Is Gigabytes' Ultra Durable series motherboard just a marketing name?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
What exactly is Ultra Durable series means in English? Is it just a name or does that series of motherboard really last longer (at least 3 yr.) than other brand?

Interested in this as I have one but not 100% sure what all makes them "ultra durable". I know they use better caps, chokes, and goodies like that. Also heard they are "double copper" motherboards, for what that's worth.

They are pretty reliable. My old EP45-UD3P is still going strong in a family member's computer and I also still have an x58 UD5 that I just took out of service a couple weeks ago.

I bought the EP45-UD3P new and the x58 UD5 used.

My Gigabyte P67a-UD4 motherboard is now 6 years old.
It ran 24/7 for 5 years, is now in my Dads machine and hasnt presented a single issue throughout its life.

A friend also upgraded at the same time with the same motherboard.
He gave it to his brother last year and its still working perfectly (I rebuilt his PC with it).

I'd say the name can be taken at face value.

2 cases, not really a stat to live by...

I could think back to many normal cheap low end mobo's that run after years and years and years with out issues I have built...

I believe its just their marketing, like how MSI touts "Military Class" components etc. FWIW my UD3 has had the least amount of hiccups of any board I have used..

My EX58-UD5 with japanese solid capacitors is still chugging along since 2009.

I have always used GIgabyte UD boards for everyone that I picked or built a computer for and no one has had an issue with their motherboards.

Still have two EX58-UD3Rs (Rev 1.0, Rev 1.2) chugging along 24/7/365 since ~2009.
Ran OCed i7 920 D0s since day 1, now running OCed X5650s.

I've owned 9 Gigabyte motherboards over the last 10 years. None have failed.
I ran an EX58-UD3R overclocked with a Core i7 960 until last year. I gave it to my cousin's husband and he does a lot of photo work. Still kicking and stable with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.
I'm currently using a 990XF board with a Phenom X6 1100T, an H81m-H, X79-UD3. All rock solid. The one time a handled an RMA for a friend, the process was painless.

It is a marketing name for a set of features on all boards that carry that name. It is similar to Asus's ROG series, where all ROG boards have a certain set of features that distinguishes them as ROG. Of course, thefeatures can vary from generation to generation.

my personal is running a 990xa-ud3 rev1 since 2012 no issues at all. I just got in a system to upgrade for a friend(I built it early 2012) that has a 970a-ud3 rev1 and its been running fine even with a missing vrm heatsink!?

While in Taiwan, I had a GA-MA790FX-DS5 that I bought in 2008, that was when the dual copper boards were coming out. I don't know if my board was one of those but it felt more heavier than most of the boards I handled at the time. I bought it with an Athlon X2 5800 to go with it, and then a few weeks later, an Athlon II X4 620. I was saddened to see my new X4 not being supported on the official list, so I sent an e-mail to to them and they sent me a new BIOS the next day (new BIOS wasn't even on their website). Wow, that's pretty good service.

A few months before that board, I had a Gigabyte 4870 512MB that burned out from an Arctic Accelero cooler, fan and software controller wouldn't agree and the fan didn't run at all. Went to a Gigabyte service center to have it RMA'd as it was still under warranty. A few days later, they gave me a brand new 4870 1G with a Gigabyte aftermarket cooler, the counter lady told me that they are out of the 512MB model, and this newer model is better. Holy cow, time to crank up the textures and AF to x16.

My GA-MA790FX-DS5 is now with my younger brother with a Phenom X6 1050. Still rock solid and plays games from GTAV to Metal Gear Solid with a 380x at solid framerates. I believe in Gigabyte, solid brand and great customer service.

Back