Is Corsair Trying To Fool Us?

• Thread starter Deleted member 214115
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 214115

Recently my step father wanted a computer built for him. So, I configured a 4770 system, and purchased some Vengeance 1600MHz C9 RAM. After Windows was installed I paid attention to the POST screen and noticed the RAM was only at 1333MHz. I used the UEFI to check the SPD and noticed that the timings were JEDEC up to 1333MHz and that 1600MHZ was only capable when using the XMP; which has worse timings (C10/2T). I order a completely different set of Vengeance C10 RAM from Corsair and the same timings were configured; JEDEC 1333MHz (1T) and XMP1600MHz (2T).

Now the interesting thing is this. You pay for lower latency C9 RAM at 1600MHz but the memory can only be used in C10/2T timings! Only when the JEDEC 1333MHz SPD timing are used will the RAM be at C9 and 1T timings. I called Newegg, and spoke with a “Product Support” rep. He said all 1600MHz is configured this way on 1150 motherboards. I told him this is incorrect. There is a standard timing for 1600MHz and that the RAM is not true 1600MHZ supporting RAM. I also informed him of my Corsair RAM that I purchased for my 3770 about a few years ago is JEDEC 1600MHz C10 1T (XMP 1600MHz C10 2T), and is a perfect example of what I am arguing about.

He wanted me to flash the UEFI again, which is unnecessary. Even contact Asus for suport, which is not the root of the problem in my opinion. I informed him that the problem is the RAM and how it is configured to not be JEDEC 1600MHz RAM.

If my argument is correct I will NEVER buy Corsair products again; and neither should you. If I am wrong, then does the issue lie truly with Asus' firmware reading the SPD? But how can this be so if the SPD is configured as a lesser and not to JEDEC standards for 1600MHz?

Any rebuttals, thoughts?

LOOOOL. sorry but corsair its not trying to fool people, corsair does not have any fault in people being fool to don't know what are doing with a machine.

First, no matter what brand or kind of memory you buy, when you install it, it will be recognized at 1333mhz. why? because thats its the Standard, anything above 1333mhz its considered Overclocking, and all of those memory with more than 1333mhz are Considered Factory Overclocked thats a fact, if you bought a Memory that are rated to be 1600mhz 9-9-9-24, then as you discovered you have two options, set the speed manually or select the X.M.P which its just Extreme Memory Profile that only report to the motherboard their rated speed and timings, however in some motherboards this its not correctly reported and can be wrongly set the timing.. if the memory its 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 then in the box should say that, check in the Part Number in the box, it should be something like this if you bought a 8GB kit: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, if you see its 1600C9 thats the rated speed and timings, there no such thing as JEDEC 1600MHZ RAM in the world, and thats what difference the price from all the kits, just because its 1600mhz not mean its CL9, the most commong are 1600mhz CL10, but there are CL9, CL8 and even some expensive one that are CL7 from factory.. if you have problems with your XMP, then just select manually your timings in BIOS, if the Memory its rated for those timings then should accept without any issue.

if you have problems with your XMP, then just select manually your timings in BIOS, if the Memory its rated for those timings then should accept without any issue.

New wrinkle is that the Memory Controller is now on the CPU itself with the 4th gen Intels. What this has brought about is a new angle to the silicone lottery. Not all chips (even of the same model) will be able to handle, say, 2800MHz RAM. Some will have better memory controller quality than others. Strange.

New wrinkle is that the Memory Controller is now on the CPU itself with the 4th gen Intels. What this has brought about is a new angle to the silicone lottery. Not all chips (even of the same model) will be able to handle, say, 2800MHz RAM. Some will have better memory controller quality than others. Strange.

wrong. the IMC its used since Nehalem, I guess what you mean its haswell have Integrated Voltage Regulator (IVR) and that have nothing to do with the Memory Controller,

wrong. the IMC its used since Nehalem, I guess what you mean its haswell have Integrated Voltage Regulator (IVR) and that have nothing to do with the Memory Controller,

:rolleyes: OK WRONG- Internal Memory Controller has been used longer than Haswell

But yeah, I wasn't talking about the IVR. I was talking about how different chips of the same type have different quality memory controllers. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, though.

LOOOOL. sorry but corsair its not trying to fool people, corsair does not have any fault in people being fool to don't know what are doing with a machine.

