Is cyberpunk 2077 too big? Failure imminent?

Is it too big and doomed for failure?

• Total voters

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Mates, since I am on borrowed time, taco will get straight to the point. It Is 11:24p.m.

Is Cyberpunk2077 becoming too big? Here's what I'm afraid of, lads. It is packed with so much content, you may get too lost in the game world, lose focus dare I say?

I've seen their trailers and it seems like they have this complete virtual life brewing inside the game. Don't get taco wrong, content is good, but is too much content...good?

The campaign is supposed to be shorter than the Witcher III's. Yeah, there is a lot of hype around the game but I don't think it's unreasonable. The company has been pretty transparent about what the game is and what it will be like. As for losing focus, etc. I don't know. It's next to impossible to tell without playing the game.

Looks like another Witcher 3 quality game. Hopefully the story is good, generally the game play of those games is a bit behind. I loved all of them, but you're not exactly playing for the action.

Looks like another Witcher 3 quality game. Hopefully the story is good, generally the game play of those games is a bit behind. I loved all of them, but you're not exactly playing for the action.

That's my concern. Though, initial reports are that the action stuff is adequate for the type of game it is.

It's going to be similar to Witcher 3 overall witch wasn't at all complicated or difficult to get into and follow. You do what you want and ignore what you don't.
Even if it's just on par with The Witcher 3 it'll be in the top 5 best games of 2020 and likely 2021. Witcher 3 is still, even when compared to current games, in the top 10 best RPGs/open world games ever.
The "hype" is a Sci-Fi RPG that is of the same quality as Witcher 3, I think CDPR will pull that off just fine. Any major short comings fans of the game agree on will likely be fixed pretty quick given CDPR's history.

CDPR, as currently staffed, is probably one of only 5 or so developers in the world who, I believe, is capable of creating a game that, within reason, matches the hype of said game.

My hope is that the playthroughs are fairly unique for each of the lifepaths. If this is a game I can get a bunch of hours out of and enjoy it, all the better. I'm one of those people who can get hundreds and thousands of hours out of good open world games.

More is more. Better.

But you can do it badly or you can do it great, let's see which it will be. Far Cry definitely these days belongs to the more is worse category IMO where all the added minigames, attachment equipments, skins etc. and such only to me makes it less appealing as the main story seems more like a sidequest. A game which could have become better with "more content / stuff to do" is definitely Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Pub drinking games, pub random outbreak fights, boats, crafting system (from hunted animal hide), fishes/fishing to mention a few. (story interesting enough, little low on stuff to do to make you immersed into the world again).

Last edited:
There were a couple of people who voted "what is Cyberpunk2077". Description in:
Cyberpunk 2077 is an upcoming action role-playing video game developed and published by CD Projekt. It is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Stadia, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S on 19 November 2020. Adapted from the Cyberpunk franchise, the story takes place in dystopian Night City, an open world with six distinct regions. Players assume the first-person perspective of a customizable mercenary known as V, who can acquire skills in hacking and machinery, an arsenal of ranged weapons, and options for melee combat.

Cyberpunk 2077 is played in a first-person perspective as V,[13] a mercenary whose voice,[14] face, hairstyles, body type and modifications, background, and clothing are customisable. Stat categories—Body, Intelligence, Reflexes, Technical, and Cool—are influenced by the character classes that players assume, which are NetRunner (hacking), Techie (machinery), and Solo (combat). The perk tree branches into melee, blades, handguns, shotguns, rifles, sniper rifles, hacking, two-handed combat, assassination, "cold blood", engineering, and athletics. V must consult a "ripperdoc" to upgrade and purchase cyberware implants; black markets offer military-grade abilities.[13][15][16][17][18][19] The rarity of any given equipment is shown by a coloured tier system.[20] V can take cover, aim, run, jump, double jump, and slide.[21][22] Melee strikes can be dealt with close-combat weapons.[16][23] There are three types of ranged weapons, all of which can be customised and modified—Power (standard), Tech (which penetrate walls and enemies), and Smart (with homing bullets).[24][25] Ranged weapons are equipped to ricochet bullets in a target's direction and slow them down in bullet time. Four types of damage can be inflicted and resisted—Physical, Thermal, EMP, and Chemical.[15][19][26] Weapon use increases accuracy and reloading speed, which are manifested in character animations.[27] Gunsmiths repair and upgrade weapons.[16] The game can be completed without killing anyone,[28] with non-lethal options for weapons and cyberware.[5]

