_d.png

The HDR 10 tone mapping of these games is similar to HDR 10+ or Dolby Vision. The dynamic range will be uniformly toned inside the range of your monitors. It means the images will have relative float contrast and colors to each part on each frame but the APL and color volume will be affected severely if the monitor is only capable of low brightness and low color gamut.

OK thanks I didn’t understand the lingo. So I guess this must be an AMD issue. Would love to hear some results from others, especially AMD users

Back