First, no matter what brand or kind of memory you buy, when you install it, it will be recognized at 1333mhz. why? because thats its the Standard, anything above 1333mhz its considered Overclocking, and all of those memory with more than 1333mhz are Considered Factory Overclocked thats a fact, if you bought a Memory that are rated to be 1600mhz 9-9-9-24, then as you discovered you have two options, set the speed manually or select the X.M.P which its just Extreme Memory Profile that only report to the motherboard their rated speed and timings, however in some motherboards this its not correctly reported and can be wrongly set the timing.. if the memory its 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 then in the box should say that, check in the Part Number in the box, it should be something like this if you bought a 8GB kit: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, if you see its 1600C9 thats the rated speed and timings, there no such thing as JEDEC 1600MHZ RAM in the world, and thats what difference the price from all the kits, just because its 1600mhz not mean its CL9, the most commong are 1600mhz CL10, but there are CL9, CL8 and even some expensive one that are CL7 from factory.. if you have problems with your XMP, then just select manually your timings in BIOS, if the Memory its rated for those timings then should accept without any issue.

Nothing but an ignorant and asinine post, and a simple Wiki search will show you your way back to your hole. Firstly, Intel supports JEDEC 1600Mhz standard with their integrated controller. To say that it is not a standard only means that you are the fool, and completely ignorant on the matter. The RAM modules purchased are 1600MHz RAM before they are anything related to overclocking, as for how the are noted when purchasing. For the record I buy compliant standard RAM, that is 1.5v, et al. I suggest you read a little. Especially, my initial post in which I have JEDEC C10 1600MHz ram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

What this has brought about is a new angle to the silicone lottery. Not all chips (even of the same model) will be able to handle, say, 2800MHz RAM.

I am talking about standards, not any over clocking on manual configuration for timings necessary. These are JEDEC standards for RAM in which I am talking about. Above 2133MHz, or anything not supported by controller, and then it will be overclocking, but this is NOT the subject matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am talking about standards, not any over clocking on manual configuration for timings necessary. These are JEDEC standards for RAM in which I am talking about. Above 2133MHz, or anything not supported by controller, and then it will be overclocking, but this is NOT the subject matter.

Hey cool, just thought I'd jump into the conversation about weird stuff with RAM, didn't realize we had to comment on your exact choice of "subject matter", which was pretty much opened and shut with the first response you got. How about you send your RAM back and see if it solves your problem.

Hey cool, just thought I'd jump into the conversation about weird stuff with RAM, didn't realize we had to comment on your exact choice of "subject matter", which was pretty much opened and shut with the first response you got. How about you send your RAM back and see if it solves your problem.

I understand your thoughts, and I do not mean for my emphasis on "NOT" to seem that I am angry, or acting mean. You are theorizing something entirely different, and I think I may have stumbled upon something big'ish. Araxie's reply to my original post, though, is entirely different; not a single clue and that is something to be irritated about. Especially, when he decides to accuse one as a fool.

which was pretty much opened and shut with the first response you got.

No it is not.

Well, seriously, though. The implementation of these JEDEC and SPD tables is up to the devs of the UEFI/BIOS so... just enter the correct timings (which are probably very conservative) manually as any RAM manufacturer will advise you when this comes up... and it comes up alllllllllll the time. Look at Newegg's reviews for any RAM kits, including 1600MHz kits which really aren't overclocked at all to me, and still some boards get it wrong and people are constantly accusing the RAM manufacturers of this, when all that needs to be done is a manual change of settings in BIOS.

That's what I think, anyway. The RAM you have is rated 1600 Mhz and will probably do 1866, too. Just the JEDEC or SPD or XMP tables or whatever in your BIOS aren't matching up with what the manufacturer's specs are supposed to be.

Well, seriously, though. The implementation of these JEDEC and SPD tables is up to the devs of the UEFI/BIOS so... just enter the correct timings (which are probably very conservative) manually as any RAM manufacturer will advise you when this comes up... and it comes up alllllllllll the time

There are standards and yes there can be issues in which the UEFI/BIOS will not read the timings properly. I have seen it and experience that, but was always fixed with a minor update and never was much of an issue; and Asus it really good about reading the SPD and being compliant. Again, what others may experience can be related to non standard RAM. But these are standards and here is finally an example of my JEDEC timing Corsair Vengeance RAM and the recent Corsair Vengeance RAM for the 4770

JEDEC Standard 1600MHz:
https://imageshack.com/i/16pm8qp

Non-JEDEC Standard 1600MHz:
https://imageshack.com/i/0scmszp

Note that the standard RAM is PC3-12800J which exactly correlates with exactly as I said with JEDEC standards (q.v. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM) However, note that the other RAM is PC3-10700 ONLY! And to support 1600 you have to run XMP. There is no JEDEC timing at all with memory.

