Is FED monitor technology dead in the water?

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
I have been looking to upgrade my Dell 2405 LCD for sometime now to something that has better blacks akin to my old Viewsonic CRT. I did purchase a refurb FW900, but it looked like it had a lot of hours behind its belt and despite all sorts of adjustments and tweaking at a monitor repair shop I was unable to get the convergence and black levels sorted. Like my Dell 2405, blacks appeared as more of a dark reddish grey than black. The thing is, I absolutely love the sharpness of my current LCD, but the poor black level and motion blur have really taken taken away from my enjoyment of gaming on the PC. It's great for work doing graphics, but doesn't hold a candle to my old 21" Viewsonic CRT in terms of flexibility in scaling and image quality. I was really excited THREE YEARS AGO when I read that FED technology was on the brink of being released to consumers, supposedly remedying the flaws inherent with todays LCD's. Unfortunately, today there seems to be not a peep in the media about the technology, and I fear it may be vaporware like the (in)famous Duke Nukem Forver and the Bit Boys GPU.

Price is not really an issue for me, I just want something that gives me black blacks once again, and has the vibrance that my old CRT used to have. So far, my now aging Dell 2405 is falling short in this area. I'm not too sure how much LCD tech has advanced since the purchase of my Dell unit, but I would assume black levels are something that are always going to be problematic with the tech, and as such there is no point upgrading to another display using the same panel tech. Am I correct?

Sony is also actively developing FED, so we might see those screens soon as well. I've heard rumours about next year :)

Expect PC monitors based on SED/FED to appear in the professional graphics editing and similar markets first at prices you could build a really nice PC from. By 2010/11 there might be some more mainstream monitors as well, though.

Me? I'm just scrounging up piles of free (and still very nice) CRTs people are giving away for free :)

SED/FED have never been mentioned, by the potential manufacturers, for use as computer monitors. They are aiming for TVs first. Now considering that no actual TV product has been announced you can put this on your list with flying cars.

SED/FED/OLED are so far out you shouldn't bother thinking about them for monitor technologies. You will probably go through two more LCDs before there is an affordable SED/FED/OLED monitor.

Nice to dream about, but it isn't coming anytime soon. Some of these won't ever transition to monitors even if they become TV panels. How many years have we had Plasma TV? See an Plasma monitors?

Until something is actually announced on the monitor front, you can count on an LCD future. I don't expect a real alternative till 2012 earliest.

. . . which is why I gently massage my FW900 every night and tell it that I love it.

I think you should consider trading up your 2405 PVA LCD for a newer S-IPS based LCD like the 3007-HC or 3008WFP (or other LG S-IPS-based panels). Good blacks and color repro, response times etc.

I'm currently rocking a Sony 23" S-IPS panel at home and 2x 20" 2007FP S-IPS panels at work. My subjective opinion is that they're much better than any TN or *VA panel I've seen, and at least as good as the Sony Trinitron and Hitachi CRTs they replaced.

-John

SED/FED have never been mentioned, by the potential manufacturers, for use as computer monitors. They are aiming for TVs first. Now considering that no actual TV product has been announced you can put this on your list with flying cars.

The current FEDs were developed for the broadcast-monitor market (and likely also fit well into the medical field), the 60'' TV version in discussion seems to be Sonys backup plan to the scaling problems in OLED development.

SED was intended as TV technology from the start.
FEDs prototypes resemble 19'' pc monitors.

We will see FEDs that could be used as PC monitor in 2009 but they'll initially cost at least as much as the monitors they are supposed to replace ($5000 and up).. http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-videoproduction/product-LMD2450WHD/
possibly even this much:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-evaluationgrademonitors/product-BVML230/

How many years have we had Plasma TV? See an Plasma monitors?

I've seen a few, a looong time ago, the main problems were (and still are) burn in and screen resolution (big plasma cells), and for laptops, power consumption. Unlike FED and OLED plasma never suited well for PC monitors.

I... for a newer S-IPS based LCD like the 3007-HC or 3008WFP (or other LG S-IPS-based panels). Good blacks and color repro, response times etc.
-John

Em, NO! Older S-IPS had better IQ than the current generation LCDs. Those have very poor black levels (0.2 cd/m MORE than previous gen), uniformity problems

Back