The open world metropolis Night City, California consists of six regions—the corporate City Center, immigrant-inhabited Watson, luxurious Westbrook, suburban Heywood, gang-infested Pacifica, and industrial Santo Domingo. Its surrounding area, the Badlands, can also be explored. V navigates these locations on foot and in vehicles, which are subject to either a first or third-person view. In autonomous cars, V can more easily engage in gunplay.[13][20][26][29][30][31] Pedestrians are vulnerable to vehicular collisions.[25] Depending on the location, law enforcement may be alerted if V commits a crime.[32][33] Radio stations are available to listen to.[34] The full day-night cycle and dynamic weather affect the way non-player characters (NPCs) behave.[24][35] V owns an apartment and a garage.[16][36] Night City features non-English-speaking characters, whose languages can be translated with special implants.[37] "Braindance" is a device that allows V to undergo other people's experiences.[38][39] Branching dialogues enable interaction with NPCs and actions in quests.[40] Experience points are obtained from main quests and fuel the stats, while side quests yield "street cred", unlocking skills, vendors, places, and additional quests.[20][24][25][41] Quests are acquired from characters known as Fixers.[25] Throughout the game, V is aided by various companions.[16] Consumables, like soft drinks, are used for healing, and objects can be inspected in V's inventory.[22] Minigames include hacking, boxing, auto racing,[42] martial arts, and shooting ranges.[43] "Game over" messages only appear at the point of death; if a quest is failed, the game moves on all the same.[44] Player choice leads to different endings.[39]

/// From wikipedia.

Thanks for the synpsis Taco, I've heard about it and the development but didn't realize there is an actual story line/campaign. If its like W3 it should do well.

There were a couple of people who voted "what is Cyberpunk2077".
I voted for that because there wasn't an option for being (slightly) concerned that it will be too streamlined and short after their comments about trimming it down from the size and complexity of the storyline in TW3. TW3 did drag a bit at times and parts of the story did get a little confusing so there is room to improve there but overall I really liked that it was a big rambling story that fequently went off on unexpected tangents so I hope they don't deviate from that too much.

Everything I have seen so far looks like just what I want, so I am excited.

I pre-ordered as soon as it was available on Steam solely based on me liking Witcher 3 (I played ~150 hours with it and the DLCs) . I've ignored most of the marketing, I'll probably launch the game when it releases and briefly play with it, but won't start playing until I have a new GPU (currently GTX 1080).

I voted "What is Cyberpunk2077" because I don't care for the hype. I'll probably enjoy it. Stop buying up all the RTX 3080s.

I have a hard time believing that Cyberpunk 2077 will live up to the hype, but that may just be because it doesn't really interest me to begin with. I really liked Witcher 3 (and Witcher 1 and 2), but this doesn't look even remotely the same.

I'm sure it'll be good, but I have my doubts that it will be "worth buying an RTX 3090" good.
It's going to be similar to Witcher 3 overall witch wasn't at all complicated or difficult to get into and follow. You do what you want and ignore what you don't.
Even if it's just on par with The Witcher 3 it'll be in the top 5 best games of 2020 and likely 2021. Witcher 3 is still, even when compared to current games, in the top 10 best RPGs/open world games ever.
The "hype" is a Sci-Fi RPG that is of the same quality as Witcher 3, I think CDPR will pull that off just fine. Any major short comings fans of the game agree on will likely be fixed pretty quick given CDPR's history.

CDPR, as currently staffed, is probably one of only 5 or so developers in the world who, I believe, is capable of creating a game that, within reason, matches the hype of said game.
What are the other devs you think could pull this off?

I have a hard time believing that Cyberpunk 2077 will live up to the hype, but that may just be because it doesn't really interest me to begin with. I really liked Witcher 3 (and Witcher 1 and 2), but this doesn't look even remotely the same.

I'm sure it'll be good, but I have my doubts that it will be "worth buying an RTX 3090" good.

What are the other devs you think could pull this off?

I meant more that there are a small handful of devs that, for me, create games that are capable of living up to the hype. Not necessarily devs that could pull off Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 because honestly, I don't think I could name a single dev that I trust enough at the moment to be able to do what CDPR can do. As far as devs that, for me, have always been able to live up to the hype are of course CDPR, Naughty Dog, Larian Studios and... that's actually all I can think of off the top of my head.

Too big is when there is crap filler in between to stretch the game out. If they follow what they did with Witcher 3, it will be just the right amount of side quests that you can take/leave and just the right length of main story. I dont believe this game is to be completed in a weekend or two. I spent $60 on it, I think it will far pay for itself over the length of the game.

I have some concerns. I fear bullet sponge is a big possibility, plus overuse of forced failures in the narrative are my two biggest concerns.
I'm also not a fan of FPS only view. I don't want to customize my character then never actually see it except maybe in cutscenes.

Bigger is only a problem if it's padding, or grind.

Oh, and I Hope it has nothing in common with the Witcher3, but that's a safe assumption since it's a completely different genre.

Mates, since I am on borrowed time, taco will get straight to the point. It Is 11:24p.m.

Is Cyberpunk2077 becoming too big? Here's what I'm afraid of, lads. It is packed with so much content, you may get too lost in the game world, lose focus dare I say?

I've seen their trailers and it seems like they have this complete virtual life brewing inside the game. Don't get taco wrong, content is good, but is too much content...good?
taco needs to stop braking his character. :playful:

I don't think it will, but people seem to have lower standards. Novigrad in Witcher 3 seems to have been held to a super high standard as being very alive and detailed, but it wasn't much different from previous games in the past.