This is what makes me think that they are selling lower standard RAM and claiming them to be performance RAM by using XMP's.

Overclock that shit. This isn't Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura. Run it at 1600 CAS 9.

Overclock that shit. This isn't Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura. Run it at 1600 CAS 9.

The point of this all, is about the standards in which the memory should be and was paid for but however is not. No overclocking of the RAM is going to happen, nor change of timings, etc.

This system and the questionable RAM is all about falseness of what is said to be 1600MHz RAM when the evidence points to the possibility of Corsair selling lower rated RAM for higher cost, but making it usable at the purchased PC/speed rating only when an extended memory profile is used.

The point of this all, is about the standards in which the memory should be and was paid for but however is not. No overclocking of the RAM is going to happen, nor change of timings, etc.

This system and the questionable RAM is all about falseness of what is said to be 1600MHz RAM when the evidence points to the possibility of Corsair selling lower rated RAM for higher cost, but making it usable at the purchased PC/speed rating only when an extended memory profile is used.

Your screenshots show the exact same ending to the part numbers of your RAM.1600C10
This is the RAM you purchased, apparently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

So it shouldn't necessarily run at CL9 anyway. Is the sticker on your modules saying CL9? Where did you get them from? The box says they are rated for CL9?

So it shouldn't necessarily run at CL9 anyway. Is the sticker on your modules saying CL9? Where did you get them from? The box says they are rated for CL9?

From original post:

So, I configured a 4770 system, and purchased some Vengeance 1600MHz C9 RAM. After Windows was installed I paid attention to the POST screen and noticed the RAM was only at 1333MHz. I used the UEFI to check the SPD and noticed that the timings were JEDEC up to 1333MHz and that 1600MHZ was only capable when using the XMP; which has worse timings (C10/2T). I order a completely different set of Vengeance C10 RAM from Corsair and the same timings were configured; JEDEC 1333MHz (1T) and XMP1600MHz (2T).

I have kept in the system the C10 RAM at the moment.

ezgif-save_zps3ce586c3.gif~original

Motherboard makers have issued BIOS updates for "Improved memory compatibility," to quote MSI, but I don't know if that applies to your Asus mobo..

Is your memory running 1600 MHz C10 2T because that's what's specified in the XMP, or does the BIOS choose those speeds? Many BIOSes run the memory slower than XMP or JEDEC profiles when more than one module is installed.

Corsair actually is trying to fool customers but no more than about any other maker of retail modules. For example, here's some faster 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance made from chips rated for only JEDEC 1333 MHz, C9 (-15E grade):

normal_CorsariVengeanceCMY16GX3M2A1866C9_042.jpg

Worse, those chips are Spectek, not a major brand Spectek is Micron's division for "refurbished" RAM chips, and apparently they're not screened as stringently as Micron branded chips. I believe Corsair's Dominator line is generally higher quality, meaning 1600 MHz models are probably made from Samsung, Hynix, or Micron branded chips, probably still 1333 MHz.

Maybe you should ask Corsair. I use Mushkin when I can.

I have an RMA set for both Corsair purchases that were made, and have Mushkin in route. I have used them before and like them too. I am hoping and I have a feeling that these will be true PC3-12800 standard CAS 9/1T (1600MHz).

Motherboard makers have issued BIOS updates for "Improved memory compatibility," to quote MSI, but I don't know if that applies to your Asus mobo..

Asus is really good about reading timings from the SPD, and usually Corsair is on the QVL. They do release stability updates, although ambiguous on stability of what was compromised. I always flash to the most recent firmware before installing any OS. However, I am almost positive that this issue is due to Corsair taking lesser RAM and then using XMP to say that they are 1600MHz RAM. When it should be a standard 1600MHz as what is in my system. The first purchase was for 1600MHz CAS 9/1T RAM, and what was received was not even close.

Is your memory running 1600 MHz C10 2T because that's what's specified in the XMP, or does the BIOS choose those speeds? Many BIOSes run the memory slower than XMP or JEDEC profiles when more than one module is installed.

