is eMMC really at 400MB/s? As on my tablet is very slow

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
according to this link, eMMC is 400MB/s

https://www.windowscentral.com/emmc-vs-ssd

but on my lenovo tablet, it's so slow, to load a tiny 1 MB file, takes a noticeably delay on the time frame of 5+ sec.

Boot up is also slow. On my old PC, running SSD at 600MB/s, it takes 7 sec., on this 3 yr. old tablet, it takes much longer to load up windows, much longer than 7 sec.. If eMMC is really at 400MB/s, there is no way it takes that long to load up windows.

I am very tempted to install a SD card on the side of the tablet, and save these 1 MB file there, and see if loading those tiny 1 MB file be faster. Now, SD Card is only 12MB/sec, but at this pt., I won't be surprise if it's still faster than the eMMC

Different types of solid state work well with different types of files. Also, a PC is cooled differently than a tablet. So running a drive full tilt on a PC that can dissipate heat but a tablet won't be able to.

The eMMC might support that speed but the hardware surrounding it may not, such as controllers.

The bus may be that fast, but some eMMC is faster than others. The bus may also be hamstrung by other parts of the system, such as the processor or the controller, as aunt j pointed out.

I had a Leveno tablet that ran Android. The thing just slowly drove its self into the ground. I searched how to speed up old tablets and got it running at a good clip by it quickly degraded again. They might be using some very cheap drives that don't manage wear well or some such deficiency.

in the end, you guys are right, turns out it could be that Intel Atom CPU. But I wasn't trying to save $. I use a tablet just for reading novel. So I want a 10" screen. For 10" screen, all I can find is intel Atom CPU.

Low power CPU, single channel ram and a chopped down storage bandwidth with a single chip SSD solution with limited data lanes.

What could go wrong?

Back