Is Direct2drive a decent source for games?

knobbicus

Limp Gawd
I've used Steam a bunch and have had great experiences with it. But there is an older game I'd like to get- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory- from 2006 or 2007 I think, that isn't available on Steam but is available on Direct2drive.

So, what are people experiences with D2D? Is it reliable? Or should I look around town more to see if I can find a hard copy? I like the ability to avoid having a disc in the drive, but I don't know how D2D's support is..

Any comments appreciated.

I have never had a problem with them. I have bought at least 10 games from them. I do prefer steam but if steam dosent have what I am looking for I go straight to D2D

I've never had any issues with them, and I've bought about 6 or 7 games from them.

Yeah, D2D is great, just log in and whatever game you bought will be right there for you to download however many times you want. Stay the hell away from EAs store though, it's garbage.

I'm actually moving pretty much completely to D2D from Steam (with the obvious exception of Valve games...when the hell is Ep 3 coming out???).

Over the years I had always been a fan of steam, probably have about 25+ games form them. But recently I've run into a few issues where patches were released for a game that weren't available for the Steam version. Sometimes the patches are absolutely critical to even be able to play (like having an out of date patch and not being able to join online games with people with the current patch). It's always the same respones from Steam "it's the publishers fault, they haven't given us a patch". And the patches released from the publishers aren't usually compatible with the Steam version.

Now it may very well be the publishers fault, but i bought the game from Steam. It's their responsibility to provide me with a working version as if I bought retail. I shoudln't have to worry about a "steam version" not being compatible with store bought ones.

D2D copies are, from what I've experienced, the exact same as store bought games, and so far the half dozen or so games I've bought from them have been trouble free and I've been completely satisfied. Just wished their library was bigger.

Good Ole games GOG.com
I just bought Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics from them last week and am very pleased. Granted, I haven't downloaded them yet, but it seems they have a whole slew of things downloadable, including avatars, soundtracks, manuals, etc. in addition to the actual game.

But alas, you won't find SC:CT on GOG. :p

I've never heard of them. What is their user license like? Is it as ball crushing as Steam's?

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like D2D is a viable alternative. I think for $10 I'm willing to bite and see how it works out.

i've bought one game of D2D and it was painless. I got to download the game in EXE form and even put it on a dvd to save it.

My only experience with D2D was pre-ordering Mass Effect. I eneded up winning a copy thanks to a contest Bioware put on, so I had to contact them to get my money back and cancel the pre-order. They responded to my email the next day and instantly refunded my money. So that gave me good hope for them. That being said, I have yet to actually use them after that. I kind of forget they exist until someone brings them up to me.

Back