The picture I provided shows the second installed RAM type as PC3-10700 (667MHz). With the JEDEC timing of up to 685MHz, and then a 1600MHz XMP profile. Yes that is what specified for XMP, however, it should be JEDEC of 800MHz timing at C10/1T; and then an XMP of some configuration for 1600MHz.

The standard JEDEC picture I have linked is my system. I purchased 1600MHZ C10 RAM for the 3770 a few years ago. In the CPU-Z capture you can note that it says PC3-12800J (800MHz) which is perfectly JEDEC standard RAM, and the original purchase for the 4770 should have been PC3-12800H. But instead was PC3-10600H that had a 1600MHz XMP that ran at CAS10/2T. What is the point in purchasing CAS 9 RAM that is not JEDEC timings of CAS 9 at 1600MHz, and has a slower command rate too? That was not performance RAM-it is a scam.

Corsair actually is trying to fool customers but no more than about any other maker of retail modules. For example, here's some faster 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance made from chips rated for only JEDEC 1333 MHz, C9 (-15E grade):

This is exactly what I am talking about. You are paying for what is a standard and should work as advertised. It should not be a lower or a non-standard RAM "capable" and not even capable at the advertised speed also!

So basically you are whining that Corsair did not flash the JDEC 1600 specs to the RAM, and so you are being forced to run the XMP profile to get 1600 without setting the speed and timings yourself?

I despise XMP, but am not surprised that almost all RAM these days has an XMP profile or two and a huge lack of proper JDEC timings.

XMP profiles are for NOOBs, and generally are pretty sucky settings in the first place. It has been like that since XMP first came out.

Some motherboards even force the XMP settings if the RAM has an XMP profile, which is another stupid thing as well.

The best bet is to get something with proper JDEC timings that will also properly change timings when adjusting the speed of the RAM.

So basically you are whining that Corsair did not flash the JDEC 1600 specs to the RAM, and so you are being forced to run the XMP profile to get 1600 without setting the speed and timings yourself?

Whining is very inappropriate word considering you cannot read the past posts and noticed how, I have many times, over and over said every answer to your question. I purchased 1600 CAS9 JEDEC standard RAM, and what I got was RAM that was 1333 "capable" of running at 1600 at higher timings. There is no JEDEC programming of the PROM for CAS 9 at 1600 when detected and automatically configured as paid for. Instead, as I have said many, many times now, it is 1333 CAS9 and have to use the XMP to run at 1600 and its higher timings.

I do not want to set any timings manually. I want compliant JEDEC standard timings. It is simple. I paid for it, it is advertised as such, noted as such, etc. It is not difficult people.

I despise XMP, but am not surprised that almost all RAM these days has an XMP profile or two and a huge lack of proper JDEC timings.

It has not been as so, and one of the linked pictures provided it shows how my RAM in my 3770 system is with perfectly compliant RAM from Corsair. Until now, it seems that there is an issue here with non-complaint standards that are being paid for, and how they are advertised.

XMP profiles are for NOOBs, and generally are pretty sucky settings in the first place.

No really!? I just have not been saying that multiple times. You can even see the funny thing about my compliant RAM has some negative attributes compared to the JEDEC standard timing when XMP is used. It is 1T in JEDEC and 2T in XMP. tRC is 2 clocks higher and no telling what other timings are higher. Why the fuck would anyone want to do that...so asinine?

Some motherboards even force the XMP settings if the RAM has an XMP profile, which is another stupid thing as well.

Never have seen this. XMP has always been a manual configuration, never automatic for the motherboards I have selected and used for builds of my own, and for others.

The best bet is to get something with proper JDEC timings that will also properly change timings when adjusting the speed of the RAM.

You think? This is my point. That is what I paid for, but got sub-par RAM that is "capable."

I understand what you're saying Shikami. I bought Corsair memory and it turned out to be 1333 as well. And the kicker is that to get it to run at the advertised speeds I purchased it to run at, I have to over volt it. I'll probably spend more money on ram next time to try and get higher quality ram. The XMP crap doesn't work for my AMD system, so I had to research to find the proper timings.

I've run in to this in the past with various memory brands like G.Skill, Corsair, Team, etc. that don't make their own chips, and it's frustrating as hell.

Since transitioning to Crucial/Micron, I have never had a problem with a motherboard detecting the advertised speed, latencies, and voltage on first power-up. But I'm willing to guess that every brand and model RAM out there has given someone a problem.

