Is F.3.A.R. a steam only game?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
as title, do you know if steam 3 is a steam only game?

If I bought it in a retail box, should I use steam to play it?

steam is just a manager to play games, buying it on steam means u dont have to leave your house. Adding the retail version to steam is just like adding a shortcut.

steam is just a manager to play games, buying it on steam means u dont have to leave your house. Adding the retail version to steam is just like adding a shortcut.

you don't answered my question, if I bought f3ar in retail box, can I avoid using steam?

From a quick google search, it looks like it's a Steamworks title. So yes it'll require Steam.

so I can't play it in lan with my brothers for coop session if I don't buy two copyes, not good.

Which is the way it should be.. Two people playing a single game on separate machines should require two copies. It only makes sense.

Someone mentioned in another thread about signing into Steam on one machine and going offline. Then signing into steam on machine and going offline. Then playing on the Lan.

How true that is I haven't a clue. Google for it! :)

You don't even have to sign off just right click steam icon and hit exit but don't close your game.

ok, this is your hopinion, nothing more.

No it isn't his opinion. You want to play 1 copy of the game at the same time on 2 different machines. That is not what you buy when you purchase the game, the license for it is for 1 machine to use it at a time.

Also, the people above did answer your question, you can offline steam do it LAN as long as it does not connect to the internet to do it.

I sort of see his point if it was just, say my little brother coming over for the weekend where he'd only play one session. I wonder if you can do a Steam guest pass for F3AR?, that would be ideal :)

No it is part of a games EULA. Which last I checked.. was a fact?

every other title let us play in coop mode with only one license, infact generally games permits three different activations in the same time.

every other title let us play in coop mode with only one license, infact generally games permits three different activations in the same time.

oh hun, but that's just not true....MOST games require you to pay for each license. The games with multiple licenses per copy are few and in between. Only because you can install a game on 3 computers, doesn't mean you can play on 3 computers simultaniously. What your're most likely doing is simply illegal.

oh hun, but that's just not true....MOST games require you to pay for each license. The games with multiple licenses per copy are few and in between. Only because you can install a game on 3 computers, doesn't mean you can play on 3 computers simultaniously. What your're most likely doing is simply illegal.

this is simply not true.
I buy tons of games, don't say me what is legal and what it isn't.

this is simply not true.
I buy tons of games, don't say me what is legal and what it isn't.

Look Davide, it's of course your choice to believe what you want but i highly suggest to read the license agreements of most games. Maybe they're different in Italy but i think not.

as title, do you know if steam 3 is a steam only game?

If I bought it in a retail box, should I use steam to play it?

FEAR 2 bought in retail, launched Steam to install the game, so unless something changed, I would say FEAR 3 will do the same. So no, you can't avoid steam.

Seriously?

Let me go out and buy 1 copy of Microsoft Office and share it with 3 other people, we're in the same office and everything :)

Actually when I recently bought a retail copy of office recently it allowed me (it said this on the box too) to install on 3 computers (and listed this one the box)...I even use 2 at the same time, and gave the code to my friend to install on a laptop. :p

Actually when I recently bought a retail copy of office recently it allowed me (it said this on the box too) to install on 3 computers (and listed this one the box)...I even use 2 at the same time, and gave the code to my friend to install on a laptop. :p

Student and Teach edition does not count! :D

A long time ago, many games would require authentication when playing locally (for LAN purposes,) but would for internet games. I don't know about recent games, as I don't do the LAN thing as much these days. Also, with Steam, while I'm sure there are ways to do this (as mentioned with the Offline thing,) I'm not sure if you're supposed to. Doesn't much matter to me what you want to do with your games, so try all you want, but it probably isn't INTENDED to work this way anymore.

On the few occasions I have gotten together with a few friends in the same room, I just buy them licenses for whatever we're going to play. (because I'm usually the one that initiates the gatherings in the first place) :D

Back