Depends what you mean by failure, I think it will be a success before people have time to feel that getting too much lost in the game world is an issue (if it achieve to do that, isn't a form of success ?, has long as a game engage you that working, regardless in what way)

How can getting lost in a giant Cyberpunk city be a bad thing? Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of map augmentations that will help you get back to what you're doing... ...you know... ...if you're a pansy. :p

Seems to me that there are probably enough side quests and random encounter type things packed into this to keep you busy even if you wander off the main path.

If people don't have a problem with the garbage side quest that mostly make up ES games then it shouldn't be a problem here.

If people don't have a problem with the garbage side quest that mostly make up ES games then it shouldn't be a problem here.
Hey now it's not fair to lump Morrowind or even Oblivion side quests in with the fill in the blank side quests of Skyrim.

The side quests in the Witcher games are generally much better than any of the ES games though so I expect the same to be true for CP.

Hey now it's not fair to lump Morrowind or even Oblivion side quests in with the fill in the blank side quests of Skyrim.

The side quests in the Witcher games are generally much better than any of the ES games though so I expect the same to be true for CP.
But skyrim is like the best and most beloved game ever.

: Gags:

Last edited:
Debating a product that isn't released yet is pointless imo. How are any of us supposed to add any educated input? This is dartboard speculation that can only consist of opinion.

Once we can actually experience the game and give legitimate feedback, then I'll add my $.02

Debating a product that isn't released yet is pointless imo. How are any of us supposed to add any educated input? This is dartboard speculation that can only consist of opinion.

Once we can actually experience the game and give legitimate feedback, then I'll add my $.02

It is completely speculation. It’s also of course friendly discussion. Probably out of boredom because none of the good games are out yet :D

I think its going to be plagued with performance issues and not have the features that people saw at E3, much like the Witcher 3. It'll take a couple of years to get it up to snuff to what people expected.

I think its going to be plagued with performance issues and not have the features that people saw at E3, much like the Witcher 3. It'll take a couple of years to get it up to snuff to what people expected.

On current gen consoles, I concur.

They lost me switching to first person.

Why? This doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose its preference, but I don't get it. First person has always been more immersive to me. I don't need to constantly "see my character."

I have some concerns. I fear bullet sponge is a big possibility, plus overuse of forced failures in the narrative are my two biggest concerns.
I'm also not a fan of FPS only view. I don't want to customize my character then never actually see it except maybe in cutscenes.

Bigger is only a problem if it's padding, or grind.

Oh, and I Hope it has nothing in common with the Witcher3, but that's a safe assumption since it's a completely different genre.

I agree with most of this, although I don't care about it being first person. I'm glad it is. I'm not into third person shooting mechanics. They suck.

Why? This doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose its preference, but I don't get it. First person has always been more immersive to me. I don't need to constantly "see my character."
I simply don't find first person games immersive. I much prefer isometric or third person games.

Third person is less immersive by definition. It's no longer you, it's you watching a character. Immersion is the dumbest argument for third person. Imagine playing a third person game in the most immersive format, VR. lmao.

Legitimate reasons for third person mode is so that it's easier to see how your character is fitting in with the surrounding environment. For example it's hard to tell if your body is behind cover in a first person view. In real life it's easy because you're moving your entire body and have an idea where every bit of it is, in a game you don't have anywhere near that control of your body.

If you're trying to aim and shoot stuff third person can get very annoying.

Third person is less immersive by definition. It's no longer you, it's you watching a character. Immersion is the dumbest argument for third person. Imagine playing a third person game in the most immersive format, VR. lmao.
That was my first reflex to thing something into those line, but like you said afterward in real life you know much more about yourself than just what you see, human have many senses from hunger, spatial orientation to joint rotation (Proprioception), and third person can give someone more of what you normally would feel has an experience, making it subjectively more immersive one to some people, but it is surprising to read. That said first person remove a lot of the natural knowledge of your body, so when you think about it specially among a generation of gamers for which the genre has been so dominant.

I simply don't find first person games immersive. I much prefer isometric or third person games.
Have you ever played a flight / racing simulator in VR (or VR at all) that seem extremely counter intuitive, VR seem to me to be by a very large margin the most immersive experience and first person, I would be curious do you have any impression why that the case ?

First and third person highlight completely different goals in gameplay as well as character.

Personal prefernce is of course allowed. But neither is strictly better than the other.

when Godfall has much higher system requirements you know something is wrong...

Last edited:
when Godfall 3 has much higher system requirements you know something is wrong...
Godfall is being released in PS5 and PC.
CP2077 is being released on current gen from 2013.

And by the time Godfall 3 will be released, of course it will have much higher system reqs.

I don't want to constantly see it, but I do want to see my character on demand and not just through the inventory screen. Maybe there will be a photo mode for that hopefully. Or some modder can create it.
I agree with most of this, although I don't care about it being first person. I'm glad it is. I'm not into third person shooting mechanics. They suck.
To me it feels no different. When I first strated playing FarCry5 I didn't even notice the switch from 3rd person to fps view after Wildlands. It seemed exactly the same game, only slightly smaller and worse in every way.

Back