I'm anxious to find out what you hear back from Corsair about this. Please keep us posted.

I understand what you're saying Shikami. I bought Corsair memory and it turned out to be 1333 as well. And the kicker is that to get it to run at the advertised speeds I purchased it to run at, I have to over volt it. I'll probably spend more money on ram next time to try and get higher quality ram. The XMP crap doesn't work for my AMD system, so I had to research to find the proper timings.

I had the opposite experience with my Patriot memory. It's rated to run at 1333 mhz CAS 9-9-9-27 2T at 1.65 volts. I've gotten it stable at 1333 mhz CAS 8-8-8-24 1T at 1.425 volts, with correspondingly lower subtimings as well.

Whining is very inappropriate word considering you cannot read the past posts and noticed how, I have many times, over and over said every answer to your question. I purchased 1600 CAS9 JEDEC standard RAM, and what I got was RAM that was 1333 "capable" of running at 1600 at higher timings. There is no JEDEC programming of the PROM for CAS 9 at 1600 when detected and automatically configured as paid for. Instead, as I have said many, many times now, it is 1333 CAS9 and have to use the XMP to run at 1600 and its higher timings.

I do not want to set any timings manually. I want compliant JEDEC standard timings. It is simple. I paid for it, it is advertised as such, noted as such, etc. It is not difficult people.

Exactly what set of RAM did you buy? Do the specs from Corsair specifically say that they have JEDEC 1600 settings? If not, then the 1600 is programmed in XMP only. RAM has been sold like this for years. It should not surprise you one bit.

Motherboards often do not even detect the XMP settings correctly as you have of course found out.

Dude. The label claiming 1600mhz c9 is the overclocked tested rating and the installed XMP profile. NOT THE PLUG AND PLAY FUNCTIONALITY. Only Crucial and Kingston have plug and play functionality like what you're describing.

Its been like this ever since Nehalem came out. 6 years now by my count.

Until you post your ram and prove that it actually claimed JDEC timings, everybody will keep their faces in their hands.

Exactly what set of RAM did you buy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233538 and afterwards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

Do the specs from Corsair specifically say that they have JEDEC 1600 settings?

You tell me:
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R Red)

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Timing 9-9-9-24
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Timing 10-10-10-27
Cas Latency 10
Voltage 1.5V

Obviously so...

If not, then the 1600 is programmed in XMP only.

As I said, this is the problem, and the lie.

RAM has been sold like this for years.

It obviously has not, as I said before all my purchases have been JEDEC standard that I purchased. When I purchased C10 or C9 at the MHz purchased that is what I got (q.v. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040665042&postcount=11)

It should not surprise you one bit.

It doesn't surprise me that they are cheating the consumer. I am more surprised with the ignorance of the tech community.

Motherboards often do not even detect the XMP settings correctly as you have of course found out.

Never was the problem, and never was a problem when I tested the XMP's before. Always read fine. But again I am a bit more specific towards QVL on my purchases.

Dude. The label claiming 1600mhz c9 is the overclocked tested rating and the installed XMP profile.

Incorrect, and I suggest you look at the above references to the memory purchased.

NOT THE PLUG AND PLAY FUNCTIONALITY. Only Crucial and Kingston have plug and play functionality like what you're describing.

Generalizing, incorrect, and this statement really is showing your limited experience and knowledge on the subject matter. All RAM is and has been plug and play-even before SPD was added to the SDRAM. In my 20+ years I have never configured any speed. Even if you had to shunt a jumper for the FSB back in the day, DRAM was still plug and play. It [SDRAM] was always read from SPD when it was added, and set the JEDEC timings that I purchased. Or before SDRAM's SPD was the "PC standard" for the speed (e.g. PC-133) it was a jumper that was always at the default sped that I procured for.

Nope, It has been this way since I started building 486 systems. Although, technically since I started with and Colecovision Adam, I still never had to configure RAM through the years. You can, in the day, configure certain memory BIOS function(s), but it still was drop it in and you can boot. And those functions were not necessary to operate, only minimal performance gain options. Most BIOS's that I configure had these options enabled by default, but again I purchased particular products over the years.

Until you post your ram and prove that it actually claimed JDEC timings, everybody will keep their faces in their hands.

