Is Core Performance Boost OS dependent? Server 2016 here with 2700x and it is locked for me

MikeRotch

Limp Gawd
TL;DR - Core Performance Boost is disabled and I cannot get it enabled. Have tried changing all BIOS settings I can think of. Is it because I am running Server 2016?

I've checked my BIOS settings over and over, I have ensured EVERYTHING is set correctly. I have a 2700x on Server 2016 since August of last year. I left everything as stock except that I had to enable XMP so my 3200 MHz RAM can run at 2933 MHz. For the life of me I cannot get 4x8GB RAM to run at 3200 MHz. I've tried Ryzen DRAM calculator exhaustively and and no matter what I try, I can't.

Anyway, I'm not here to discuss that. I want to know why despite not touching any settings (except for the aforementioned XMP), HWinfo shows that Core Performance Boost is disabled? I didn't even realize this until a couple days ago when my server was doing some transcodes (so CPU was at full load), that the speed never went above 3.7 GHz and my VCore never rose above 1.1V. So long story short, I downloaded HW info and as shown in the screenshot, CPB is red and bold which means off AND disabled.

I have also updated my BIOS not to the most recent one, but the one before the latest.

I posted this on reddit, and the only good response I got what it's possible that running Server 2016 is what is causing this issue. Someone else replied that they have CPB working with a 2700x and the saem mobo but with Windows 10. Unfortunately right now, I don't have a spare drive, or the time, to install windows 10 on it to see if it is indeed the OS that is causing this. Can anyone deny/confirm that it is the OS?

n4taa11qqim21.jpg

Last edited:
Something is wrong if you can't get Samsung b die to run 3200 reguardless of OS. Get the new Bios, reset to default, then go in and adjust your settings.

Trust me, I've tried everything. I am 99% sure it is the usage of all 4 slots. For my sticks, I can get 2x8GB working fine at 32000 MHz, I just can't get 4x8GB . I've tried using all 4 sticks in all combinations in 2x8GB just in case one was bad, but they all worked. In my research, getting Ryzen to run with 4 sticks above 2400 MHz is damn near impossible. I consider myself lucky to get it to run at 2933. If RAM was cheaper I would sell my 4x8GB and buy 2x16GB but to pay that much more money to get 267 MHz more speed isn't worth it for me.

Last edited:
Have you checked your power settings in Windows? Check that in Advanced Power Settings that Processor Power Management > Maximum Processor State is at 100%.

upload_2019-3-19_12-56-6.png

Trust me, I've tried everything. I am 99% sure it is the usage of all 4 slots. For my sticks, I can get 2x8GB working fine at 32000 MHz, I just can't get 4x8GB . I've tried using all 4 sticks in all combinations in 2x8GB just in case one was bad, but they all worked. In my research, getting Ryzen to run with 4 sticks above 2400 MHz is damn near impossible. I consider myself lucky to get it to run at 2933. If RAM was cheaper I would sell my 4x8GB and buy 2x16GB but to pay that much more money to get 267 MHz more speed isn't worth it for me.
Supposedly 2x16 is harder to get to 3200 than 4x8 according to elmor, but that's launch info (3/2017). I can't get my 2x16 past 2933 either.

Thanks for the reply. Someone else in another thread said that the 16GB modules are dual sided and that's tougher in general (not just on Ryzen boards), to get them run at faster rates.

Running FlareX 3200MHz from day1 2700X build on ASUS CH7. Didn't even need to touch anything special other than load the custom profile. CPU is ~4.1GHz on full load with default heatsink.
I bought this set because I read single sided was easier and to look for b die, worked fine.

I am able to hit 3200, but for it to be stable I needed to push 1.35? Volts on the RAM.

Back