Is having a laptop with a powerful desktop GPU constanly on safe?

Nebell

2[H]4U
So I was thinking about selling my desktop and getting a gaming laptop with either 1070 or 1080. That laptop will probably be on most of the time and not just idling but running game(s).
Considering that laptops get warmer than desktops, would this shorten its life by a lot? Is it safe or dangerous?
It won't be a cheap laptop so I don't want to kill it prematurely :)

To be honest you will be just fine. Now do you have any particular laptops in mind?

I have tested out a few of the 1070 models and right now the Alienware seems to be the best (After re-pasting the cpu and gpu). Now if you do decide to go that route make sure to get one with good warranty/support and a cooling stand.

Well, I was looking at HP Omen with 1070 for my gf. For myself it was probably going to be some custom built (with 18 months warranty) with 1080 since they are like €400-500 cheaper than branded laptops, or I'll just get a second HP Omen for myself. I game at 4k but not really demanding games, still I'd like to be able to have acceptable frame rates on games like WoW without lowering details.

These gaming laptops do not run the dedicated card all the time, they either have a physical switch that lets you choose between the dedicated and integrated or automatically switch depending on load or application running.

I run one at work. Like most companies we buy the 3 year warranty. I don't think any of ours have had a problem making 3 years. They are docked and on most of the time to allow us to remote to them when we aren't at work.

Obviously, they are very heavy!

My previous laptop was a MSI GS70 with a gf 970. I left it on all the time with no issues for 2+ years.

Back