You must have a hard time reading: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040665042&postcount=11

My RAM in use with my 3770. Note, PC3-12800J (q.v.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM)

The Mushkin RAM finally came in yesterday, and we shall see a better picture of what is really happening with a different vendor.

Dude. The label claiming 1600mhz c9 is the overclocked tested rating and the installed XMP profile. NOT THE PLUG AND PLAY FUNCTIONALITY. Only Crucial and Kingston have plug and play functionality like what you're describing.

Its that way on AMD platforms too. 1600 MHz RAM defaults to 1333 MHz. Once you fire it up, you go into the BIOS, you click your mouse maybe 3 times and youre at 1600 MHz and off and running and never have to mess with it again unless you reset your BIOS or CMOS back to default. Guess Im not understanding the problem here either. I guess if OP's beef is that it should default to the advertised speed, well maybe thats a point but its such a simple and 2 second long, one time fix that Ive never even considered it to be a problem.

Its that way on AMD platforms too. 1600 MHz RAM defaults to 1333 MHz. Once you fire it up, you go into the BIOS, you click your mouse maybe 3 times and youre at 1600 MHz and off and running and never have to mess with it again unless you reset your BIOS or CMOS back to default. Guess Im not understanding the problem here either. I guess if OP's beef is that it should default to the advertised speed, well maybe thats a point but its such a simple and 2 second long, one time fix that Ive never even considered it to be a problem.

I think you are not understanding the problem because you are not thinking about the timing of the RAM you have purchased. You are only thinking speed as in I/O bus clock and data rate. I am talking about that AND also CAS timings. Read through and you will see.

Matter of fact I just installed the Mushkin RAM and it is exactly as should be. It is actually being used in XMP for CAS 9/1T as purchased for, and the JEDEC 800MHz is there too in CAS 11/1T.

You are all being ripped off and do not/have not notice this. Soon I will post the links to the Mushkin timing, and I will say that I will NEVER buy Corsair products again after this fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corsair usually post how the ram was rated on their website. Last time I was speccing some 1.35v RAM all their 1600 was listed as being tested by the XMP profile, not spd.

Oh and from the vengeance FAQ:-

8) The fan that came with my memory has started making noise, can I replace the fan under the warranty without sending my memory?

Yes, the 3x 40mm fan part number is CMXAF1 and the 2x 60mm fan is CMXAF2.

9) I purchased a set of memory and I noticed the timings set in the modules SPD is not set the tested spec of the modules; why not?

The tested settings of any given part would normally need to be set manually and the modules SPD will be set to JEDEC standard for the specific part so they will post on any system with default voltage.

10) Which memory should I use with my Intel Core i3 CPU?

The Intel Core i3 CPU is designed for Intel Socket LGA1156 and supports dual channel DDR3 memory configurations. You can find memory designed and tested to run with the Core i3 here, or you can look up your motherboard on our Memory Configurator to get specific memory recommendations for your motherboard.

Last edited:
After your post Nathan I dug a little deeper into the pages of Corsair's memory products. The initial read up was on a page that listed the Vengeance at the speeds of 1600Mhz and upwards. This is here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory and noted as 1600, 1866, 2133 as speeds available. However, on this page (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeancer-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a1600c9g) I looked at the tech specs of RAM that was close to the ones purchased and many others, and it is exactly as I said: SPD Speed 1333MHz.

To me this is bullshit. If the product is going to be listed on Newegg and also on Corsair then it needs to be noted that this RAM is not SPD 1600MHz on initial examination. Which, honestly, it should be from a consumer's point of view. This is caveat emptor, no doubt, and not something they have been doing for a long time. It is recent, and it is deceptive.

How, many have dropped this into their system not knowing that it is not at full speed when configured by SPD? I know there are a few. I looked into it. Then I said that this was okay to run XMP, but the timings were worse; and that made it not okay. I do not want to configure timings on a business system. The builds I make are robust and stable. Therefore, I want the proper timings encoded as should be and if there is an XMP profile that it should be better than SPD as the Mushkin is.

Newegg seems to be the ultimate evil of it, advertising it as so. But I think that Corsair buries the fact a bit deep and is deceptive about it. Truly not a happy person about Corsair and personally I will never buy their products again. As a consumer when I configure something and it is being said as so, it should be so. If not, then there is a problem and others should think the same way.

This reeks, and it reminds me of what Larrymoencurly posted: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040668648&postcount=19. I feel that these products may be inferior and are being grossly exaggerated as 1600MHz RAM. True 1600MHz, as what my argument is.

