Is DOSBox Staging better than real Retro PC? Part 2 Audio Sound and Music

erek

[H]F Junkie
"I tested the latest version of DOSBox Staging, one of many flavours of DOSBox. In this video we take a look at the audio, sound and music and find out of modern DOSBox has surpassed the real thing, the DOS Retro Gaming PC!"

WTF is a dosbox staging?
1678494754381.png

More relevant to part 1 (visual stuff), but for me the killer feature of dosbox-staging compared to vanilla dosbox is the vrr support.

Will this help me enjoy Jumpman, or KQ1-3, or Space Quest more?

MT-32 on the Pi is why I finally sold my MT-32 with ROM 1.06. Output is "cleaner" and I can switch between the CM-32L mode for the games that prefer the "new" MT-32 and the MT-32 1.06 ROM for those games that need the "old" MT-32 (for those that don't know, they aren't 100% compatible because some game developers relied on bugs in the hardware on the older units to make some of their sounds - and those games sound wrong on the newer units. Music written fort the newer units would also sometimes cause buffer overruns on the older units).

Having had a genuine MT-32 "old" unit and the Pi-32 - I can tell you that sound-wise, it is spot on.

I love stuff like this. Whenever I set up a Dosbox for retrogaming spree I always use Munt for MT32 supporting games and it is my preferred option for sound if available. Perfect balance between "realistic" midi sound and videogamey synth-like sound.
And for those later games that don't support MT32 I opt for Yamaha S-YXG50 or 70 because unlike Rolands equivalent they are abandonware and still sound great in most games. 👍 And if Yamaha fails then OPL3 emulation is a fallback option that always sounds good and nostalgic.

I should give Game Blaster emulation a go though, it is almost like a NES sound in a PC.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
Back