^ Newegg, like almost every other retailer, gets their product specs from the manufacturers of the products they sell. That is why they have blanket disclaimers.

Newegg said:
Technical Support
Newegg.com does not offer any sort of technical assistance. We cannot offer advice on compatibility of items, make product recommendations, provide technical support or sales advice. We post all of the information the manufacturer provides us with for your convenience. Please contact the manufacturer directly for accurate answers to your technical questions or for additional information or specifications that are not posted at Newegg.com.
Marketplace: If you purchase an item from a Newegg Marketplace seller and need technical support, please direct your requests for technical assistance to that seller. However, please be aware that certain Marketplace sellers may not offer technical assistance. Check the Seller's Policy Page of individual Marketplace sellers for details.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/PolicyAgreement.aspx

^ Newegg, like almost every other retailer, gets their product specs from the manufacturers of the products they sell. That is why they have blanket disclaimers.

Note, that I did say "Newegg seems to be the ultimate evil of it, advertising it as so. But I think that Corsair buries the fact a bit deep and is deceptive about it." Meaning both parties are liable, and are considered equally wrong.

They can still be negligent, and proven as such. Actually, in the original post I spoke with product support, and this rep was saying that all memory was like this now. Benefit of the doubt, he may mean Corsair but I seriously think not.

So they "know" to a certain extent, and having product support seems contra to the "We cannot offer advice on compatibility of items, make product recommendations, provide technical support or sales advice." That was the point of being transferred to product support. Telling me to update UEFI, reflash the UEFI after I mentioned that is always the first thing I do before installation of OS, and such. So, hmn, contradiction indeed, and my reasoning for the above statement.

I had to explain to this person exactly what I meant and he was not even close to being correct. Even said that memory was not like that anymore. The recent purchase is the exact proof of what a basic memory purchase should for 1600MHz should be like.

You can never sign your rights away, and disclaimers do not mean that they cannot be held accountable. What I told Newegg is that the memory should be noted as 1333MHz (SPD), it timings properly noted for XMP, and any necessary manual configuration. Because it is not as it is through the "power search" and the page for the item.

You can never sign your rights away, and disclaimers do not mean that they cannot be held accountable.
Actually you can sign usually your rights away, as proved by the US Supreme court saying that binding arbitration clauses are perfectly legal, even when the arbitrators have a track record of deciding against the consumer in over 98% of the cases. If you want to see how biased arbitrators can be, phone one of the companies listed in your credit cardholder agreement and pretend to be a business interested in hiring them. Either JAMS or FAM told me not worry about unfavorable arbitration decisions. But when I phoned as a consumer and simply wanted to know the track records of their decisions, gosh golly none of them knew that information. You can also sign away your rights with out of court settlements, as a US court ruled last week, when a an $80,000 discrimination settlement with a public school was tossed after the daughter bragged about using the money for a fancy vacation.

What I told Newegg is that the memory should be noted as 1333MHz (SPD), it timings properly noted for XMP, and any necessary manual configuration. Because it is not as it is through the "power search" and the page for the item.
NewEgg tech support was probably simply clueless about the issues involved here, which isn't to say ignorance is a defense for deceptivemarketing. If chip manufacturers thought their DRAM deserved the higher XMP ratings, they'd use those ratings because faster chips command higher prices in the market, but in reality the chips failed testing at anything faster than JEDEC specs.

Shikami,

Thank you for this informaton. This is very good information to know and after this I will pay more attention to my RAM purchases. Second, I will be looking at my RAM I currently have installed from G.Skill to verify them. Also to note to stay away from Corsairs RAM

Not sure about you guys but I've been setting the memory timings / command rate / frequency & memory voltages for at least a decade and this is how I've always resolved the issue. I've always read & even figured that its up to the motherboard to pick up on what frequency/auto settings that are used on your memory modules.

Shikami I understand your point, it basically feels like false advertisement but have you tested it on another board? particular another manufacturer's board? Even a BIOS update can fix the auto frequency for your memory modules (I've noticed this a handful of times with ASUS boards).

Any 1600Mhz memory I've had has always been able to run @ 8-8-8-24 1N (1.50v) or at worst 9-9-9-24 1N (1.50v).

Thanks for posting back with the Mushkin info. I may give them a more serious look for my next ram purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back